The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leasing questions

I've been exercise riding a horse since January. He had a suspensory tear last summer and has been on a slow program of rehabbing. He can do light work, no jumping. He's 17 or 18 (can't remember) but isn't ready to retire and very much has a good bit of "life" in him. I'd be hesitant to retire him now (he's sound now) because he has a good bit of spunk left, so ideally he'd be lightly ridden for pleasure for a few more years before being retired.

The owners are considering giving him to me at the end of the summer provided he is still not "back" enough to jump (which no one's holding their breath over; it's a show barn and needs jumpers, not this guy. I have problems with their immediacy to dismiss him, but that's another thread. )

I'm a college student and I know between school and a part-time job I would not have time to be with him like he needs, but I'm hesitant to let the owners rehome him somewhere else. I don't trust the owners in rehoming horses because of some history with that (former horses of theirs have died from negligence with new homes, and I'm DEFINITELY not supportive of letting this guy go to whomever.)

After exhausting possible options, I considered the possibility of taking this guy and leasing him out at the barn where I work currently. I would be with him a few days a week and able to check up on him. I would have help with payment. I know he deserves more attention than I can give him, so someone riding/taking care of him regularly would assure me he's in good hands. I know a few people who could "take him on."

1) Is this a bad setup? That is, obtaining a horse with full knowledge he would be leased out. I don't like entering this with the mentality that I'm "saving" him from a sure and certain future of neglect (because I don't know anything about his future at this point, considering he's not mine right now.)

2) Because of his former injury, I wouldn't want him worked more than 3-4x a week, which is considered a half lease most of the time. But for him that would be the maximum riding he would receive. In that case, is that considered "full lease?" I only ask because of budgeting/cost concerns.

So much of this is up in the air right now but I want to be prepared for whatever happens at the end of this summer. I have a few months to sort out details about his future, so these are preliminary concerns.

I've scoured a lot of the leasing threads on here but can only find bits and pieces related to my situation. Can anyone think of anymore threads I could study? Has anyone had a situation similar to mine?

Am I crazy?

I can't tell you whether you're crazy :-) but I can help with the lease questions...

3 days a week is a half lease. This is not a bad setup IF you can find a half-lessor and IF you are OK with the risk if you cannot. Typically the half lessor will cover half of all regular/monthly expenses (shoeing, board, etc but not emergency vet or the like).

You are not likely to find someone to cover all expenses if they can only ride 3-4 days/week. It could happen, but I would not expect it.

I actually have a 1/3 lessor (2 days) on my mare. This is someone I have known and trust.

Be careful with liability. I have a liability policy. I also haven't put minors on my horse.

You're definitely taking on a risk here. But if he's worth it and you can swing it, good for you!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post

You're definitely taking on a risk here. But if he's worth it and you can swing it, good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedMare View Post
    I don't trust the owners in rehoming horses because of some history with that (former horses of theirs have died from negligence with new homes, and I'm DEFINITELY not supportive of letting this guy go to whomever.)
    They have rehomed several horses who then have died of neglect? That sounds strange.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    They have rehomed several horses who then have died of neglect? That sounds strange.
    It IS strange, too strange... I'm trying to hightail it out of there, and I'm taking the horse with me if I can help it!

Not every horse they rehomed has passed away, but their attitude of obviuosly not caring is what bothers me.

Things can change really quickly...what if he goes lame again, and you are stuck with the board bill and he can't even be ridden (plus, the vet bills he might incur)?

Responsible Old Me says to pass, but Young Me probably would have taken him if I really liked him.

So I guess my advice is to think really, really hard about what will happen when he goes lame/needs to be rehomed/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oaks Farm View Post
    Things can change really quickly...what if he goes lame again, and you are stuck with the board bill and he can't even be ridden (plus, the vet bills he might incur)?

Responsible Old Me says to pass, but Young Me probably would have taken him if I really liked him.

So I guess my advice is to think really, really hard about what will happen when he goes lame/needs to be rehomed/etc.
    Oh good call on that one. Why didn't I think of that? I think I'm sleep deprived.

And responsible me is saying "no! you have other things you need to worry about now, like food." But I do love him. He's just a cool horse. He's an 18hh Hanoverian, and a total dork. It's just hard to pass up on him, you know? Sigh. Welcome to the real horse world I suppose.

I think what you are trying to do is commendable, but honestly, if money is tight enough that you are worried about paying for food, then taking this horse is not a good idea.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedMare View Post
    Oh good call on that one. Why didn't I think of that? I think I'm sleep deprived.

And responsible me is saying "no! you have other things you need to worry about now, like food." But I do love him. He's just a cool horse. He's an 18hh Hanoverian, and a total dork. It's just hard to pass up on him, you know? Sigh. Welcome to the real horse world I suppose.
    It's tough when you find a special one. BTDT and it was never easy (and, the two special ones I did take DID end up being lame/crippled pasture ornaments, and the first time that happened I was in no place to have a horse to begin with, so it was really tough and draining financially and emotionally - the second pasture ornament ended up living out his days with me, as I was in a much better spot that time).

There will be many horses like this in your future and one day you'll have the resources to be able to help out without it breaking the bank.

And yes, food (your own!) is a priority!

The food part was mostly a joke; I can afford food, but of course I'm attempting to save money for both during-college expenses and jumpstart my after-college expenses. So obviously a large beast is going to put a large dent in there somewhere.

Oh lovely CoTH people, speaking wisdom into me...