The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1357

I've been enlightened to the Support Group....

I wish the green jumper pony had a brain - I also wish I actually could jack up my stirrups enough so I could really work with her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Does this group count for older horses who have been out of the showing loop for a while?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Linds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

- **Co-Founder of the Everyone Thinks I'm A Pessimist Club**
    - **COTH Night Owl Support Group**
    - This Week's Lesson: "Ok, you pressed the 'Whoa G'Dammit!' button when you wanted the 'Whoa' button.....Don't press the Whoa G'Dammit!!"
    \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
    - T. Robinson

Pam- Best of luck through these times. Hopefully 2002 will be good to you.

As for me, I was "allowed" to ride my mom's friend's OTTB the other day. Man was I sore after that. Haven't done near enough riding on my greenie due to the hour trek to the barn I didn't dare make with all this snow we've been having. If it's mild tomorrow, I'm planning on heading out there. Weeee.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Anyways, OTTB... He's quite a trip. When she first got him, we had to ride him with spurs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] What's up with that? She got him a WEEK after his last race. I think it would've been humorous to see him on the track. Anyways, he's finally starting to realize what it's like to move forward from your leg and into the bit. Seems to be a quick learner. We can't decide if the muscles developing on his neck are from correct movement or cribbing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] He's fun though. Finally developing a brain so that's good. I was worried for awhile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] He actually cantered around the rather small indoor 4 times with his massive stride. The whole time I was thinking 'collect collect collect collect' but that made me think of telephone commercials. Oi... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyways, hope everybody had a good New Years. It's 5:20 and I'm off to bed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

.:Erin B #2:.
    Won't you let me take you for a ride.
    You can stop the world try to change my mind.
    Won't you let me show you how it feels.
    You can stop the world but you won't change me.
    ~*~Cold~*~"Bleed"~*~
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

What was up with yesterday?

It was unbelievable!! Not one, nor two but every horse/pony seemed to have something up their proverible butt! There was more lunging going on, mid ride. People would start out, then squeals bucks, head tossing, ape $hit all rolled into one. We had, at one point, 4 lunging gymnasts. With others waiting. Some wanted to tough it out, but well, their mounts had other ideas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

We were trying to blame it on all the rain. Since ours haven't seen sun in, oh how long??????????

Let's just say I went to the feedstore yesterday afternoon and bought some bales of sweet pea/forage mix. I'm thinkin' maybe a tad less alfalfa in the winter months. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Sounds like everyone's horses are being "Pills" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Elliot aka "Mr Cresty", (Hoopoe's new nickname for Elliot), is on about the least amount of food a horse his size can live on.
    He is still buff, hense the name Mr Cresty, and quite proud of his new look.

I do like his new Cresty neck look and such, but can I ride it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Perhaps it is the "Popeye" effect....after Mr Cresty escaped from his stall a month ago and ate approx 35 pounds of fresh carrots....... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

35 pounds of carrots?

Do tell Bumpkin. Sounds to me like "Mr. Cresty" should be renamed Houdini Popeye.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Merry, what is this forage you are buying? Can any of us get this at our local feederies? We do the alfalfa/grass hay mix. But these guys were all alittle loco..

I thought Mr Cresty would be Mr Poopy after that consumption.
    I only see him being even more greedy for treats in the cross ties. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I rode him today!!

We walked and trotted.
    Me thinking, "ouch, ouch, ouch" with every trot step. haha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually I feel better tonight. Hope I do tomorrow and I will try to ride again on Thursday.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Congrats Bumpkin.

Hot soak.

I thought Mr Cresty looked oranger than usual. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

We do get a grass/oat/alfalfa mix straight from the grower in the summer, but this has been around most of the year. It's alfalfa/oat/beardless barley/sweet pea. Go figure, huh? Sweet pea...I'm assuming the edible peas (they're just sweeter), not the flower!

I'm thrilled you're back in the saddle, Bumpkin.

Hammie got LTD'ed (lunged to death) at my trainer's today. Her footing was great despite the recent rains. Then he jumped wonderfully! I mean, the best ever! So there's hope, fellow greenie-riders! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

Oh yes Mr Cresty was lunged first.

But I wonder, I want him fit, but is he getting too fit? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh well it tis the New Year, and back on a more sensible eating schedule for his rider, who hopes to beable to fit back into her TS's and Dehner's.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Even though I will still have to have the Onion soup at the "Club" with Hoopoe once in awhile [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

My pelvis actually feels better today!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Poor RV, he has had his first "altercation" with snow (actually, it's still going on, I'm sure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). I turned him out this morning, and the snow started about 30 minutes later... I look up and there are 4 horses and one pony (who is also in his first snowstorm, but there is HAY so I'm not sure he noticed the white stuff - after the hay is gone, I'm sure he will see if the white stuff is edible) calmly eating their hay in their pastures, and one RV galloping around his. He then stops, tries to dig a hole (ground is frozen, so he doesn't have much luck), does this amazing dog stretch (keeping his front feet in his "hole") and proceeds to put his nose between his toes in the hole. Very strange looking and I am wondering what the hell is his problem. Then he starts walking around and flipping his head and I realize that his poor wittle nosikins is getting stung by all those evil cold snowflakes! He looked thoroughly miserable when I left! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I heard on the news this morning you were getting snow!!!

I am sooo jealous!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh how I want some snow around here.

Congrats Bumpkin!

Bet those human endorphins are flowing. Good for you, each day will get better. Lunging first sounds like a very good idea.

You have a point, sometimes we get these beasties way too fit. Mine currently is headed for a nice layer of cellulite. We need something to work with here. Like to have him slightly unfit. This seems to be the key.

Merry, that feed sounds good enough for human consumption. Will see if our local feed store has some.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Please, Bumpkin... come and get it!! You are more than welcome to have it!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

We are SOOOOO unsuited to snow around here...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Just want to point out that, while an "unfit" horse may be easier to ride, (s)he is MORE susceptible to injury.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Same goes for an "Unfit Rider" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] (As I think of myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )
    haha

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

to all "our" new baby green groupies! So very many ponies have joined up. I ALWAYS WANTED A FANCY PONY!!

Poor Tigger. He had to be ridden in the rain and chill and wind. He was not amused ... particularly when the clumpy dirt would fly up and smack him in the belly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] It added a little extra (i.e. unneeded) bounce to his step. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But he was such a good boy ... one thing about Tiggers, they may start out silly, but they soon settle down to work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

***I see trees of green, red roses too. I watch 'em bloom for me and for you. And I think to myself ... what a wonderful world. Yes, what a wonderful world." -- Louie Armstrong.***
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

I rode a greenie for a little while and she was insane- when she was in heat ( like every other day ) and you were riding her if you put your leg on her she would stop dead and not move. She was really really really fancy but hard to ride, when she was bad. But when she was good she was sooooo nice =)

QUINCY COME HOME! I MISS YOU! and of course Piggy Par, Princess Anisette, and Boberino! Oh did I forget Stro? Hey BTW whats an 8 letter word with only one vowl? SP?
    Don\'t get mad, get glad!

oh and congratulations- soon you guys might have the longest running thread that actually stayed on topic! Kepp up the good work! LoL

QUINCY COME HOME! I MISS YOU! and of course Piggy Par, Princess Anisette, and Boberino! Oh did I forget Stro? Hey BTW whats an 8 letter word with only one vowl? SP?
    Don\'t get mad, get glad!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Oh, I am really in trouble now. I had my first lesson since before Christmas and the lovely Midge is usually 'frisky' the first time she jumps after a break. Well, she was frisky, especially with the precursor to the weather DMK described. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, I was able to keep my (rather substanial) butt in the saddle, my leg steady against her side and the energy going forward into my hand. She was unable to yank me into my usual effectual position flopped forward on her neck, so she alternated between a somewhat angry "What is wrong??? I am usually in complete control by now!!'" and "See, if you do it right, I'll do it right."

So, I am now in that dreamworld where I think I may actually be able to ride! Oh, when reality raises it's ugly head...

'If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?'
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.