The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Ah, the joys of ponying babies! That's the job of Beezer's retired Trakehner jumper mare. She's the resident pony horse, and does indeed discipline any youngsters who dare get out of line.

Well, not only did I have the stupidity to advertise my brother's worm company, ala "SEDUCER", but I also had an interesting performance in the eq over class.

So I make this beautiful entrance at the sitting trot, right past the judge, displaying my lovely eq. and flaunting that even at my age, I can look good. I halt right in front of the judge, and prepare for this crisp canter depart. But Hammie doesn't depart. In fact, he's frozen. He refuses to move. It is nearly dark, and by golly, he is DONE. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I just sat there, trying to gig him with my outside spur, which of course is in full view of the judge, but Hammie lets everyone know he is just leaning into my leg aid by crushing my stirrup iron against the metal arena railing.Yes, folks, like fingernails on a chalkboard, my four year old is telling the crowd, "Hee-hee, she can't use her spur when it's crushed against the rail!" There's just this loud, whiney, "EEEEKKKKK" while my iron drags across the metal. I just knew Beezer was out there in the crowd, cracking up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

However, I did prevail, and had a lovely course, complete with tidy rollback turns. And I won! So there, Hambolarama! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Let's see. Hammie had to stand out in the sun (and Merry got propositioned) because Merry insisted that the show would be small and we needed to get there EARLY.

I think her first class was about 5 o'clock.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

She also left out how Hammie spooked only once at the pile of jumps outside the ring because Merry made Beezer go stand by them after that. That is, when she hadn't signaled Beezer to "move on down" to scary corner, where Hammie didn't really want to go. A by-now-lobster-colored Beezer figgered that it had to be pretty much obvious to everyone that she was accompanying Hammie around the arena, but she just follows orders. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Now, about that equitation over fences classes ... Merry neglected to mention how she did this beautiful sitting-trot entrance with a lovely halt to gather her thoughts. She halted. And halted. AND HALTED. Hammie was stuck in park; as she tried to thump him discreetly into motion (for, after all, this lovely halt was demonstrated right in front of the judge), he merely leaned into her leg, trapping it against the metal fence rail. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] So we were treated to the lovely "clink ... scritch ... clink" of foot and stirrup meeting rail.

Beezer got a very good chuckle out of this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Eventually, though, Hammie got unstuck and they proceeded to have a very good round indeed. Particularly since the first half of the course was all left turns, which required one lead change after another (Hammie is apparently genetically engineered to land only on his right lead). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Of course, we won't even get into how the show went until after dark and what with there being no lights in that particular arena, the hacks (which Merry wisely opted out of) where done by Braille.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

OMG!! Beezer and Merry post the same story at the same time!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Hey! We use that trick, too. Inevitably Jade will be afraid of SOMETHING along the rail of the arena so we stratigically position my mom (fondly regarded as "Carrot Lady" by Jade) wherever a monster may be lurking. It really works! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My baby, (Franklyn) would actually see the difference between a canter and gallop. It would be real nice if he would STOP JUMPING 2' CROSS RAILS LIKE THEY ARE 5' OXERS OVER SOME JUMPS EACH DAY, AND THEN UN-EXPECTANTLY JUMP THEM SLOOPY AND THEN HUGE AGAIN!- I love him any way- we are late bloomers ( he's 7)

Rachel O'Hearn
    Rachel O\'Hearn

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I was sooo proud of the Riverman the other day... If y'all recall somewhere around page 2-5 of this thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] he was learning to deal with the Evil People Who Make Scary Noises At The House?

Well I wasn't sure how much progress we were making with scary noises until last week. The people across the street decided to engage in their Annual Bushhogging and Lawn Care of their front property. Poor guy had to handle a) a riding mower on the easement (makes interesting noises when it runs over a beer can, which only happens when it is behind him), b) a guy with a weedeater (more of that buzzing with a periodic WHACKETY WHACK) AND a bush hog that was working on removing some low growth trees (LOTS of "special" noises). Bless his heart, the Riverman was umm, a little "alert" when we started, but he finished up like a trooper, and I even did his trot gymnastic to an X as part of the flatwork.

Had to give him credit - he handled it better than my 10 year old would have!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Oh, DMK, I think the other half of your bush whacking crew was parked out in front of El Ranchito today! They were up in cherry pickers whacking down the tops of the eucalyptus trees. Every now and then there was a creeeeek-POP! as the limbs broke. Then they were fed into the wood chipper. Ain't it fun riding in these sorts of situations?

And it's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who stations human defense shields around scary parts of the show arena! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Gee, do ya' think the judges get a clue when a bevy of humans station themselves at intervals along the arena rail? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I just wanted to share...

I am moving up in the world. My horse has graduated to the Pre-Green division. I was reserve champion in the baby-greens last week so I think its time to move up to 3 foot. My greeny is four years old and realized 2'6 is no problem and therefore is barely jumping over them. Look out 3 footers, here we come. Wish me Luck!

Congratulations! My four year-old, the much celebrated (and maligned) Hammie, is about bored to death with the 2'6" baby green division. Lately we've been doing the county circuit's amateur adult stuff, which out here is 2'9". That's only a tad more mildly amusing for him. I can't wait until next year, when I can move to the "real" amateur adult 3ft. division. Perhaps by then he will happily give me flying changes instead of being "exuberant" about them, as my trainer says.

One can only hope. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I'd love to return to the amateur owner division before I die of old age. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Merry, your dream sounds like the one I use to have about Elliot and I.
    I know Hambola and you will make it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

And..........we all will be watching! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

At least you haven't succumbed to other horses being stationed around the ring, humans are one thing, but those large 4 footers have a tendency to meander while being stationed. Not a pretty site either.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well since everyone is talking about their wonderful progress with them youngsters, I'll chime in, too. Jade was a doll at the last show (now that we have figured out where the Carrot Lady needs to be stationed.) We were champion in the A/A hunters for the very first time. And since success is so boring, we are now contemplating moving up to the A/O's next year!

I agree that success is SO BORING (we must all be masochists...)

The Big Dubya and I were champion at our last show, then we missed the big Sept show for various reasons.... So he is now put away for the winter (and I do mean "put away" -- he is already hairy, mane floppy on both sides, driving the other geldings crazy in the field, since he is KING and all must bow down before him).

What is left of the show year are a mess of schooling shows so.... the Mikester gets pulled out, dusted off and tomorrow he actually gets to be a big horse and goes for a lesson with the "big boy" trainer.

I have an unusual problem with Mikey. He LOVES his flying changes. He "learned" them in 1 hour and has never missed one. After landing from a jump, he wants to show off his trick (could I have praised him too much for doing them when we first worrked on them?), whether we need a change or not [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] , so he is not allowed to DO corners at all at home. It will be interesting to go to the show this weekend and try to string 8 jumps together......
    I have talked Maggie into running for President. She will be running on the Curly Haired Dog ticket. Her campaign slogan is "Don't be douchy or I'll pee on your carpet".

Please, please can I join? I have become the proud owner of a large 5 year old Canadian Thoroughbred gelding who is the most pleasant ,polite guy to be around. However, he is still very gangly young and stil doesn't quite know how to move the front end and back end together. Very unbalanced but sweet and willing.
    Some minor problems like - doesn't always like to stand still when I'm mounting, can go past something a thousand times during the course of the week but the 1001 time he spooks, he absolutely hate flys and being hot (I guess he likes the cooler Canadian weather). I haven't had
    my own horse in 6 years due to life and illness and now I have one! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    However, I was really just looking for a nice sale horse but he came along and now I just have to keep him. I really didn't want a green horse but he is polite enough and not crazy stupid and forgiving. I have been riding as much as possible for the past year and I half leased a horse last winter and have been taking lessons to help me regain some of what I lost.
    Sorry to go on and on - but I am just so happy and excitied - I had a great young life with horses on LI and now as I get older and my kids are on their on life paths I feel like I can play with a horse again and along comes this nice baby!
    Winter in VT does not look so bleak to me now!
    Thanks for listening
    Vermont - where winter riders are real riders.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I think you will find most of us are "older" getting back into riders!!
    You will find lots of support from all of us "Baby Greenie" owners. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Feel free to ramble on and on, most of us do!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Welcome to the group! This bunch of mostly mid-life masochists is always happy to have a new member. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
    Welcome to the group! This bunch of mostly mid-life masochists is always happy to have a new member. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LaurieB, I could not have said it better, myself: We are all MLM's here (mid-life masochists). Why do you suppose it is that there are few (if any) young 'uns in this group?

Perhaps I shall finally have to go to a signature line: "MLM and Member of BGSG"

Now, if I can only figure how to do it...
    I have talked Maggie into running for President. She will be running on the Curly Haired Dog ticket. Her campaign slogan is "Don't be douchy or I'll pee on your carpet".

I got myself into an OTTB situation... which really happened with Love at first sight. I walked into the barn, saw his face and said "That better be the horse for sale, because thats the one I'm buying" and so he came home. We've (yes me and the horse) have been plagued with lameness and illness for baout a year solid and just started our consistant training this month. He walks and trots awesome, and now picks up the right lead perfectly, but the left lead is a struggle, but much better then before He is learning gymnastics, and his manners in general are so much better. I love my horse, because he is trained for ME! the way I RIDE. And it's awesome!

Hello,

I love reading all your stories -- they'll keep me motivated for a while!

I bought my greenie at the end of June (eek! and it's already October!). He's a 5 y.o. appendix QH, who fortunately is super cute, because he'd be Alpo several times over by now if wasn't. We're starting to figure out the whole 'ground manners' thing, as well as the basics of the ever-frightening Going To The Right. He is so assymetric that when I fitted him for his saddle we had to decide if we were going to fit his right or left side. I figure he either had some sort of injury as a foal (saw nothing in PPE X-rays, though), or the TB/QH split in him has resulted in a TB left side and a QH right side.

If he masters the whole Going To The Right (henceforth GTTR) concept, he'll be searching for a show name for next summer (I'll be looking for some help there, hint, hint).

Looking forward to some greenie support networking!

--R

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Possibly Lord Helpus the MLM's have finally decided that dispite aching body parts, we will TRAIN this greenie.....!!! Or maybe, after all those years, the MLM's have lost their proverbial brains! (This according to my family) Bouncing not being what it used to, aches lasting longer than a week, am opting for "this is our last chance at a champion". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]