The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1357

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lord Helpus lately? It's been awhile.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just thinking about this last night. Actually came on here to see if any of you had heard from her. I hope all is going well.

Beezer & Merry- How'd the horse go? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

.:Erin B #2:.
    You cannot stop us, you cannot bring us down,
    Never give up, we go on and on.
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

Me too (wanting news about Pam).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Me three, she said she was going to check in..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

5 of us....

MCL
    Equitation Crusader
    "r" H/J/HEq

Okay, I'll email her, because honest to goodness, I was ALSO thinking about her! "Great minds thinking alike," etc., etc.!

How'd the horse go? Well, he's standing in a paddock at El Ranchito at this very moment. It was rather humorous. We're told, "He's so quiet. He never needs to be lunged, yadda yadda yadda."

So I climb on and start hacking this rather large, stout black QH gelding. Yes, as I was told, he's still green and wants to (unfortunately) lug on your hands. So I'm trying to lift, half-halt and soften, to no avail. About the third time I say, "I really think he needs to be lunged," he erupts into a rearing/bucking frenzy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] So I bail off, put him on the line, and he runs around like a snorting dragon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

After that, he hacked pretty nicely, so Beezer got on and did even better than me, since she's used to riding trucks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] They even hopped over some crossrails. We get to try him for two weeks.

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

Yeah Merry and Beezer! Sounds promising, at least! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hope to hear some good news from Pam soon too!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Well, the contract has been signed, and I have just bought my first Green hunter. I am soo excited, and scared! I have experience with greenies (I have helped my trainer start many horses), so I'm not completely in the dark.

Anyway, this mare is four years old, a paint, 15.2, so sweet, just completely lovable. Were calling her Bridgette, show name Theatrical (actually her registered paint name is Norfleet Britches, don't like it).

Can't wait to pick her up next weekend! Will probably be consulting this thread a lot!

~SARA~
    Horse, thou truly are a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.
    Sara

Merry, I'm so glad you're going to email Pam. I, too, have been wondering how she is.

EqChika, welcome! We always enjoy pictures. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's an odd question. Has anyone ever had saddle pads that absolutely drive their horse nuts? This first happened to me over the summer, with a pad I bought that was the same brand and style as many of my other pads. The first time I put it on Tess, she threw a fit, bucking, kicking, even trying to scrape against a wall like it was making her really itchy. I washed it umpteen many times and tried it again with the same result so I threw it out.

Yesterday, out of the blue, Tess began to act like a banshee again. Since she's not a big bucker, the second time she tried to launch me, I thought, hmmm, this is a new pad. Even after I took it off, she didn't settle. Rode her today (different pad obviously!) and she was great.

So now I'm wondering if I'm suffering the curse of the mutant saddle pads. Or maybe if it's all in my mind (or Tess's)? Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

I have a baby greenie who is not started over fences yet. He jumps manure piles in the arena, so we're well started. =) We jsut started with a trainer and are coming along great!

Merry and Beezer, Looks like you'll be joining the QH club! Its not a bad place to be! I love my QHs, I've strayed toward other breeds but in the end I've always come back to them. Is he a full QH or an Appendix?

EqChika, I've heard only very good things about the Norfleet line, many successful hunters from what I understand. Sounds like you've got a nice horse on your hands. Any pics??

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

LaurieB - I have had a horse hate the saddle pad in a general sense, but nothing as extreme as you are describing... then again, I don't have mares [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (Robbie just said NO to $100 worth of gel pad and cover - he prefers his Beval pad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm not telling him about the $200 Supracor pads, thank you very much)

Do you think maybe there is something on the pad that irritates her skin when it warms up after a little bit of contact with her skin? Residual bleach or maybe a coat conditioner?

***An optimist thinks we are living in the best of all times...
    A pessimist fears this is true.***
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Mr. Brain, the rising 2yo gelding (just before Xmas),learned some lessons today. I have been ponying once in a while for several months, but only round the perimeter of a big field.

Today we went about 1/2 a mile down the road- encountering a bicyle and several cars- then up my sister's long driveway. The driveway has a BIG puddle- the full width of the driveway and about 20 feet long. It took a while , but I finally got him to walk back and forth through the MIDDLE of the puddle.

It is so nice to get these things "dealt with" before you even back them.

Also, my sister put a stick on him, and he has grown an inch and a half since September- 15h 2 1/2" in front, 16 h behind.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

He's an appendix. I believe, because he came off a racing QH ranch, but he's not tattooed. His name is... "Sinclair" but needless to say, it has already morphed into "Sam". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

Congrats Merry & Beezer. He does sound nice, even with the explosion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Sinclair, Sam is a great alternative...Is Sinclair his registered name? Can you take some pictures?? You know how we all are for pictures...

Let us know when you hear back from Lord Helpus. Maybe she can come and play, even for a short time. We all do miss her... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Ditching the classy name Sinclair for the common, ordinary Sam? Stick with the much more unusual Sinclair as Sam as a name is a dime a dozen.

He does sound very interesting, however. How big is he? I know you, Merry, and Beezer are into warmbloods so I presume are used to big bodied horses, but also want something of reasonable height. Since he came from a racing farm, I'd guess he has a goodly amount of TB in him. Do you know much about his pedigree? Not that it really matters - suitability is the name of the game!
    Cheers, Maggi

New horses are always a ton of fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Maybe I'm weird but I like figuring them out. Anyways, yet another pics request. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

.:Erin B #2:.
    You cannot stop us, you cannot bring us down,
    Never give up, we go on and on.
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

Well, here's the horse I'm picking up next weekend. I think she's just adorable [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] . I know, she is a little small, but I'm hoping she gets to 15.3.

LuckyMe, have you really?? I actually do not have much experience with paint/QH lines. I'm happy to hear that. This mare is definitely a great mover. Very flat kneed.

Whadaya all think???

~SARA~
    Horse, thou truly are a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.
    Sara

Hmm... I posted earlier but it seems to have disappeared!

Merry and Beezer, looks like you too have been sucked in by the QHs! Not a bad thing, in my opinion. Keep us updated on him. What's his name?

EqChika, your mare sounds lovely.... I've heard only very good things about the Norfleet line. Would love to see some pics if you have some!

I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of my filly. Its about six months old, from this summer, but its the latest I have of her! I really need to take some more asap. Her background info for those who haven't heard before... 15.2 QH filly, coming 3, just started under saddle. She's foundation bred, daddy was a halter horse and momma was a reiner. As of right now her career is undertermined, tho I think she'll be pretty versatile.

Eq Chicka and Lucky Me, both of your babies are very nice. Eq your mare looks like one we have in our barn. Came out of the paint horse world into the h/j one. He's a really good jumper too. Doesn't have the bald face, but high white on all 4's... Lucky, what foundation sire is your filly by? Its my ole QH soul that pops up, even tho my heart belongs to a TB... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For all of us who have expressed concern over Lord Helpus, I sent her a Blue Mountain e-card and signed all who recently posted. You can see the card at:

The Spot at Blue Mountain
    Cheers, Maggi