The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just got my new Schneiders Fly Sheet and am sooo Disappointed

I just got the new mosquito mesh sheet with the adjusta neck. His 78 weatherbeeta has plenty of room. The Schneiders 78 is a little snug but unfortunately you don't really know this until you get it on them and let them move around in it for a while, which makes it unreturnable. Not a super big deal as I have a horse that is a weatherbeeta 76 so she can use it.

The greater problem is that it is so stiff the flys got underneath it and there were 3 large greenhead flys between his back and the sheet which freaked him out. This never happened with the weatherbeeta. I am stuck with this Schneiders sheet but still need to find something that works.

The weathebeetas are so hot in the summer I thought the Schneiders sheet would be much cooler. I hate in when you eat $75 for something you hate, even if you can use it on another horse.

I am open to suggestions. He still has a weatherbeeta but I wanted to be able to rotate sheets so they don't rub.

Is your horse really hard on clothes? I have personally had good success with the Amigo fly sheets. Most of my guys are relatively easy on clothes, but they are turned out a lot with other horses. One is relatively hard on his clothes, but even his Amigo held up well. Some of my Amigos are actually on their second or third season now. I have had two different ones. They are soft (I hate the stiff ones), so you shouldn't have the same problems.

I have heard that some horses who are hard on clothes will rip the Amigos. Luckily, I haven't really had that problem, and I have been using them for 4 or 5 years now. That said, if you have a confirmed blanket destroyer in your paddock, you might want to look at the Rambos instead.

I have both of these:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-...x?cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-...x?cm_vc=Search

Second the choice of Amigo sheets for horses that are not hard on their clothes. If your horse wears Rambo, though, do go up a size in Amigo.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

My girls aren't hard on things but my boy can tear stuff up looking at it. He has already ripped a hole in his weathebeeta which is sewed up with dental floss. Might have to go with Rambo but they look kind of hot. I was looking for something really light. Thanks for the suggestions.

The soft white knit Schneiders fly sheets have fit best, lasted well for me and sweated horses the least. Plus they are easy to mend on a regular sewing machine. Yes, the mosquito sheets run at least one size small and are stiff , but I liked mine for my old mare. We rarely have greenheads.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I just got this http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...and-fly-sheet/ from Schneiders and am very happy with it. Very soft micro-mesh, and if anything it runs slightly large. $45 and it has a bellyband, tail flap, and the extra velcro with fleece at the front closure in addition to the buckles. The mare who is wearing it is not particularly hard on her "clothes". The sheet feels downright luxurious

My experience is that Schneider's runs true to size and Weatherbeeta can run really large. My guess is that the Schneider's 78" is a true 78" and the WB is more like an 80" or 81".

In any case, you should call Schneider's before posting a gripe on an internet BB. It is true that it may now be unreturnable, but at least give them the chance.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Default For the tough on their clothes type...

My thoroughbred and his pasture buddy like to play... a lot. I have had a Shire's fly sheet for him and other than a few stains, it is like new and is over five years old! I've never had a problem with shoulder rubs and it stays in place with just the belly band. He doesn't wear it if it is super hot out (90+ with high humidity) but otherwise I have never had a problem with him sweating or being uncomfortable in it. I bought mine from www.equusnow.com

I have never had luck with Schneiders for him. We went through several different fly sheets and none lasted even a month.

Becky & the boys
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    My experience is that Schneider's runs true to size and Weatherbeeta can run really large. My guess is that the Schneider's 78" is a true 78" and the WB is more like an 80" or 81".
    Agree

Do geldings every pee on the belly band? I want to get one for my guy but not if he has to wear it wet with pee.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Do geldings every pee on the belly band? I want to get one for my guy but not if he has to wear it wet with pee.
    Not if you adjust it correctly. The bellyband should be snug.

First and formost I want to point out that this post was not a knock or Schneiders. I use them frequently and have always been happy with their overall quality. Sometimes things simply don't work on a given horse.

An update- I tried the schneiders sheet on my mare, who is a 75 weatherbeeta and it fit well but she is still gaining weight as she is new and was underweight when we got her. It is a little big on my 72 weatherbeeta mare but the adjusta fit shoulders make it work.

I have decided to get an 82 for my big boy and an 80 for my newest girl. They have to have something cooler than the weatherbeeta when it turns really hot. I think once the weatherbeetas are no longer servicable I will try the amigo as everyone suggested.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I bought this orion fly sheet for my guy, and I'm pretty happy with it. (You have to scroll down the page)

http://www.pleasantridge.ca/fly%20control.htm

I don't usually buy Canadian but I'm very happy with the price & the product. They also had a cheaper fly sheet on sale for $19.95, which I bought for my mare, and really it does the job for the price, but it has no belly band or neck cover.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I personally prefer the Duramesh Schneiders over the mosquito mesh and soft ones. Its very similar to a Kensington but more soft and flexible and def does not let flies in under it.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!