The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broken ankle in a "boot"

Does anyone have any personal experience with this injury? Mine is the weight bearing bone. I keep my weight off it, but wonder if anyone sat on their horse with such a cast? I have two horses, and sat on the one that was cooling out while my rider rode the other. I also mowed with my tractor....but wondered what others have done in the same situation.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

My trainer rode and jumped in hers every day for over two months. She had broken her calcaneous and the Dr. put her in a walking cast. Obviously it will affect your balance and some horses aren't that thrilled about it, but it can be done.

Default just a reminder...

Mine is the other bone, the WEIGHT BEARING bone in the ankle....while I have a boot on, it is not a walking cast....I cannot put any weight on it for 6 weeks. But it is good to hear that someone else rode....I just want to walk to cool him out while my rider rides the other horse.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I cooled out my friends horse, actually the same horse I rode when I got the injury, with my cast on. You obviously will have to go sans stirrups, and it really messed with my balance, since you can't exactly have your leg up against the horse. Since I had had strict orders to NOT ride, my doctor knows me to well, and since it wasn't a normal type fracture, the whole inner lower condyle of my Tibia had broken off requiring multiple surgeries, I felt that walking was good enough for me.

Just saw what you posted, your injury sounds a lot like mine, was not allowed to put weight on for about 4 weeks. I wouldn't until after that time, because the boot itself weighs a ton, so when your on the horse it'll feel like its ripping your leg off if you don't wait long enough.

I broke my foot last Oct. and was non-weight bearing for 3 months. I stayed off the horse, even tho it was killing me, just because I didn't want to risk anything stupid happening and making my recovery even longer.

I did get on him with my trainers help after 2 months just to walk him out and it felt wonderful. Was very careful not to bump him with that boot!

When the boot finally came off, I ran home from that appointment and rode!!

Everything healed just fine but I feel your pain, it was a long 3 months just sitting around not riding. Hang in there!!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Libby416...omg you hit the nail on the head!!! The boot weighs a ton and feels like it is pulling down when I walk my horse.

Riskybusiness....I am being very sure not to put weight on it. When I got on my horse just to cool him out he kept stopping and bending his head all the way around to touch and smell my "boot"....it was so cute. He is a huge stuffed animal of a horse, very loving and kind and I just know he is wondering what this thing is on my foot!!! But enuf said....I take all your warnings to heart.

I broke a bone in my foot and wore a boot for six weeks. I rode the whole time without stirrups -- in controlled situations -- and got on and off with help of a very tall mounting block.

I fractured my ankle and broke my fibula up by the knee. My doctor put me in a cast that ended halfway up my calf (well below the fibula break). I hopped up on my mare the day after the surgery/cast thinking that I would be able to ride in some way, shape, or form. Two things occurred to me once I was up:

1. The cast (much smaller than a boot) kept my leg at an odd angle which made it impossible to use my left leg. This may have been okay on a sensitive horse, but was not going to fly with my dead-to-the-world mare.

2. My fibula clicked as the bones shifted every time I moved my leg (the bone didn't fuse back together until 2 1/2 weeks later) and that was really too gruesome to endure

So off the horse I came, not to sit on another for 3 more weeks. The minute they took off the cast and put me in a walking boot I would take it off to ride (sans stirrup, of course) and then put it back on when I got off. But I was on a timeline.....I was pregnant and had a limited window where I could get my mare to some shows while I was healed enough from the ankle and not too pregnant to jump. I may have given it a little more time otherwise.

I just had ankle surgery in December and I stayed off until I got the ok from my doctor, I didn't feel like the risk of something silly happening was worth a few times walking around the arena. I'm a professional and all my rides just had to wait and that break made me so much happier when I started riding again because I remembered why I love doing this and felt good about my decision not to ride so I wouldn't make my recovery any more complicated.

Don't do it. I fractured that knobby bone on the outside of my ankle in half falling down the stairs in platform shoes. Doc put me in a Cam Walker no cast. I worked/walked around all day in it, took it off to ride and took it off to drive my car with a clutch (it was my left ankle) It never healed correctly because of me doing to much too soon. Wait the 6 weeks it'll be over before you know it.