The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All y'alls amazing pictures are making me so excited!

Two sticks... If I am ever in your area, you can bet you'll be getting a call from me. Your pictures are wonderful! I loved them all!

I did decide against a blingy browband, as I tried some of BO's (whose tack obsession far outdoes my own) on her tonight and none of them seemed to do her mondo head justice. She does have pearls for show season though.

I did find a nice dress in our pink and purple 'colors', I'll post a picture of it tomorrow at some point. Other than that I'm thinking of just nice jeans, black flat boots (a bit like my field boots) and a polo or a nice v-neck in some sort of flattering color...

How would I go about suggesting to the photo-genius to get the best angles? They have very limited equine photo experience, but are by far the best in our area. I have NO eye for lighting, poses, or anything of that sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

If they're shooting digital, tell them to shoot til they run out of memory. Same shot from different angles whenever possible.

And if they're open to it, before hand send linkies to various photograph(s/y/ers) you like. Do this all casual like. "I'm so excited for the shoot! I went looking to get some ideas for myself of what I'd like us to try for and these are just WOW, do you think we could swing something like that?" not "Hey since you don't photograph horses a lot here's some ideas on how not to F up."
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Here are some pics we took of my boy when he had sold (taken by NON camera person mom. I set camera up then handed it over and told her to take as many pics as she could so hopefully some would turn out!haha) But this is an example of nice-ish backgrounds. I was also not dressed up (obviously!!)
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399338435.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399338393.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399338387.jpg

Hope that helped a bit.
    Beautiful pictures! Your horses are gorgeous!

Thanks so much!!

OP> As for poses, I would go to google and search for photos/poses you like and show those to the photographer to give them an idea of what you want. They should know about lighting, however you could ask to see some of the pics (on the camera's screen) a couple times to make sure she isn't accidentally putting shadows in weird places. The more pics you take, the better!

If you can have a horse spooking handler to help get the pretty "ears up" look the better. Give her some things to flap and toss around (enough to get ears up but not enough to get a runaway!!). Ears up (in the majority of circumstances) create a MUCH better look than ears back or flopped.

One horsey tip... Bend down a bit for a full shot so the legs don't look shorter than they are. If the photog is standing up straight, it can be unflattering for the legs.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    All y'alls amazing pictures are making me so excited!

Two sticks... If I am ever in your area, you can bet you'll be getting a call from me. Your pictures are wonderful! I loved them all!

I did find a nice dress in our pink and purple 'colors', I'll post a picture of it tomorrow at some point. Other than that I'm thinking of just nice jeans, black flat boots (a bit like my field boots) and a polo or a nice v-neck in some sort of flattering color...

How would I go about suggesting to the photo-genius to get the best angles? They have very limited equine photo experience, but are by far the best in our area. I have NO eye for lighting, poses, or anything of that sort.
    Thank you! I think the outfit choice sounds good, bring both and you can always change and do some with each. If the photographer has shot with horses at all before and you like what you see, I wouldn't say anything. If not, I would just shoot them a casual email and maybe show them a few things you like, just saying "Hey, I really liked this type of idea and was hoping we could maybe try something like this." As a photographer, you always want your clients to be happy with their photos, so they should be happy to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    . They should know about lighting, however you could ask to see some of the pics (on the camera's screen) a couple times to make sure she isn't accidentally putting shadows in weird places.
    Ahh! Personally I really hate it when clients do this. I shoot probably 300-400 images in an hours shoot. A client sees about 50ish, after editing. Usually at the end of the shoot, or if something looks great in the back of the camera and we are at a good place to stop for a minute and look, I will show the client some of the images. I really don't like it when people ask to see what I'm doing in the middle of the shoot though.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

I just wanted to ressurect this thread to say that we finally had the weather/time/whatever else the stars needed to align to get pictures done! I have about a million favorites, but these take the cake . Willow was hardly cooperating, so it was quick, but I think she did an awesome job!

Now... which ones to frame! I *think* I properly linked the album.

Yay!

And this one perfectly captures why the session was so quick.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

I love the head shot in #1, but I think #4 is the best one of the two of you together. They're all great pictures, though.

Definitely get #4!!!!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

They look great! I'll be the voice of dissent so far and say that my favorite is #3.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

4, 5 and 6

I vote for 4 too!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I love 3 and 4!!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. and 6 and 7 are cute too.

Oh, wait. I guess I'm not much help.

Lovely pics, you two are both so pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    Your work is gorgeous! I love #2 and #6 - wish you weren't on the other end of the state!

Your hubby sounds wonderful! I'm glad the pictures turned out wonderfully! :-)

Thanks everybody! I'm so thrilled with how they came out , even the ones where she's dragging my happy butt across the field!

I think we're going to get #1 and #4 matted and framed up all pretty-like. I'm going to do the rest in various sizes and create some sort of photo collage around her brass nameplate on the empty wall on our landing. Even DH agreed that we couldn't pick just 2!

Nice set of shots! I'd just get em all :=) #4 for cuteness, #3 for the hair color/leaf color match and the right-side profile shot, #7 for the wildness, and the others simply because they exist

Like 6 a lot too...

I thought 7 was the psycho shot. That one :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com