The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,341 to 1,357 of 1357

Let's see, which version of "Horse Show Hell" do you want to hear?

Saturday, the day I felt like I was riding in a remake of "Lawrence of Arabia", complete with howling winds, flapping garments and dust clouds, or Sunday, when I was judging endless hordes of kids who really had no business cantering 2'6"? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I guess I'll stick to Saturday and the Adventures of Hambolarama...
    1. I asked Beezer before I hitched up the trailer, "Do ya' think it's too windy to go to the show?" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    2. When we arrived, I noticed that some of my friends were huddled in the cab of their truck. They said (through the rolled-up window), "We're watching you, Cindy, to see if you're going to ride." Swell.
    3. Beezer and I were going to leave when all of a sudden Beezer says, "What's that hissing sound?" Oh, that would be my truck's tire, going flat due to the huge BOLT IMBEDDED IN ITS TREAD. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    4. So Hammie comes out while Beezer calls AAA. I decide to compete in the baby green division. As I start on course, I realize my horse is DFL (dead freakin' lame) in the hind end! HUH? He trots out of it, so I go on course and he's doing okay until he spies a pile of jump poles outside the ring right next to the last line. Let's just say I stopped out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    5. I instruct Beezer to leave the tow truck driver and come stand on top of the pile of jump poles for my next round. Yes, she does her impression of a log roller, but Hammie comes around the turn, sees Beezer and goes, "Oh. It's Beezer." And he has a beautiful round.
    6. There were people schooling for Indio, so I was thrilled that under the conditions, I got a 4th and a 2nd. I probably would've won the second round, but alas, all I saw coming into the final line was a long moving up spot. It would've worked, but Hammie doesn't "do" coming back in a line yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

And yes, I'm still picking grit out of my eyeballs.

"You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at." -- The Sundance Kid

Methinks that was a much abbreviated version, Merry!!! Congrats to you and Hammie!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My trainer has that "coming back in the line" down pretty well with Gramento, but I don't yet! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am so impressed by many posters' bravery! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh, not that anyone has asked, but my daughter's Childrens' Pony debut went GREAT! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Both she and Mini were stars. I was so proud of both of them - goosebump and tears welling up kind of feelings. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Here is a picture of them before the jogs. (This was her first time jogging and she got to do it twice!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Duffy, what an adorable picture! Thats when you know it's worth all the sacrfices [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Very cute!

Merry so did your "friends" come out and play? Or were you the only brave heart to be out in all that? Sounds like the Hambola actually did do very well. Most horses have fits with the Santa Ana's....Certainly wouldn't want to try mine in it..
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Duffy -- you look WONDERFULE!
    Merry -- You got guts, girl, and Ribbons to prove it! With all that, sounds like you did VERY well.

My greenie seems to be ripening, but not evenly. We had one completely perfect jump over the weekend -- set up a 2'8" vertical (horiz. block on vert. block with poles, odd size, but hey) and after clipping it with his hind once he just floated over. NO change in pace, lovely arc, just wonderful. Probably helped that I was REALLy trying hard, too (funny how the RIDER influences things with a greenie).

But then we came right back with a ride that, well...we did get some nice lead changes. Would have been even nicer if I hadn't been asking for a trot figure 8. Oh well...he's green. We'll see what he does tomorrow in my trainer's lesson...

Uh Oh!

Erin's on the hunt, we may get zapped people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Duffy your daughter and Pony are so cute.

"Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?"

wtywmn4 >> I've posted a fair bit about their diets in Horse Care but I'm pretty careful about it and I try to make up the 'lack of natural resources' as best I can. I don't think we have a product here like your 'All in One' but these TBs get a mostly roughage based diet (alfalfa/timothy hay & alfalfa cubes) with the remaining calories coming from oil and a higher fat extruded feed. Using this diet, I think we've eliminated most of the feed-related issues that could interfere with training, as the horses are considerably more relaxed then last year. I would love to move them to a barn with grass turnouts (that are actually maintianed) but my work schedule really prevents me from making the trip to these 'better' barns (plus, it's especially hard for me to find any place willing to accomadate my unusual schedule - most close up at 9pm, which is right about when I get home from work).

Anyway! Last night I tried to lunge first without demanding too much obedience on the lunge....and it was a success! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Scary at times, but still successful. It was scary at first because it took Seven approximately 0.067 trips around the lungeline circle to understand that TODAY, mom was not going to require him to listen (much), even though she was on the ground! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (How did he figure that one out so quickly???) I started lunging in the 'scary' end of the arena, since I figured if he could run around down there he might remember when I was riding that it wasn't so bad to be there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I kept my mouth shut while he showed off his powerful race horse stride. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (ya know, the one where they don't really gallop but merely plant both hind feet and shove off in several, rapidly-accelerating, successive strides??) The reality was, however, that he must have remembered his former lessons pretty well because he understood the limits of the line and didn't challenge them. We had a lot of bucking, a bit of rearing and only two episodes of spinning and changing direction without prior consent (quickly corrected). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

THEN, (and this is the best part) when I thought he might be able to hear me through all the 'woo-hooing' going on in his head, I asked for some transitions and he gave me two of the BEST trot-canter-trot transitions he's ever done on the lunge!!! No rushing, running, collapsing, or cross cantering! Even the downward transition was balanced!! I was so excited by that I almost ended the evening right there! But my goal was to ride so I decided to jump on and see what I had.

Well, he stood quietly at the mounting block [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img], stood quietly while I adjusted reins/stirrups [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img], then picked up a lovely swinging RELAXED TROT down to the 'scary' end of the ring!!! I kept the session short because he was being so good, but the work I got out of him last night was almost approaching consistent!

I forgot my watch so I don't know how long I lunged for (it certainly didn't seem that long, but time around horses has a way of being deceptive)! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, all did not stay good and wonderful, because during the last time I asked him to bend left, I felt the inside shoulder start to drop and heard a familiar, dread "cha-chink, cha-chink". So his goofiness loosened a shoe! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I hopped off to check it out and it was very loose and shifting. I tried to get it off with my hands without causing any more damage -- no luck. So, I started to lead him back to the barn and, of course during a little dance sideways in the dark I catch a glimpse of that expensive new winter shoe spin off into the darkness. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Even after searching in the dark, I couldn't fnd the d@mn shoe, so it'll probably be at least a few days until I can ride again.

Oh well, I can still ride the high of the good ride while I wait for a farrier! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

=^+^=

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Serendipity on Feb. 13, 2002 at 07:22 AM.]

Friday I am going to take off work and go get my former delinquent from his "whisperer." He has been there for 3 months and my daughter and I have been going down on weekends. Knock on wood but all seems to be fine. Daughter's confidence is building so with any luck (which I clearly deserve) we will be good to go this season.

As a confidence builder for my daughter, I am planning to show Tux first. Lord knows it has been 30 years since I was in the show ring seriously. As a confidence builder for me, I bought myself a new pair of breeches---RUST. I am so excited but my daughter is appalled and has questioned whether she wants to be seen with me. Guess I have been out of it so long that I wore rust 30 years ago so with me it never went out of style.

Duffy, you and I will be fashion plates with our rust breeches and navy coats. You, however, will be in a far more advanced division. I will be making my debut in mid April. Watch this space.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
    Finally down to a manageable number!

That is the beauty of being out of it so long, we have come back to what we are use to being the "Latest Fashion" haha
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yeah Serendipity Sounds like he is willing, and at least trying. Sorry haven't been to the horse care forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But sounds like you have the feed issues under control. That is a very hard time of the day, yikes like night, to have your horse pay any attention.

BustersMom, have a good show! Curbs they are a jangling for you....... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My lesson tonight was our worst!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    I felt like Elliot was taking off with me through this gymnastic, when we would do a simple trot in 5 canter stride line.... well he jumped big and loved giving a good kicky thing.
    I rub his side with my heel and that really sets him off!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    We had a couple good fences but this was the first time I felt I was not in control.

It was refreshing to see most of the horses and ponies in other lessons were about as bad. LOL

Guess it is because there is a bit of a cold snap going on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
    _Yeah Serendipity_ Sorry haven't been to the horse care forum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the support!! And...in re-reading my post, I hope it didn't sound snarky!! I certainly didn't mean it that way...I was trying to convey that I won't re-post all the boring diet questions I had over here, as concession to those who were kind enough to read and respond to them the first time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

=^+^=

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We started out on this gymnastic poles little jump, then more poles.
    After doing that we then started a line that was the trotting X five canter strides and a vertical. All low but he was jumping huge, and my legs would not stay still and his sides can be very sensitive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I feel like I have gone backwards and I am glad I viewed the lesson before and after mine, and saw my Perfectly Awesome Elliot was on the same wavelength as most of the horses last night. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Uggg...Sorry about your perky pony, Bumpkin! Don't these talented and sensitive guys realize that when they are over-exuberant with their ammy owners that they jump us out of the tack and thus tickle their sides?? Geesh!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Bumpkin, as Merry, Beezer, Peggy, and everyone else in So. Cal. can attest to, last weekend we had hurricaine forse winds that threw every horse into a tizzy. There are a pile of jumps outside the gate to our arena that suddenly came alive and it took me 5 five minutes to get a horse to LEAVE the ring! My trainer said that ours were the only horses you could turn out in the ring with the gate wide open and they wouldn't leave!

ok guys... time's up.

the thread is too big, and is taking too long to load.

start new topics. ID them with BGSG, or however you want. but this needs to not be a BB within a BB... rather, like everything else, topics that are actually ABOUT a certain topic. (dealing with spooks, steering, progress/regress, showing, whatever.)

no whining... i don't have time for it today. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

--
    *** DISCLAIMER: Please pardon me if this message seems overly abrupt, or there are blatant typos or a lack of capitalization. My left hand is broken and in a cast, and typing is not my favorite activity at the moment! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ***

at
    BGSG II
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).