The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vogel Boot Question

Hey Guys--
    So my husband gave me a pair of Vogel tall boots as a birthday gift. They send you the measuring kit and you send it back to the company.
    Wanted to make sure vogels were still a popular choice for the hunter ring. I know there are a lot of options out there and wanted to get some feedback. I've always wanted vogels so I'm hoping that it's just personal preference.
    Thanks for any input!

If it's at all possible, I would go to a shop that sells them and have them measure you -- it's a pretty involved process and I would not have wanted to do it myself. Even with a really experienced person measuring, mine had to go back once for a slight tweak on one of the boots.

If you give a general idea of where you live, we could probably tell you a good person to measure.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I think of Vogels as classics, and perhaps more durable than some of the more newly fashionable brands. That said, if at all possible, I would get measured by a tack store/brand rep with experience measuring and NOT do it yourself. Way too easy to be off by an eighth of an inch and have something you are not happy with, and if you measure yourself, you'd have a hard time disputing the measuring because of possible technique issues.

Enjoy your boots! What a great gift.

Vogels have been the gold standard forever. However, as others have mentioned, any custom boot fits only as good as the skill of the person measuring. Don't mess around...find an expert. They can also guide you with all the bells and whistles available.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I love love love my custom Vogels. They fit me like a glove, look great and feel so much different when riding than any other boots I've had. I went to the actual Vogel place in NY to get measured though, whereas others I know have gotten measured at other tack stores and not been as happy with their boots. If you live even remotely close I'd reccommend getting into the city to have them do it. For sure don't do it yourself. Custom boots are too expensive to not measure right and end up with "custom" boots that don't fit just right.

I don't see how its even possible to measure yourself.

Agree with the others. Love, love my Vogels. Had them for years and they felt great from the start.
    Go to a store that has done this a zillion times.

and side note..i just cant stand seeing zippers put in as part of the options for custom boots. Makes no sense to me!

Mine were custom, just not for me! But even used (only slightly when I got them), they are a dream. As the previous poster said, they seem a little more durable than some, which I think is great since I love them and want them to last forever.
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Yes, and they're a great boot!

I, too, recommend getting the measurements done by a shop, ideally at Vogel. I had mine measured at Vogel and they still took them in after the first fitting.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    I don't see how its even possible to measure yourself.

Agree with the others. Love, love my Vogels. Had them for years and they felt great from the start.
    Go to a store that has done this a zillion times.

and side note..i just cant stand seeing zippers put in as part of the options for custom boots. Makes no sense to me!
    Besides the high arch meaning I couldn't get boots on otherwise, zippers are the only way to not have gapping below my knee and above the thickest part of my calf muscle. I'm something like 2" smaller in that measurement than on my calf, which was one of the reasons Vogels were my choice of boot.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have had my Vogels for 27 years and they still look great. At my shop, I have several pairs of Vogels on consignment and all of those boots are in great shape.

If you are in the area go to the Vogel shop in NYC (Are they still at 19 Howard St.?) and get measured by a capable cobbler.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I LOVED my Vogles. Rode in them almost daily for a good 7 years. I was so sad when they finally died. Wishing I would have gotten an other pair instead of La Mundials
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.