The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OK, here goes . . . anyone have a Heritage tack custom/bespoke saddle?

One of my boys is a total "Princess and the Pea" about saddles. My trainer's fits him beautifully, and all the ones I have, which APPEAR to fit him just as nicely, he fusses about just enough to let me know he likes THAT ONE better. It's not bad, but the difference between her saddle and my collection is just ridiculously obvious. Never had a horse that was THIS finicky!

So I'm looking for one JUST like hers, but a) they're freaking expensive new, b) they're hard to find used in his tree size, and c) hers was modified so it's not a sure thing that even an exact replica will be . . . exact.

So a custom saddle has actually crossed my mind. *gulp* This brand from the UK, Heritage Saddlery, will make just about anything you want for about $1600--a lot less than many! I myself am not terribly picky about saddles, but apparently this HORSE is, so whatever makes him happy will no doubt be fine for me.

Anyone have experience with this type of saddle? I actually have one of their bridles--bought it for Bonnie when she turned two and she is now 12 and the bridle is still fantastic and one of my favorites, so that helps.

TIA
    Click here before you buy.

Before going that route, if yours are "close", have you tried a really good memory foam pad like an Ecogold Triple Protection pad?? Made all the difference for my princess pony who has been hellish to fit...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I bit the bullet a few years ago and had them make one for my impossible to fit mare, she is big shouldered widish and short backed and my legs are really long.... i had spent $1000s trying used saddles and finally ordered one from them. I honestly thought it would be horrible leather but figured if it fit her what the heck.... it is AMAZING!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE, leather is super nice, saddle fit her great, and my legs have never been happier. it is one of the jump saddles.

like an idiot last year spent $6000 to have a new custom Lauriche made from my gelding (I have an older used one that I adore but isn't wide enough for him) anyway that was a total disaster and it is NOT even close to what i wanted or needed and now I just pray it sells..... when I get back to riding next year I WILL order a dressage Heritage.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightride View Post
    a new custom Lauriche made from my gelding
    wow much better memorial than a bracelet made from tail hair!

deltawave is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I hate corrective pads with a passion. I am far from a saddle fitting nut or anything like that, but I have never found a "correction" pad that does anything but make a too-wide saddle slightly less wide, while annoying the heck out of me in the process.

FOR my gelding.... (good thing he cant read!)
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Just curious....exactly HOW do they do a custom fit from over there? Do you send them a whole slew of measurements, etc? I am wondering because i am very suspicious of anybody that fits the saddle while the horse is standing still - a lot of horses will lift their backs when they work and then the fit changes. Inquiring minds want to know...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

DW--can you PM me with your email? Can't seem to post or reply on my computer, and don't have the patience to type my long reply on iPhone!

Short end though is I got one about 5 years ago and love it.

deltawave is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

No clue how anyone fits a saddle to a moving horse. I've never needed to have a saddle "fit" to a horse before. My horses just go in whatever saddle I put on them, I make sure the fit is reasonable and off they go cheerfully to do their jobs. But not this horse!

Grasshopper, it's delta_wave"at"yahoo"dot"com

Oh thank you for posting! I'm have been having a really difficult time fitting my haffie with massively large shoulders. Everything seems to pinch!

I think this saddle looks lovely, and I've emailed to see if they can fit it to a table backed short coupled horse.
    http://www.heritagesaddlery.co.uk/co...uldered-horses

Thank you!

Haven't seen there saddles, but I contacted them a few years ago, and the guy (Steve, maybe?) was really nice and replied very promptly. I ended up buying Ansur saddles, because I have three very differently shaped horses to fit.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."