The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

"My name is Merry. And I have a Baby Greenie." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?

For mine, I'd wish that he didn't lose his focus at the most inopportune times. Ugh! Like when I'm doing really well in my eq. flat class, we reverse at the walk, and gee, suddenly he notices the pony on the hillside. Or hunger pangs strike and he reaches for the rosemary bush right in front of the judge's booth... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

What would you change with a wave of your magic wand? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

"My name is Merry. And I have a Baby Greenie." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?

For mine, I'd wish that he didn't lose his focus at the most inopportune times. Ugh! Like when I'm doing really well in my eq. flat class, we reverse at the walk, and gee, suddenly he notices the pony on the hillside. Or hunger pangs strike and he reaches for the rosemary bush right in front of the judge's booth... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

What would you change with a wave of your magic wand? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I wish mine would knock it off with that fourth longe-line gait: the buckrearbuckrearbuckrear when he is challenged to work (i.e.canter).

I wish for a new and improved work ethic and a longer attention span.

You mean I have to jump another fence? I just jumped 3 in a row, without taking a break. I think it is time for a snack.

*Wave magic wand* Now we can make it through the entire course at a show, instead of just the first half.
    Check out my barn\'s website: Hillbilly Farms!

*waving magic want over Caleb's head*

Yes, you CAN swap leads in the rear when you are asked to do so in front too!! Cross cantering is a BAD thing!

Oh yes, and the little bucks after he clears a jump that impresses him telling me how much fun he's having and just how proud of himself he really is! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Courtney~
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

I'll get down on my knees and pray. Grovel. Anything. Please, please fairy godmother, let Justice understand flying changes.

I don't know who gets more frustrated - him or me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

A couple of weeks ago, I probably would have had lots of answers but then I took my mare to two shows back-to-back and it was as though the lightbulb blinked on. She finally got it. All of it, every bit of it...says the proud mother [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Her favorite thing? Finally getting promoted to doing the strides rather than the adds, which involved a serious "wheeee!" response on her part. (The picture illustrates our joint enthusiasm. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

hello my name is sugarbr and my daughter has a baby greenie..yes it is so much better to say it out loud How about not bucking in the turns or over jumping the fences three feet and and oh for that wand!!! here is a pic of our boy doing baby greens

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL my babygreen horse is perfect. I did one show in babygreen, another in childrens jumper, and i did the modified class at my trainers schooling show. Like the modified class was super much lower than a real show, but they had a few 4' jumps and he just loped over them, LOL.

-----
    http://www.catchride.com
    -----

I will wave wand, wiggle my nose, shake my ponytail, whatever...
    Lio went to Culpeper, and after earning a trip to longeland, was pretty good.Our big issue was oncoming traffic. I guess his antics were scary looking. They don't feel scary,though. I got a couple of evil glares when he decided to act like a buffoon when traffic scared him. Sorry about my child's behavior.He did go great in the ticketed warmups, though! AND fell asleep on a hand walk(while mom stopped to chat) standing by the big schooling area. I guess I was talking too long. OOPS!
    I would do above antics(wand, nose, ponytail) also to make the other baby greenie actually go TO the jumps. I had never had THAT happen. SOOOOO embarrassing!
    It\'s a pity life ain\'t got no warranty for times like now...

I have so been there before. It's three steps forward and 12 steps back.

"Sudden explosive bucks that come without warning. Trying to jump the sunlight in the indoor arena. Coming to a dead stop and refusing to move forward."

But I love the greenies anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

LaurieB, are those grapevines in the back of that picture?? Where are you???

My horse isn't a baby but he is still kind of green. I would love to use the magic wand on Chase's flying changes. He gets frustrated and gives up if he doesn't get them right away. I might take away a bit of that studdish dominance too!!

[This message was edited by Chanda on Jul. 20, 2001 at 10:34 AM.]

"I wish that she would be a little more clear in all those things she's telling me to do. I try to listen, but get so confused--and then someone drives in with a dog in the back of a pickup--I really don't like dogs, and I can't figure out why she doesn't think we should be really concerned about what that dog might do to us. And do circles without falling on my inside shoulder? What's that about? I could fall down! And we haven't been to a show yet--what is that anyway? Sounds like a heart-stopping experience." That's Jake speaking--We only started riding him this summer, and he already takes care of me. My horse is a punk, but he is so cool.

Oh, what a lovely magic wand.....

For Warren: I choose to change his terror of the warm up area. I also put in a fervent wish that each step be in front of the prior step. I am getting too old for these 180's.

For Kimmie: I choose to change a deformed bulge on the right side (but only when we go past the dreaded sand pile).

For Mikey: I choose to change the variation in speed of the canter. How nice it will be when each canter stride bears some resemblance to the stride before and after.

I have some other requests, fairy godmother, but these will do for right now. Thank you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I can totally understand your pain. A few years ago, I had this awesome QH gelding. Jumps were great, but he just couldn't get the stinking lead changes through his head. I was on my last straw at a QH show, and asked a trainer friend of mine to climb on him. Have I missed something? What's the problem? Well, Brian got on him and another trainer friend was riding out there (multiple World Champ western riding trainer) and, between the two of them and about an hour and a half later, Corey had perfect lead changes both ways and never missed another one! LOL

Keep plugging away, Justice. It'll eventually be there.

Here's a pic of Corey with the hunter trainer I used then doing the 3' at his first show.
    Friends don't let friends ride junk!

I would wave my magic wand and my baby green would have an attention span that lasted more than 2 minutes. Every time someone walks anywhere near the arena he has to watch every move they make. He will get so into watching other activities he will trip and almost fall down.

But seriously he had a previous owner that was a little rough with him and I would love to erase those memories permanently.

I would wish for my horse to understand the concept of going FORWARD! He's such a slug and sooo behind my leg that its quite frustrating. Oh, and if I use too much of my spurs and/or seat, he'll buck like I've never seen a horse buck before [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

This was the scene during one of the first lessons with this horse and my trainer...

Trainer: He's not going forward - KILL HIM!!!
    Me: (taking crop and using it about 10 times like I really mean it - hard!)
    Horse: la da dee, la da da
    Trainer: (jaw dropping) Its like it doesn't even PHASE him?!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I would also wish for him to overcome his A.D.D.

And now, let's all join hands, and bow our heads in a moment of silence as we recall all of these past embarrassments, those glorious moments when we sighed to ourselves, "Well, that just cost me $25." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Yes, we've cleared warm-up arenas. We've uttered curse words that've made our mothers blush. We've apologized to our trainers, who seem to act like they don't want to be seen with us. We chase them down with whiney voices saying, "I don't know why he's acting like this. He's really good at home!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

And yes, we've been on course and felt our eyes drifting downward as those front hooves hit the ground. What is that prayer we utter under our breath? "Oh please God, make him land on the correct lead..." Ah, this is the life of the members of the Baby Greenie Support Group. We are women. We are amateurs. We ride our babies. We are mildly insane... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Sudden explosive bucks that come without warning. Trying to jump the sunlight in the indoor arena. Coming to a dead stop and refusing to move forward." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is my horse, exactly! he's not a baby by definition (he is a 9 year old pre-) but he is in spirit. it takes my 1/2 inch spurs and a dressage whip to keep him going, but when he decides that he is up, he lets out gigatic bucks (breaking my humeris and displacing it 30%). but i think i might need a 12-step program rather than a support group at this point.

Bravery please!!

He looks at ever single jump first time in the ring. And if it's scarey enough he'll drop his back into this humongously large racing standardbred trot. And if it's even scarier he'll go from side to side by dropping his shoulder......Second time in the ring he's a super star. At a schooling show in May we had a godawful first round and the second round he placed first..

Unfortunately I event and you only get one crack at it. Mileage will hopefully go a long way.