The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I was at the 1st CDHJC banquet, rode with one of the "founding" fathers..yada-yada..BUT once I left there and started with a real trainer (I commuted to Rochester every weekend by Greyhound)..I started to learn how much I DID NOT know, and just how full of bull-crap many of the CD people were. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have stories that'll curl your toes!! Let me just say I went to the web-site & saw they have an Eq medal named for CC.. can we say oxymoron!!!!! that man & equitation have nothing to do with each other! ( should have named the dirty-joke award after him) jmho

"Fleetwood Lassie" is the origin of the name, in a roundabout way. While I was expecting we moved to a house right near DM. I couldn't ride but liked to stop by the barn. My (non horsey) husband fell in love with Lassie's gentle demeanor. Our last name is WOOD so he calls her "Fleet" rather than Lassie. He assumed that that was her first name. He even calls is new car "Fleet" after her. I only rode her once and have to say that I enjoy her more from he ground! The horse I ride is boarded there and used for some lessons. I haven't taken the plunge yet as hubby and I may have another little one first.
    Did you ride there? How long ago?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Elizabeth, the horses I rode/leased were Call Millennium, Arrogance and Satisfaction Guaranteed (20 years ago) I also showed a horse named Uptown for a season or two a LONG time ago, I dont even know who owned him, he was boarded at an acquaintance's barn and no one came to ride him.
    F O.B

hey fleetie, do you remember a horse that pvg had called slightly tarnished in the late 70's? after leaving the cd area i went to work for a trainer that had that horse before pvg. made me realize what a small world the horse show world is!!!

I remember Slightly..he ended up at SRF in Ballston spa..He had a "tarnish" at the top of his tail..hence the name...what happened after that??? I dont remember.

Betsy
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

i don't know what happened to him after pvg. i just remember him from shows and did hear about him from before he went up to the cd area.

Hi Fleetie. I used to ride Fleetwood Lassie, which is why I asked. (I rode with Peter back in about 1985-ish.) Why didn't you like riding her? (I have my own view, which I'll share, once I get yours. . . .!!)

Which is the horse you ride there?
    What a small, small world! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

are doing quite well in the jumpers...

Yes, Alf, Fleetwood Lassie is/was a little chestnut (15.3).

Alf, with whom did you ride and when?

Leanne moved to Palm Beach and took her Dad with her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] (I miss them) She is an exquisite rider, another unappriciated jewel in the area forced to move to where their talents could be more of service to them...(like Scott Hofsteder, Timmy Gougan, John Blair....) They too realized what a dead end it is here...It is difficult swimming upstream against a stagnant mentality. SK truely hasn't changed a bit, if anything the group is more devious and underhanded than ever...PA is tamed down some but still going strong, SRF had a bumpy patch but I guess they are still up and running affliated with Sand Castle Farm, (a customer)there have been so many changes in the area since the early - mid seventies..I forgot how much has changed.

Betsy

I was looking through some of the old photos in the DM viewing lounge the other night. There used to be some really nice horses in that barn. Anyone recall Grey Image, Aruba, Tinker Toy, Star O'Man, Atlantis?
    Alf and Elizabeth, Fleetwood Lassie is a cute little chestnut mare. She was quite the little packer in her day. She's a bit sour/sore (funny how those words are so alike) now and needs a "confident" ride. Back in my junior years I was always the one who got stuck riding that type. Now I'm a big ol' chicken. "Fleeters" will still show her old self on the outside course or with the ideal ride.
    It is too bad that there isn't more depth of talent here anymore. There are some nice showgrounds and so many good shows with close reach. My last trainer was so fed up with the politics and lack of horsemanship that she gave up with several nice greenies in her barn. Jumphigh can attest to the quality of this woman's stock but she just dropped out. She had the talent and horses but family conditions kept her here so now she has a 12 year old green mare in her barn!
    F O.B

I used to live and ride in the CD. It's been almost 11 years since I left. I have to agree with alot that has been said. The trainer that I was with up there was really bad but I just did not know any better. When I moved, I found out how bad it had really been.

I had heard that DM was going to be replaced with houses/townhouses. Did that happen? Did they move? Or is still on off of Rt. 20?

Slightly Tarnished was retired to a field and las t I knew he was still owned by Kristin Z. As far as the Capital Dipsticks go and this is for Jill since she seems to be the only one defending them Do you self a favor and take some lessons from one of the well known trainers and you will be enlightened as to what everyone is talking about as far as the professional (I use this word very loosely when it refers to CD)expertise in the area.
    POG MO THON other nations may swear,but the Irish really mean it.

is still on Western Ave (Rt 20) at the old Triple A barn. The old barn by the mall was demolished when the mall became The Behemoth. There is a very pricey development beind it near the golf course, but there is still decent trail riding land. I live right near there (not in the pricey development [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and it has gotten very commercial around here.
    Hey anyone remember the place that used to be called Shamrock Stable? Now that area has really gotten developed.
    F O.B

WOW, this certainly brings back memories, both good and bad. I was also at the first annual awards, was it 1975? I was working hunter champion that year, it think it was 1975, I rode with DM in the 70's and remember those "founding fathers". although I don't ride anymore, I am still in the area and run into old friends who keep me abreast of what is happening. Its sad that the CDHJC has become what it seems to have become. Unfortunately the Albany area seems to be a very small pond and a lot of people feel that they are the big fish. The old DM was torn down probably 15 years ago for a huge mall, the current DM is the old Mill Pond Stables.

DM is at the old Mill Pond, not Triple A. PA is still "running" Winter Glen at the old Triple A. Don't get me started on her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    What was your horse's name Laurie? There are still some good people and good riders. Sadly the pros who have come up through this area have left.
    F O.B

Was that Balmoral?

Betsy

I don't think Balmoral, a/k/a Charlie won end of the year awards, my horse was Fox Chapel. I remember DK was reserve and we fought it out at every show. I think Balmoral was saved for the "big" shows and didn't show as much on the local circuit.

Oh yes..I do remember Fox Chapel..Hey do you know what Tommy Moore is up to these days?? He used to pop up every now and then but I haven't seen him now in a long time...

Betsy

Betsy,
    Tom is alive and well and living in downtown Albany, he & I were at St. Clements last year on Saturday and usually make that our annual horse show reunion day. One horse show appearance a year seems to be enough for us.