The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell Me About Verhan Saddles

Hi,
    I searched through the forums but couldn't find what I wanted...

What can you all tell me about them? I am looking at a Todd Minikus. Do any of you have one? I am looking at them because I found something in my price range and wool flocked with nice leather from what I have heard.

What other high end saddle would you compare them too? I obviously would ride in it before I buy it but I am looking for something like a CWD or Antares but Antares told me they don't make wool flocked saddles and I have never seen a CWD with wool flocking and most are very far out of my range even used.

Also, do you think these saddles run true to size? And what do you think of the leather quality?

Thanks for any and all responses!
    Last edited by hequestrian; Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Info
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I had one and loved it! The balance is excellent, actually better than my Antares. It was buffalo and very durable. Not as soft as Antares or CWD buffalo, but still very nice. I only sold mine because it didn't fit my horse quite right. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

I also had one that I loved but sold because it didn't fit new horse.

I had taken one on trial and ended up showing in it that weekend it felt that good! Would definitely buy one again.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

We have one at my farm...we call it the hysterectomy on horseback :P Very uncomfortable, puts everyone that rides in it squarely on their knee and forces them to pinch, and it feels like sitting on a 2x4... And this is coming from someone who had an OLD Pessoa that was little more than a scrap of leather on a board.

Now, their dressage saddles? That's a whole other story! I'll ride in the one we have any day of the week!

What we do have that I love is the Equipe. Now there's a great saddle!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Thanks for the responses. Yikes... A hysterectomy on horseback sounds pretty dang scary...

The equipes that I have seen look supper slick and most that I have found are with foam panels. I am really hoping to get wool as I am going used and want to be able to alter the fit for my horse who has been hard to fit.

If you can try and find an older PJ, I have one that I believe is a 1995 model. It's wool flocked and fits every horse I've put it on from my narrow little pony jumper to this enormous 17.2 Irish Sport Horse who's boarding at my barn. It has some cosmetic damage from not being cleaned and cared for properly, but otherwise is a sound saddle. I love it!!

Thanks. I actually just found out that my parents are going to help me a bit more than I anticipated and I think that I am going to go with my original choice of antares.

I appreciate everyones responses!