The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If I were a horse I'd say I was tying up!

I started Soldierfit a few weeks ago and noticed an interesting thing. The 5 minute warm up run is very difficult for me. As soon as I start my muscles hurt. No, not out of fatigue, but just as soon as I begin my muscles burn Here's the thing; after they beat us for an hour then I feel like I can do the run! I swear my body feels more like running after an hour of bear crawls, soldier crawls, kettle bells, push ups, etc.

I'm posting because I've noticed this happening at other times. I just walked up the hill to my classroom and I swear my hamstrings were on fire for the first few feet!

If I were a horse I'd say I was tying up and should switch from carbs to fat for calories! Or is it that it takes me an hour to warm up?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Ugh...the same thing happens to me. Particularly in my calves. Sometimes my thighs but rarely. I have greatly reduced the carbs and added in more proteins. I do notice on days where I have a lot of carbs my body generally feels like crap on my runs for a day or so. Try lots of fresh veggies and good proteins.

Stay hydrated too!

I am glad you started this thread though because I feel like I take forever to warm up some days.

should switch from carbs to fat for calories
    well, that might actually solve the problem- more and more studies are finding that the human body functions better when it burns fat instead of carbs. Currently endurance athletes are being told to eat high-fat/low carb diets because it dramatically improves their performance.

The "burning" is probably lactic acid buildup from burning carbs during your warmup. You are probably warming up too intensely for your level of fitness- you might need to warmup by walking first then easing slowly into the suggested warmup.

Here's the thing, I'm getting lactic acid build up (because I agree with you it's lactic acid) by walking from the car in the parking lot -my OCD student says it's 600 steps. I'm thinking that from now on I'll do the Soldier Fit session and then try to run after to see if it is indeed an issue of needing a really loooooooong warm up.

Paula

You may need to change your cool down routine and go take an icy shower immediately following getting your heart rate down.
    Also, your electrolytes could be wonky; don't be afraid of salt.
    Fat is fuel, carbs are like nitrous... Good if you're a sprinter, sucky if you actually want to go somewhere.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

You could also look into a supplement with DMG

DMG? what is that?

I'm going to drastically reduce my carbs. I don't use alot of salt so I will look into that too.

Sigh; apparently I'm a draft horse.

Paula

Be careful if this continues. My brother in law developed a bad case of rhabdo-something (essentially what tying up is) and he was lucky to escape severe kidney damage. If you see any change in urine color or symptoms don't abate go to your doctor and get checked out. It is serious.

Thanks, FRM, I'll keep that in mind.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    DMG? what is that?

I'm going to drastically reduce my carbs. I don't use alot of salt so I will look into that too.

Sigh; apparently I'm a draft horse.

Paula
    It *may* increase oxygen utilization & reduce lactic acid production.

I've used it with horses, but not taken it for myself personally.

I'm the same way, even though I work out 6x/week. I haven't been able to solve this via diet.

My answer is stretching. I know "they" say not to stretch cold, but I have to, otherwise I'm just totally inelastic. Give this a try, just be very (very!) careful not to over-stretch. Stretch again when you're done, and feel free to stretch again at the end of the day. I also recommend Absorbine gel liniment on sore leg muscles - it's super after a nice hot shower.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I'm the same way, even though I work out 6x/week. I haven't been able to solve this via diet.

My answer is stretching. I know "they" say not to stretch cold, but I have to, otherwise I'm just totally inelastic. Give this a try, just be very (very!) careful not to over-stretch. Stretch again when you're done, and feel free to stretch again at the end of the day. I also recommend Absorbine gel liniment on sore leg muscles - it's super after a nice hot shower.
    Oh yes. I forgot to mention this.

I find that I stretch more than the average person but it certainly helps.

did this discomfort start only after you suddenly started an intense fitness program? because it's possible what you are feeling is damaged tissues from the previous workout. One of the symptoms of "damaged tissue" is it feels fine when not moving, but it strongly objects to starting to move after being allowed to rest- stiffness, burning pain- but if you keep moving through the pain the soreness works its way out. How long it takes to work out is an indication of how severe the damage is. This syndrome often afflicts the sedentary person who suddenly decides to get fit, and thus plunges right into a very intense type of workout.
    If this is the case, the best thing to do is to quit your current program, take a week to ten days to rest, and then re-start at a lower level of intensity. If you keep pushing to workout past the pain, your body will take forever to heal from this injury.
    I know people want "instant results", but when it comes to getting fit, you have to take it slow or you'll get hurt. Just like horses, if you don't have a robust base of lots of long slow work to strengthen the bones, tendons, ligaments to work with, well, there aren't any shortcuts. What is the saying- three months to aerobic fitness, six months to muscle fitness, and two years to skeletal fitness? if you push to achieve high levels of aerobic and muscle fitness while your structure is still weak, you're going to blow out something important and end up sidelined.

alternatively, consider having yourself vetted for electrolyte imbalances or blocked blood vessels in your legs.

This syndrome often afflicts the sedentary person who suddenly decides to get fit, and thus plunges right into a very intense type of workout.

and also;

One of the symptoms of "damaged tissue" is it feels fine when not moving, but it strongly objects to starting to move after being allowed to rest- stiffness, burning pain- but if you keep moving through the pain the soreness works its way out.

Huh! Well that's an interesting observation! I think that might describe me quite well. I was sedentary for a while there before started Soldierfit. Hmmm. Well it works out that I couldn't go this week anyway so I'll have had a week off as it is when I start again next Tuesday.

Couple that with just probably needing a long warm up (remember I feel good to go after the class) and I think you might have nailed it.

I think I'm going to try to get there early enough to stretch too.

Thanks, guys.

Paula

I agree with just about everything Wendy say, except for this " take a week to ten days to rest". NO. You DO NOT want to be sedentary for that long, or you sabotage what you already have and built. One or two days of total rest is fine and often recommended. One week or longer, unless you get some other medical issue, is not all right at all if you want to see good result.

What you want is a lower level of workout for a day or two following strenuous workout to give your muscle time to adjust and rejuvenate and bones to strengthen. This especially important on days of strength training. Core training is the only exception to this rule: you can trian core very single day because it can take a lot of abuse. Cardio? You can do cardio every day without any adverse effect.

By the way, I'm always more energetic in my Zumba class (cardio), which follows directly after the strenuous Kettlebell class (strength/cardio). Why? I got all the pains and burn worked out in my Kettlebell classes, and by the time I get to the Zumba, I'm well warmed up and loose. The cardio aspect of it is then easy peachy.

That explains why it feels like I can run after the workout. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Paula