The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Wanna see what mass hysteria looks like?/UPDATE Post #41!

Fueled by lies, innuendo, and propaganda, of course. Don't bother commenting, they will just delete you...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2542...type=1&theater

**JFTR, the horse is fine and is being checked by a vet at this moment. The carriage driver is also OK, although the motorcycle driver was taken away in an ambulance. The accident was between an SUV and the motorcycle, we're not sure how the horse and carriage were involved, especially since horse, driver, and carriage are all intact. Details of the entire incident are still sketchy, as this owner is one of the very few not in our association, we don't have direct contact with him. I'll give updates as they come in.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Jun. 9, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: UPDATE - THANK YOU! See Post #41
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

I commented anyway. I doubt if a single person commenting on that thread has ever owned a horse or has even been around a horse. That horse looks totally calm and fine. He has a cut on his head, which might be unfortunate but certainly not a major injury.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I realize that every horse has their own mannerisms, but the floppy lip and what appears to be chewing makes me think that the horse is over it. Smarter than the RARAs, at any rate.

Very glad the carriage driver and horse are okay, and I hope for the best for the motorcycle driver.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I commented anyway. I doubt if a single person commenting on that thread has ever owned a horse or has even been around a horse. That horse looks totally calm and fine. He has a cut on his head, which might be unfortunate but certainly not a major injury.
    Thank you for the reality check. BTW, there always are a couple of horse owners on those threads, believe it or not -- there's one there today, saying her horses are "safe in green pastures", or something along those lines. Yeah, because we all know a horse never injures herself at pasture.

Lemme go see your comment (if it's still there!)

I'm opening a bottle of wine and watching the wingy-dingy's.

Who wants popcorn?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I realize that every horse has their own mannerisms, but the floppy lip and what appears to be chewing makes me think that the horse is over it. Smarter than the RARAs, at any rate.

Very glad the carriage driver and horse are okay, and I hope for the best for the motorcycle driver.
    LOL, I think you are correct, he certainly looks relaxed to me.

Thank you for the well-wishes.

For some reason it won't let me edit my post... but I commented as well. Inca inspired me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I read somewhere years ago that the average person in this country has never skinned a knee, gotten a bloody nose playing a sport or even fallen down while skipping, running, jumping.
    Most people would not believe how we live.

And the horse looks fine in that picture, Nina cut her head worse than that bucking into a fence - she didn't mean to do that.

Let's all scream animal abuse and send them all off to slaughter.
    I am sure there are drivers and companies that are abusive - haven't seen it myself.
    Hope everybody - 2 legged and 4 legged - are ok.

The other interesting thing about the photo is that clearly the horse is only incidental to the accident, judging by the rubberneckers in the background.

I am sure NYCLASS and CBHDC will try to shop this to the media, but this is fairly clearly a chain reaction (where the carriage could have just as easily been a bicyclist or pedicab or pedestrian with MUCH worse results.

So my comment made it for at least 18 minutes - LOL. Still up but I am sure will get deleted at some point.

Good heavens, one of my horses had a horrific accident in my wash rack and severed her superficial digital flexor tendon and had an 80% tear of her deep digital flexor tendon. 9 months later, she was fine. Another horse fractured her coffin bone and was back to work 5 months later. I guess according to all those people, my horses should be taken away from me, even though they have pastures, a lovely barn with 12x18 stalls, vet care whenever they need it, fed twice a day, etc.

I can't imagine how frustrating the RARAs are to you michaleenflynn. I don't know if I would be able to hold out a week before going batsh!t crazy on them.

I just can't comprehend how crazy they are, I hope I don't run across any of them protesting next time I'm in NYC...

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I can't imagine how frustrating the RARAs are to you michaleenflynn. I don't know if I would be able to hold out a week before going batsh!t crazy on them.

I just can't comprehend how crazy they are, I hope I don't run across any of them protesting next time I'm in NYC...
    I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you saying this, SA.

The worst thing about when something like this happens and this particular group uses it to their advantage, is that the co-founder has eventing horses, so he knows that everything he instructs his paid minions to say and spin to whip up hysteria - like the caption in that pic, and pounding the drum about a 2 inch gash - is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you saying this, SA.

The worst thing about when something like this happens and this particular group uses it to their advantage, is that the co-founder has eventing horses, so he knows that everything he instructs his paid minions to say and spin to whip up hysteria - like the caption in that pic, and pounding the drum about a 2 inch gash - is nonsense.
    Oh, and -- they read this forum.

Every time I see them say anything it makes me soo angry. And I cant even comment on any pages cuz i got banned and pre banned :P how lame is that?

"Try not to take things personally. What people often say is a reflection of them and not you."

I just read this quote. Seems pretty appropriate here, hm?
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Wow. Are they living in real life?!?! I would be willing to bet none of them own horses or have cared for animals at all.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

This issue chafes me more and more every day. These people are insane.

I for one don't want to see a day where there are no more good homes for animals because only the perfect homes can legally own them. The ideal horse-keeping situation has been the subject of debate among horse people for decades. How much turnout, what and how to feed, how much work, etc. etc. etc., and these are all shades of grey. Issues that reasonable people can differ on. The actual abuse, we all agree, should not be tolerated and is already illegal. And not one shred of evidence of abuse has been connected with these horses.

But opinions about what is the perfect horse home should not be what dictates what is legal. There is no body of evidence that says that the way NYC carriage horses are kept is inherently abusive, only opinions that seem to mostly come from people whose public comments clearly identify them as lacking even the most basic horse knowledge.

If you've ever tried to adopt a dog from a rescue you know the groups have all sorts of different standards for homes that they will adopt to. You can be turned away for having hardwood floors, for having invisible fence, for not taking your pet with you on vacation, even for having horses! The rescues own the dogs and it's their purview to choose to only adopt to the perfect home, and not just the good homes.

But would you want that to be the law? That the homes that aren't perfect can no longer have dogs? They must be seized and given to these mythical, abundant, perfect homes that all these dogs in rescues are waiting for now? I'm sure there are people who would support that. How many posts have you seen on Facebook about the poor dogs that live outdoors?

Maybe we need to start peddling laws that seize all the dogs from less than perfect homes so people will understand the absurdity. We are really only a few more bad laws away from bridging this gap between what rescues impose on the dogs already in their control and what activists begin to impose on all the other dogs.

Now substitute "horse" for "dog". This proposed carriage horse ban is the same mentality applied to a different species.

Maybe NYC carriage horses don't all have perfect homes. If there was abundant turnout available, that would be great and I'm sure the drivers would make use of it. Just like horses in other urban areas that don't have turnout. If we could protect our horses from ever getting hurt or dying, we all would, especially when they're out trying to kill themselves in that blessed turnout. I thank my lucky stars every morning when I find my horses are still in one piece, knock on wood. Turnout is probably the MOST dangerous place any horse ever goes. Can someone point out to the crazies that this is why most six or seven figure value horses never get turned out?

But to pass a law that allows the city to seize these horses from good homes because some nutjobs don't think they're perfect homes is a terrible legal precedent, whether they have their sights set on any other types of animal ownership or not. That's why animal lovers from all over, with no ties to the NYC carriage horses, should loudly oppose what these assholes are trying to do.

Reasonable people can differ on whether the NYC carriage horses are kept in an ideal situation. But no reasonable person could conclude that they are being abused. And "good" but not "perfect" should not be therefore illegal.

Just had to get that off my chest.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

My comment is still up, amazingly enough. I just posted another one since someone called me out and said these horses shouldn't even have a paper cut.

The thing that bothers me and should worry everyone is where will these people draw the line. If they are successful in banning carriage horses is NYC, who will be next? Will they decided all horse shows are cruel and try to ban showing?

The post on that page that all horses should be running free with grass under their feet has to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard! Really????? Ask my horses if they would like to run free, forage for their own food, try to find water, escape from predators, not have vet care, etc. Good grief people are stupid!

Ughhhh, I read through some of the comments and was just like "... wtf people." I can't even format a coherent response right now. First of all, how do they know it was a "major accident involving a carriage" if details are still developing, especially since it appears that neither horse nor carriage nor driver were majorly injured, or even injured at all in the case of the driver and carriage? Logic, they have it not. Also, the horse appears totally over it, and the cut appears to be small and not more than a surface abrasion. My old horse did a heck of a lot worse to his shoulder when he tripped in the paddock two years ago running away from a bee sting: huge scrape the size of my hand and 3 legged lame for a couple of days. Guess I'm a bad horse person and an abuser because natural elements caused an injury in a nice big paddock where he was running freeeeeee. *shakes head*
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

I hate that an accident that had **nothing** to do with the horse and carriage will now be twisted by these nut jobs in their effort to ban all horse/human partnerships. Because make no mistake, if they succeed in eliminating the carriage horses, they will be coming after hunters, jumpers and or dressage horses next.

The worst part about it is - they are likely upset that the horse is FINE! They revel in capturing a bad injury or death, regardless of the cause, to bolster their propaganda.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

What everyone has to remember is that we are now living in an advertising-fueled world where sensationalism sells. If it bleeds, it leads, and controversy keeps the 8-second attention span focused.

Making something out of nothing has become the national sport. You have only to see what is made of any tiny slip of the tongue by one of our elected officials.

Blame the 24/7 "news" cycle and the fact that urban dwellers now live 97% of their lives looking at screens.