The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Does anyone on this board have an Aberjack baby by any chance? Since breeding season is over I have been fortunate enough to ride him, and he is truly the most incredible horse I've ever sat on. I was talking with Denny and he suggested asking if anyone who posts here has an Aberjack baby and would be willing to post some pictures. Let me know if you know of any of his babies out there. Thanks a lot!

Carrie

Does anyone on this board have an Aberjack baby by any chance? Since breeding season is over I have been fortunate enough to ride him, and he is truly the most incredible horse I've ever sat on. I was talking with Denny and he suggested asking if anyone who posts here has an Aberjack baby and would be willing to post some pictures. Let me know if you know of any of his babies out there. Thanks a lot!

Carrie

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

No... but if I get serious about breeding Char, he is one at the top of my list. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Of course I know SO little about breeding that I'd probably end up just sending a tape and still photos to Denny and letting him help me decide who would make a good cross (but I'd hope it was Aberjack or Reputed Testimony!).

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

If you ever get serious, you should consider Catherston Dazzler. He is a proven performer who went advanced in eventing & GP in dressage PLUS he is a proven sire of at least one Olympic horse (Hyde Park Corner).

Aberjack is beautiful but he can't touch Catherston Dazzler's record.

www.rougelandfarm.com Home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, ribbon-winner on the line at Dressage at Devon.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Thanks, but as I said... I don't know a whole lot about breeding and what needs to be looked for in a stallion to compliment my mare.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I went to see Denny's stallions this Spring when I was considering rebreeding my Conn/TB mare. By far, Aberjack was the most impressive...at least while he was moving. What an incredible mover. WB's have nothing on him and he can really jump too I guess. He was pretty naughty and was playfully biting at one of my friends but it was not mean natured. The funny thing is until he moved, I thought he was pretty plain and ordinary looking. He's my top pick but his stud fee is quite a bit more than the others.

Wintry Oak was a pretty nice mover too although more thoroughbredlike than Aberjack. He as really quiet too which I liked. He's not too big but has a pedigree full of top eventers and jumpers. Very classic and nice horse. You can't beat that he did a 100 mile endurance ride too. Very tough.

Loyal Pal was so elegant and lovely with a regal bearing about him. We couldn't watch him move since he has a fused fetlock area from a racing injury. Reputed Testamony was also a lovely creature. He doesn't move as well due to arthritis but you can see how he must have been once before. I didn't get to see Prussian Blue unfortunately.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

I've been to see Denny's stallions and agree with all observations here. Aberjack is not put together very well. Looked like about 3 different horses, but they say he's very good tempered (although when I saw him he hadn't started breeding yet, so that may have changed!) and a great jumper. I saw him move and was impressed, but I've been told he takes a lot of leg and I prefer a more forward type horse. I didn't think much of Prussian Blue. I really liked Wintry Oak and Mokhieba best. Decided against Mokhieba because there are a lot of opinions about the temperament he throws, and Wintry Oak just wasn't a good cross for this particular mare.
    I know someone that has an Aberjack weanling, and if I can get ahold of some pictures I'll post them. It's a filly out of a quarter horse mare and I have no idea what she looks like, except that the mare was also bay and the baby is chestnut. That was a surprize!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

"Aberjack is not put together very well. Looked like about 3 different horses, but they say he's very good tempered (although when I saw him he hadn't started breeding yet, so that may have changed!) and a great jumper. I saw him move and was impressed, but I've been told he takes a lot of leg and I prefer a more forward type horse. I didn't think much of Prussian Blue. I really liked Wintry Oak and Mokhieba best."

It's interesting to hear everyone's different points of view on Jacko and Blue and all. I didn't know this before, but Mark Todd looked at hundreds of horses before deciding on Aberjack - he said that he couldn't believe he found all he wanted in one horse that was so well put together. Personally jacko is my favorite! Riding him and Blue really helped my dressage work because I was able to feel exceptionally talented horses underneath me. I would love to see the pics of the baby if you have it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] thanks!!

Carrie

[This message was edited by Greenbean on Oct. 08, 2002 at 04:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by Greenbean on Oct. 08, 2002 at 04:28 PM.]

I don't have a mare, so this is totally irrelevant, but having spent seven months with Denny as a working student, I would LOVE to own a replica of Rep. Of the stallions there, he was my favorite both in terms of looks and temperament--and from the one foal I saw live, plus pictures of several others, I know he really stamps his get with lots of chrome and those big beautiful eyes (not that eyes or chrome make an event horse, but still...)
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Count me in as another non-fan of Aberjack. Agree that he looks like he's made from spare parts, don't like the neck/shoulder that the conformation picture seems to obscure, don't like the long pasterns. He does, however, come from a very successful line of event horses. I just don't get what Mark Todd thinks is so great about him; I much prefer Mark Todd's other stallion, Mayhill, who stands in the UK.

Out of Denny's stallions, I like Wintry Oak but he is live cover only, which means his semen does not freeze, chill or ship well. He's also quite small, which I like very much, but this is not everyone's taste, and a 16+hh horse is an easier sale than something under 16 hh.

Evalee mentioned Catherston Dazzler, so I'm taking the opportunity to blow my own horn as the owner/breeder of Dazzler's 1st US-born foal. Dazzler is a spectacular stallion -- as a young horse, he won all the potential/future/young horse competitions in England in dressage, showjumping and eventing. He won the very competitive showjumping competition as a 5 year-old and again as a 6 year-old. His riders, Malcolm Pyrah and John Whitaker (!), thought he had international SJ talent and tons of scope and elasticity. He racked up a number of points in eventing (after winning the young eventer title) and had a long career as an international dressage horse, competing in GP through age 17.

Dazzler is an own brother (same dam) as the stallion Summersong, who competed with Marie-Christine Duroy in the 1996 Olympics. He's a half brother (same sire) to Dutch Gold, Jennie Loriston-Clarke's Olympic dressage horse and a successful eventing sire in his own right. 8 or 9 of Dazzler's foals have made it to the **** level in eventing.

And with this track record, Dazzler's stud fee is less than half that of Loyal Pal's or Aberjack's, and it's even less than Reputed Testamony's.

I didn't know there was a half brother out there. Summersong is the most incredible event horse I have EVER seen! Please please please post some pics of your foal.

I have a girlfriend who has a weanling filly out of Aberjack by a mare that has produced a four star horse. I think the jury is still out.

Does Dazzler have a website?

I thought Ali & I would have a "Darkie" baby on the way by now, the stud fee & semen shipping have been paid since May . . . BUT the mare had colic surgery. OUCH. Maybe next spring.

I am really high on Dazzler ("Darkie") because he is proven, as you pointed out so well. There are tons of lovely stallions, some of them with performance records & some not . . . but there aren't very many stallions with outstanding performance records AND a proven record as a sire!

As for matching mare to stallion . . . it's one theory, as is . . . breed "the best to the best". I personally don't think there is much to trying to find a stallion that will offset/compensate/overcome your mare's faults. I like "the best to the best". (I interpret that to mean, "the best mare we can afford" or "the best that we have", to the "stallion we believe is best", as, obviously, there is only one "best" mare & one "best" stallion in the world & I don't think we could all agree on who they are.)

www.rougelandfarm.com Home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, ribbon-winner on the line at Dressage at Devon.

Gry2Yng, here's my Dazzler filly at 4 months (she's now 7 months old but I don't have the pics here). Her mom is my OTTB mare.

BTW, Summersong is by the English Trakehner stallion Fleetwater Opposition, who evented at advanced and did GP dressage. Fleetwater Opposition is still doing stud duties in his mid-20s and has produced many excellent horses is all disciplines. Unfortunately, Summersong's semen does not freeze or cool, although he does have babies on the ground in France.

(I did a LOT of research before I bred my mare!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dekorumja0727.JPG 
Views:	936 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	8750  

Could that baby BE any cuter. Her neck comes out of her shoulder like a GP dressage superstar!

I suppose different people find different qualities in horses attractive or unattractive...anyway, if there are any jacko baby pics out there please post! thanks so much!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NeverTime:
    I don't have a mare, so this is totally irrelevant, but having spent seven months with Denny as a working student, I would LOVE to own a replica of Rep. Of the stallions there, he was my favorite both in terms of looks and temperament--and from the one foal I saw live, plus pictures of several others, I know he really stamps his get with lots of chrome and those big beautiful eyes (not that eyes or chrome make an event horse, but still...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! I too was a working student, and Rep was my favorite! I liked Wintry, too. Pal was a sweetheart, and Blue was always in trouble. I never saw Aberjack in person, but if Mark Todd thinks so much of him, I'll go along with that!

*I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best.
    In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. -Robert Frost

I think some of Denny's stallions are gorgeous, in particular Reputed Testamony. I also admire Loyal Pal's race record, but don't think he has an ideal hind end for a jumper. That said, if Rox Dene's owners chose him, who am I to say ANYTHING! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The questions I've always had about these stallions is, what are their progeny DOING? Loyal Pal has been at stud for how long (I don't know, not a rhetorical question!) and what are his offspring doing? Aberjack is advertised as an Advanced horse...what is his competition record? (ANOTHER non-rhetorical question--I really would like to know)

Of course, I bred my mare to a stallion that, after his stallion testing, was put to stud full time, so I'm not criticizing anyone's choice of these stallions AT ALL. Just raising the point that a humongous advertising program, while it raises visibility, is not the same as a string of proven babies on the ground.

I think the Catherston Dazzle filly has one gorgeous topline! Congratulations...wish she could spare my filly an inch or two of that beautiful neck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
    www.deltawave.homestead.com
    www.seeliecourt.homestead.com
    Click here before you buy.

deltawave, I agree with you on the 'Denny mystique.' The website shows a few babies for a few of the stallions, none for Aberjack, none for Reputed Testamony. However, they go on at length about all the great mares that are in LP's recent book. While this is a useful marketing tool from the ego-stroking point of view -- "Rox Dene's owners chose Loyal Pal and you can too!" -- it is not terribly relevant information from an actual breeding perspective. Ok, so he's been bred to 300+ mares -- that's a lot of babies out there and that's a lot of babies we aren't hearing about. You can surmise there must be some level of satisfaction because his stud fee stays high and his book stays full, but I'd still like to know what the little LPs are up to.

IIRC, Denny's now-deceased stallion Epic Win DID have several notable event horses among his get, and Mokhieba has had some event/SJ successes as well. But Mokhieba, who I think is gorgeous, tends to produce very hot horses. Hot, I was told, to the point where it's a temperament problem.

I advise anyone with plans to breed their own eventer to look in England. The West Kington Stallion Bank (just to mention one group) has a number of top sport horse sires available for international shipping. Stud fees are lower in general, stallion performance and progeny records are much stronger.

This leads me to mention a stallion marketing campaign that I find particularly refreshing -- the one for Brandenberg's Windstar. While I do not care for this type of horse for myself, I was very impressed with how the video and literature clearly communicated that this stallion's strength was in producing steady-eddie all-rounders for the amateur rider. This is a very good option for mare owners to have.

Denny is one of the only breeders advertising TB stallions, and one of the only breeders whose advertising shows he is clearly interested in event horses.

It is great to hear about some of these other stallions out there. Catherston Dazzler sounds great ... and I've never come across him before. We mare owners won't know about them if they're not advertised or listed somewhere...
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I dont know about Aberjack, but I have sat on a young Loyal Pal youngster and he is something else. Beautiful mover, beautiful jumper, and one of the best temperments I have ever worked with. He is also very intelligent and learns very quickly.

"Some dance to remember,
    some dance to forget..."
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.