The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

"If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?"

That we didn't have a reason to nickname him "Dopey". That he would not scare himself so much, and that my dtr would not have to jump up and down in front of him waving her hands in his face and shouting "Booga booga booga!" when he gets into his "Dopey" moods. Silly, but after a couple of times it settles him down. He's usually a smart guy and he'll realize what an idiot he is being.

Otherwise, he's near perfect - could be a little bolder, but hey, he's a hunter and he's quiet, mellow, has a giant stride for such a shortie (16.0hh & can do a 3 in 2 and you want to see it again because it really looked like 3), and he has square knees when he jumps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On a side note, can you believe my kid is currently begging me for a second greenie? And a 3 yr old at that! At least Rio was ridable even if he did not know how to canter last fall.

Well it is so nice to see I am in good company.

I would like to add mine to the list that needs the wand.

I would wish for consistancy- One day the most wonderful horse on the planet, the next day "sYque" he is jerk that you were riding 8 months ago.

I wish that the bug that lands on his chest 3strides before a jump would become a none issue. "I can't get it off.....aaaahhhh"

I wish that his attention would focas on the jump the WHOLE time we are jumping it.

These are just a few but, but you all know what I am talking about.

I, too, wish for consistency...

When he's good, he's very, very good...
    When he's bad, it's like he has completely forgotten what his job is supposed to be.

I have to say, though, he's good 80% of the time now. So we're gettin' there... Whew!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would wish for her to have a longer attention span. No you don't need to change the way you spook at the same old trash can by the ring at home. Gee, today it is only to the right at a trot. Tomorrow it is only to the left at a canter. Next week? Hmmm, every direction at every gate. Makes the ride more interesting for her. Never mind that she has seen it no less than a trillion times.

As long as we are dreaming how about: yes you can go around collected, moving forward, and on the bit without snarking about it.

Newest Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group (but slowly growing out and graduating!)
    \"The credit belongs to those people who are actually in the arena...who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause; who at best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Great topic
    Some many things to change...
    Most obvious... leaving out strides down lines.... Yes Mickey i know you can go the four in three.. the six in five or sometimes four!!! but the judge ( and my trainer and ME!!) are not at all impressed.
    Being a spook!!!! the judges stand does not mysterious disappear and re-appear at the same spot. You can use your corners. and no it does not mean fall to pieces in the flat class when the judge asks us to reverse!!!!
    He use to buck, only got me off once... he would actually pause and let me reposition before bucking some more... They seemed to be quite ridable, but I was told they were quite spectacular with sometime 3ft of ground clearance. its is never good when i hear my trainer go..." oh my...." and " okay just hold on....".
    I am hoping that the new saddle will help with a lot of problems we were having... i found out that my old saddle was sitting off to the left severly, which accounted for a lot of his behaviours and ring issues.

Can't remember who mentioned that they took their baby green to two shows back to back , but I did the same thing...actually three ( the first two weeks were one day schooling shows) by the time we rolled into the third show a two day "C"... he was much calmer at least about the show grounds. By Sunday he even managed to behave enough to help me win a Inter. Adult EQ flat class and got fourth in the same over fences. He still is a spook, but I think he finally figured out he wasn't going to die!!! If you can do it is worth it... don't have to ride thier legs off just get them out!!!
    Good luck everyone!!!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

While Midge is not a baby at ten years, she is green in her non-racing career.

I know you spent six years learning to lean on the bridle, but could we stop doing it now?

Could we not bulge quite so hard to the left?
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Of course you would recognize that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Many of the horse shows near Atlanta are held at a resort and vineyard named Chateau Elan. The setting is just gorgeous and it's always a pleasure to ride there.

Here's another look. This is one of the warm-up rings.

[This message was edited by LaurieB on Jul. 20, 2001 at 09:23 AM.]

I have been watching Merry's closing and wondered how I could become a member of the Baby Greenie Clique. Guess this is my chance.

My daughter moved from her ever dependable pony to a baby greenie this year. We have been taking it really slowly and things were progressing nicely until about a month ago. Then all heck broke loose. Suddenly we are having panic attacks in the show ring. We did the ticketed warmups very nicely. We hacked in the show ring the morning of the show at Culpeper with no incident. We warmed up for the class with only the usual apprehension.
    We got to the gate....and that is as far as we got. Stage fright? We never even got a chance to have a bad fence. We didn't even get there. We did make a nice hunter circle in one class. That was an expensive circle.

As Jumpsalot said, very EMBARASSING. Believe me if he had been behaving that way at home we would never have put him on the trailer much less spent all my vacation funds. We are now back home and back to the drawing board. Can't find physical problems but we are giving him a week off just in case then we are going to have some attitude adjustment lessons.

I know that this is what we are callin our transition year but I didn't anticipate all this. It is somewhat comforting to me to see that we aren't the only ones with Greenis issues. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Finally down to a manageable number!

Do I get any sympathy if I have a barn full of greenies? Jumpsalot...I feel your pain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

Wow LaurieB, that is beautiful! I live, work and keep my horse on our vineyard. I have some great pics of my horse with the vines in the background. It is fun to see others too!!

Do they let you ride around the vineyard at the show?? That is my horses favorite thing to do. He really wants to go up and down the rows but I am a bit paranoid about all of the wire and if he spooked and got tangled up in it. We just stick to around the outside.

Here is a shot of my horse in front of out Pinot Noir early in the season when the vines were just getting going.

Boy is it nice to have a support group. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something TERRIBLY wrong! It had been 5 years since I had ridden a tota baby- starting from scratch. My old "baby" was doing the regular working & Large junior, with an occasional foray into Prelim Land. I FORGOT what babies were like!!!!!!Amazing how time can erase the pain & suffering(like childbirth?)
    Well , as Buster's Mom said, it can be downright frustrating when all is going GREAT & suddenly, braincramps.
    For those at Culpeper, 2nd week, if you saw a chestnut with a lot of chrome that was scaring women & small children the first few days, that was Lio- I apologize for the inappropriate behavior. He promised on that Friday that it would not happen again & begs forgiveness. He was super after that(or am I in denial?)
    The other one- well- I am going to try dangling a carrot from my fishing pole- just in front of him. Do you think they will count off if it is legal length-?48 inches - I believe- I guess I will have to use a baby carrot for the total length to stay under 48"
    Thank you for the space & place to vent & be supported in my total confusion & (at times) misery
    Jumpsalot & Lio
    Charter members of the BGSG
    It\'s a pity life ain\'t got no warranty for times like now...

Wow, the photos that've been posted are lovely! At least we can all agree: our babies are beautiful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh dear, poor Busters Mom: We so, so deeply feel your pain! Your incident recalls the former spotted Wonder Mare I bred/raised/owned. She did exactly the same thing in her baby green years. It's a fear of leaving the herd and going into the arena alone. True, you can force the issue, but it gets really ugly! Our solution: we went to a half-dozen teeny shows where my sister went into the arena ON ANOTHER HORSE and sat there whilst I schooled over the fences. Talk about making a fool out of oneself! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] But it worked and that mare went on to be an awesome jumper! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

I wish that Mickey's head would not go straight up into the air when he goes into his baby green classes. He looks like a giraffe and it is quite unattractive. I wish that he wouldn't wiggle and zig-zag down the line, trying to figure out how to get out of jumping over those scary flowers and shrubbery.

But I must give him kudos - he doesn't do anything bad in our classes...so far no bucking, spooking, scooting, stopping. Other than his giraffe-neck, he's quite the gentleman!

(i'm knoocking on wood as I type this)

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Merry, I am so glad to see that the plan we have in mind worked for you. We are going to go to a couple of real small local shows in August to try to get over this ring anxiety thing. Jumpsalot will ride over fences to provide "strong encouragement" and my child will do the flat for now. No need to rattle the green horse with a green child. Or rattle a green child with a green horse. We also have access to a real packer which will give my child some needed confidence. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks so much for the support. It is SO nice to know we aren't alone!!
    Finally down to a manageable number!

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

I've often wondered if a QH trainer could help, because the general explanation as to why he can't get the leads consistently is that he is built to go long and low like a finished hunter, and he is not elevated in front enough to get the changes (yes - I ride him in an elevator). Since he is built like a QH, maybe they would have more success! I wonder what miracle man would think of Justice spending some time at western camp? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

He'd probably have a coronary! But if it meant he learned the leads - hey - it's okay by me. Any recommendations in Southern Cal?
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

I wish that frank would go around like he was sober instead of weaving like he just had 4 beers.

*KB Passion*
    *KB Love Affair*
    *KB Incognito*
    *KB Eternity*
    *KB Time and time again*
    And the Oh so wonderful
    *** KB In Heaven ***
    *KB Passion*
    *KB Love Affair*
    *KB Incognito*
    *KB Eternity*
    *KB Time and time again*
    And the Oh so wonderful
    *** KB In Heaven ***

Oh magic wand, I wish for all of the above on the greenie I am riding. Attention span is a big issue and no Stanley you do not have to answer EVERY winny you here. Those horses are talking to each other not you, and the louder you scream DOES NOT help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    And No you do not have to buck for your hind lead, you can do it at home, so you can do it in the show ring.
    And please just once, could you use your front end and pick up your knees, again the attention thing, look everywhere else but at the fence. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] oh a jump I'll just swing my front legs to the right and my hind legs to the left. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and land in a pile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Oh the joy, can you feel the love?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder, He carries me away from all my fears. And when the world threatens to fall asunder, His mane is there to wipe away my tears. ~Bonnie Lewis

I need the magic want to turn good. That's my biggest problem, once he is straight to a fence there is no stoping him. I need the magic wand for me because my greenie is wonderful, I get in his way, lol. Have done a few lead changes after fences and got some, but have yet to set down and seriously work on them.
    Look out for Tick's over fences debut some time this summer, hopefully.

KB - I wish Jade would go around like she just had 4 beers...maybe then she would just CHILL. That is my wish...How did Justice and Jade come out with opposite temperaments?

Although the great thing about support groups is sharing success and giving everyone hope! I'd like to report that Jade and I were 2nd in the A/A hunters today and 1st under saddle! YEAH! She was SUCH a good girl, didn't peak at a thing. It probably helped that my trainer hopped on her bareback yesterday (brave soul) took her to the ring and walked her around for a hour while my mom fed her carrots! She was probably so worried that if she went too fast today she'd miss the carrot lady! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Are you at the Oaks? Congratulations!
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC