The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Good job, chef! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This support group is great! I hope no one minds if I'm chuckling along while I read these posts. Just remember: I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Justice: A reining/working cowhorse trainer might do the trick! Just think, on weekends when you're not showing hunters, you could make some $ doing jackpot team penning! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

some kind of brakes! when i pull you into the rail I dont me jump out of the arena!!
    corners are not made for running and speeding around cross cantering!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    When I pull to stop that IS IN NO WAY the signal for a game of tug-o-war! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    X's arent scary! you can see the other side!
    running into the jump isnt the easiest way to get to the other side!
    and worst of all.......
    when you are so horrible for me AT LEAST be some-what bad for my trainer!!!
    Now i know Im not the only one with this problem, but Im sad to see SO many of us.

-Stephy
    -Stephy

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Great thread!

Elliot was such a good boy at his, "Fun Show", that at the moment other than getting all his leads correct and wringing his tail like a wind up toy, I have nothing to pray for!! haha

So I guess I am saying at the moment...."My Ignorance is Bliss"!! hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Also I didn't have to ride him that day, I had a wonderful "sacraficial lamb" riding him and making him look wonderful!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

...as DF tries not to burst into tears...

My magic wand would make my fabulous greenie who is the fastest learner I have ever encountered sound again.

Looks like he isn't going to hold up to serious working. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Too much talent.

Oh no, DF! I'm so sorry! Maybe if he learns quickly he can just work part-time? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

By the way, you aren't distantly related to my sister, are you? All of her greenies seem to self-destruct. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Let's see .. Star needs to learn to travel OFF his forehand. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Flying changes come naturally to him. So naturally, in fact, he finds it fun to swap them when not asked every five strides or so. :P (Dressage, anyone?)

That he would no longer see the horrible monsters lurking in cows, especially calves.

That he would not travel in one direction while his head and shoulders point in another.

That, when asked for a canter and while cantering, he would not give little crowhops that are easy to ride but annoying and ugly, no matter how fun he thinks they are.

That, when a horse is ahead of him, his mindset wouldn't immediately fly back to his track days.

That his four year old mind could fathom the possibilities that NO, bushes that are half a foot tall do NOT contain cougars.

Overall, though, I love my little baby greenie. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] He's great over fences, I have no complaint there.
    We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")

What do ya mean, Starbucks? You mean you don't appreciate it when your greenie canters like a crab down the rail or toward a jump? How many times have I heard my trainer say, "Warning! Your horse's hind end is about to pass his front end!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"He' s two... two... two horses in one!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Somewhere in a hot,steamy place!!! Called Florida

I would wish that one of the ponies i catchride would do her changes and not drag me around!!!

sorry have to vent, for crying out loud she's a 5 yr. old small and she draging me around geez!! I mean yeah i am 4'9 at the least but geez!!!

okay sorry about that it was quite nessacary! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<Catherine>
    <Catherine>

we could take two consecutive steps forward instead of one forward and two back!!!

Arg! Last week I had a horse I felt could win, win, win. We were finally making some progress. Today we were back to the same horse I bought 5 months ago!!!!

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should just wish for more patience [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Yeah C&C, Between Midge and I, I am the one who needs the magic wand!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

1.) I wish for a shorter strided taller horse. 15.3 with a massive stride looks quite strange. Especially when at a slow pace you leave out strides.

2.) I wish for ENERGY! Please God oh PLEASE give my horsie some energy!

3.) I wish my horse would not go binge drinking before the hack....

4.) I wish for a horse who doesnt like the taste of edgewood leather.

5.) I wish my horse doesn't constantly neigh when he has to leave his friend back at the barn.

6.) I wish my horse wasn't quite so gay. Its embarrasing when my gelding has an eye for the stallions...

Well, 1205, I'm not sure which of your wishes made me chuckle more... #5 has been the most humiliating and painful for me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

As for binge drinking before the hacks, my baby gelding is a binger, too. But he absolutely will not pee unless he has a stall. He'll hold it all day. Then he's so uncomfortable that he can't hack with a relaxed back or hind end. *sigh* Hence, I do lots of overnight shows, or at least compete someplace where he can have an empty stall to hang out in.

Now me... I can pee in the trailer, but we've discussed this before. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Where do I start? You guys can complain about not getting your changes, mine cant even figure out the canter! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Your greenies are inattentive over fences, mine trips over ground poles!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

But what would be really nice is a little more bravery. He is a big big chicken. Not spooky, just a chicken. {{sigh}} He has a VERY wild imagination. Shadows on the pavement become 10 foot ditches, corn rustling in the wind means someone's coming to get him, and even though the flatbed trailer has been parked next to the ring foe weeks, its STILL cause for alarm, LOL. Dont get me started on the neighbor's goat... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Oh yes the taste for leather!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I used plain non laced reins for a year, my trainer made little comments about my "reins", Elliot seemed like he hadn't put a mark on them for awhile....so I changed them to a nice older set of laced reins.
    Of course in the matter of time it took me to latch my helmet, he had delaced one side!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I guess I should purchase him a large, leather, pacifier. hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Oh, poor Bumpkin! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] So Elliot's a leather hound?
    Paraphrasing from 'The Sixth Sense': "I see dead leather reins!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And don't get me started on tripping over ground poles. *sigh* Today I started the Hanoverian Cow Beast (aka Barbie) over weensy crossrails. We ultimately trotted my little 18" wall. Let's just say it was... "amusing". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

By the way, here's a photo of me hacking Hammie, aka "The Hambola Virus/The Ham Meister/The Hambolarama". It was taken a few months ago.

I have good news to report on the Greenie front. My prescious dorkmester has appeared at least for two consecutive days in a row... to have made a turning point... after three weeks stall rest we are back intraining and he is being very good. Doesn't lunge well, but undersaddle he is actually listening. He really wanted to canter today ( dispite it being a very muggy 90degrees at 10AM!!!). But he needs alot more trot work to get that muscle a little stronger( muscle tear to thigh area!!!) But for the first time ever he said okay I'll keep trotting. I was so proud of him.
    Maybe I am on to something here. 3 weeks stall rest must have turned him into a zombie.. now my out of shape greenie is ready to be a good boy. Or maybe he is just grateful to be out of his stall.
    But I am not going to question why I am just going to ride!!!! I am sure that tommorow will be awful... as of course he will have taken his two good steps forward and must now take his 50 steps backwards!!!! I hope he doesn't buck like he was doing on the lunge line!!! they were pretty spectaular and I am not in the mood to be "vaulted" from the saddle as my trainer refers to it.

Yes, I'd bet it'd be that 2nd or 3rd ride, when your greenie realizes it's back to work and he's getting fitter that he expresses just how much he enjoyed his vacation! So, wear your helmet and hang on! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Our thoughts are with you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I knew if we kept asking nicely we'd get a picture of Hammie eventually. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

He's a real cutie!

Oh I'll be wearing my helmet all right... I don't even bother to ride or show for that matter in anything but my certified Troxel.. it look okay, and it is a must in my opinion when working with greenies!!!! I learned the hard way... luckily without serious injure... just a could head thumping when my uncertifed came flying off after we over jumped a fence...it was 2ft9in.. he cleared the 6ft wings!!! that was of course after coming across the diagonal 5 stride in 4!!! and being on top of the the 2nd fence!!! Ahhh greenies!!!! Apparently it was quite spectaular!!!! Glad he stopped doing that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Elliot definately sees "Dead Reins" and likes to make certain they stay that way.
    I wonder if he would like some "naugahyde" reins? hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We had a wonderful lesson today, Elliot is so much fun to ride. He does not take off or leap around.
    I am always teary eyed and all gushy after most of our lessons, I just love this horse so much.
    I know I have tons to do, and he has tons to learn, but just feeling SAFE & SECURE is such a wonderful feeling [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    And having a very perceptive trainer for both Elliot and I is a big help and pleasure. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]