The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Elliot likes to grunt sometimes when I have to boot him into that lead change.
    I think it is to let me know, just how much effort he puts into his changes for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] hahaha!!!

She goes in and has 2 perfect days in a row... that would be 6 rounds in a row! A new record! We were 1st and 3rd in the A/A's on Fri. and 1st and 2nd in the Low A/A's on Sat. Then she put in 2 fabulous Hunter Classic trips and we ended up second. (the judge said we would have won but she spooked a bit going to the first fence.... what a surprise!)

So Jade has saved herself again. She just knows that having a baby would ruin her figure for good. Now we need to start threatening her with the broodmare alternative earlier in the show. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What is the difference between Low AA and AA?
    All these new terms and classes I need to ask to learn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The difference is 6" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I guess they needed a division between the Sort/long stirrup at 2' and the children's A/A's at 3' so they created this one. Mr. Chef got a kick out of the fact I was competing against 8 year olds. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But we have regressed. Last year Jade and I were doing the Modified Jr/AM (3'3") to get us ready for the A/O's. Not anymore!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

My guy cantered like a real live horse last night. He was actually somewhat balanced.

Some of you might remember my OTTB woes. Well, he's coming along so nicely now. I have someone longeing him for me on days where I can't get out. Makes alllllll the difference for me.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I had my first fall off my greenie, Belle, this weekend.

My instructor had us canter in on an angle (to avoid the first fence in the line) to an in and out, and she just couldn't figure out what she was suppossed to do. Almost ran out, almost stoped, then popped over the "in" fence, putting me WAY off balance over her shoulder. We head toward the "out" fence, and she ducks out at the last minute, throwing me even further off balance.

I eventually realised that there was no way I was getting back in the saddle, and I had no control, so I stopped fighting to stay on and "made a ball".

I think it freaked her out more than me.

We tried again at a trot, and she was fine.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Somebody came to look at my 4 year old. He's very natural over fences and low-key about the whole experience, so he can get complacent about jumping. Well, he came around to a 3'+ vertical (which he'd already jumped twice) and just never left the ground. Scary moment... crashed through the fence, fell to his knees and then did a face plant. My trainer rolled off to the side and Trevor jogged over to us as if to say "did you see what that jump just did to me!" Can laugh about it now b/c everybody was OK, but it does make your heart stop when they're on the ground like that. Best part... he jumped every fence after that in perfect form and actually paid attention to each fence. Babies...a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Ah...you do have to love the roller coaster ride that the green ones put you on. Right now I am on on a double high. After Jade's successful show, I rode Grace who did some really nice lead changes BOTH directions! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I can relate!!

Mine did the same thing. She is really green and mostly trotting fences so... the first time customers come to see her she trots an X fine, comes around to a 18in. gate (that she has jumped plenty) and doesn't pick her feet up. She falls on her knees, crashes the jump and all I am thinking while my head is between her ears is "don't fall off!!".
    Fortunately I stayed on and she was a good sport about it. It could have REALLY freaked her out.

I was so embarassed!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com

Showpony, she must have known you were going to try and sell her. That is the time they do all sorts of wierd things, in addition to commming up lame. It is almost like they have a sixth sense about that stuff.

I had 2 horses "sold" and they are both lame. One I actually delivered and he came home the next day (I trust these people and know that they did not even ride him the first day -- they called at 8:30 AM on day 2 and were almost in tears....)

The other is sold -- pending vet check. Fortunately the buyers are out of town at Trader's Point this week because he has come up lame and I have only until Monday to figure it out before the vet check.

I just know that they hear the "S" word and start limping.....
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

YEP, I said the same thing!

Maybe I should post that on the "how I know my horse loves me" thread!

Schooling w/out customers there she is great then when someone comes to try her she acts like she can't get out of her own way. Huh? what? a jump?

So I KNOW my horse loves me because apparently she wants me to own her FOREVER!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com

Ah yes, the rollercoaster ride upon the back of the greenies! I think they just tease you along by being good every once in a while just so you don't A) shoot yourself; B) turn to alcohol to alleviate the depression; C) take up raising birds instead.

What are the low A/A classes for? Those are the classes where you pull up your baby greenie because they're either scooting through the lines or pitching in the corners when you ask for a lead change. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I've decided I'd rather humiliate myself amongst my peers than amongst the professionals in the official Baby Green classes.

Pam: Here's hoping your sale horses stop loving you so much. You're just such a great home, they don't want to leave! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

Well, I found out why Mikey was lame -- he had stepped on a hypodermic needle and it was into his foot 1.25".......

He had surgery today at Rood and Riddle (full anesthesia and the whole shebang -- they consider wire inside hooves a real emergency over there and go into high gear ---).

Right now it appears that the needle missed the navicular capsule and bursa (by about 1/8th of an inch, if that), so the tentative outlook is good. But the culture will take 2 days to grow, and only then will we know what kind of infection we are fighting.....

I have not given a shot in months and keep a really clean barn. So, it appears that the most probable place he could have stepped on a needle was when I took him over to the prospective new barn last Friday to be tried....

We found it because as I was lunging him for the vet, he suddenly went EXTREMELY lame and we stopped and looked and he had blown an abscess out the bulb of his heel... So we took x-rays and all of a sudden, there was the needle!

So, off to R&R (15 minutes away -- I am lucky) and within 2 hours, he is in surgery...

He is still there tonight. I may get to bring him home tomorrow. And then we start with the stall rest and changing packings (a hole has now been dug into his sole to let the abscess drain and to medicate the needle track adequately).

Somehow, I thought I was through with this last month from Sophie Moose. Well, at least I am getting good at abscesses -- especially the really bad and infected kind.....

Poor Mikey. When he went under he fell really hard-- despite 4 people trying to ease him to the ground. And then it is so undignified to have your legs put in hobble-type things and be hoisted up by your feet, all trussed like a chicken.....

What a day!
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

awww!! poor boy! i hope he's doing better soon...
    i have a sort of baby greenie story ... but i'm not sure if it counts cuz the mare i rode was like 22 or so at the time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    we got her for free, and consequently don't know her history at all. she's a relatively easy keeper and was able to jump up to about 3' even in her 20s (and yea, we did have the vet out to make sure she was ok with doing that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) well, she jumped much better out on cross-country type fences than in the ring - she's never much cared for our show-jumps and tends to do the run run run STOP!! thing or the run run run try-and-duck-out thing ... keeping her slow is a major challenge [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    but anyhow, my trainer had set up a line of verticals that were about 2'6" or so - big enough that she kind of had to rock back and use herself and not run over them (her preferred method [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) well, we had done the line several times, and then my trainer moved the last one in a bit to make it a big 5 instead of the 6 we had been doing. she's naturally short-strided, though if she's ridden regularly w/ dressage work and lengthening exercises, she'll stretch right out and look lovely [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    she hit that 5 perfect the first time, and then got down into the corner and started hopping around and shaking her head back and forth - obviously much pleased with her old self [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] i thought my trainer was going to die laughing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] she's such a silly old goose [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] but i love her!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Full-time bargain hunter.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Oh my gosh, Pam! That's truly amazing, awful and fortuitous all in one helping! Who'd have thunk there was a foreign object in Mikey's foot? But the fact that it missed the bursa is very good news. Phew!

And my mom wonders why I consider getting insurance on Hammie... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Annie: I, too, have to keep reminding my baby to lengthen and stretch. He has a huge stride, but he's like a Gumby doll. He can really suck up and behind the bit and hollow his back and suddenly I'm on an 8foot stride! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

I got Elliot insured and feel much easier. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Wow, how horrible just make sure the dressings are packed tight and clean. My hopes for a speedy recovery with no problems.

And I second it, Insurance for all the moaning we all do I consider it a small price to pay for piece of mind.

As for Parkers diary it goes like this.

It was hot, real hot the last few days. Mom has been comming up at really late hours to play with me. Sometimes I wish she would stay home.

Like last night. I know if I see that women in the middle of the arena, I am in for it. Well I saw her. Mom is now making me get real small and "collected", what is she thinking? Does she really thing that I can get that small, and know where I am supposed to put my feet. It was hard and I tried to fight her. All this time I have been the happy hunter now I have to work harder. But she did wash all the sweat of me so I was not as itchy and gave me some treats. So that wasn't so bad

Parker

I think Ardy is the opposite of whatever I expect...He'll probably get sound as soon as someone comes out to look at him. I think besides his usual issues, he has an abscess.

Silly me; I was thinking he'd be ready for his first schooling show at the end of August!

This is strange all this lameness, I took Count to the show on Thurs. He schooled like a champ. Fri. before his classes I go to lunge him and he is trotting around fine, I look down at my watch and when I look up he is lame! We scratch him and put him away. We can't find anywhere he is sore on his feet or legs. We got him out on Sat. and he is a little stiff but much better. By Sunday he is his normal fiesty self again. We suspect he twisted his ankle. Which stunk for the show but I am glad he is better.