The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Middleburg, VA USA via Turks & Caicos Islands, Caribbean

See the report from John Strassburger on location in Charlotte, NC for the latest on the USAEq/USET war.

See www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!

Middleburg, VA USA via Turks & Caicos Islands, Caribbean

See the report from John Strassburger on location in Charlotte, NC for the latest on the USAEq/USET war.

See www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

"Perhaps the largest other unresolved question is what to do with the National Hunter/Jumper Council, where Larry Langer has succeeded Tom Struzzieri as chairman."

Hmmm......who can enlighten me???

As I see it, the issue with the NHJC is several fold. Essentially, the ultimate goal would be to have the NHJC an independent organization as is the USDF and the USEA (et al). The problems seem to start with the fact that the NHJC is currently an "in-house" body, rather than an independent organization seeking recognition, and it has never acted independently, financed itself, etc etc.

Most of the independent organizations START from the exhibitors - that is, their base IS the exhibitors and volunteers that make it happen. Much the same as the local H/J organizations foudn throughout the country. The NHJC is a relic from the original AHSA - an organization run primarily by show managers and trainers - where (as has been stated flat out to me in meetings) the contribution and input from amateurs and exhibitors is NOT welcome nor appreciated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I am also appalled at the petty sniping, nastiness under the guise of being funny, I have heard in NHJC and Zone 2 meetings - from people I have always respected and appreciated. Not to mention the announcement at theDirectors meeting that certain issues had "unanimous" consent of the NHJC and people in the room at the meetings where these things were judged, when, in fact, that was NOT the case. I am offended by this behavior, and see it as the real reason why the possible (and necessary) break out of the NHJC is not viable. (IMHO)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

"Young also noted that under the provisions, the NGB Board of Directors and the division Boards of Trustees may only pass annual balanced budgets"-from the article

now THAT will require a huge change in operating policies
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Thanks, Weatherford, for the clarification. I too cringe to think of the breakout of the NHJC. It is MHO as well that the petty behavior you have witnessed in the meetings you spoke of is a symptom of the overall attitude of the group and has exsisted as long as the NHJC has. It would seem gaining independence would do nothing to improve the state of the sport.
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Thank you Weatherford. Will in fact the NHJC continue on? One would wonder if there is even a need for it. The idea behind it, was a good one. But it has taken on the appearance of a small org. not the governing body it once was stated to be.

It sounds like a very good start. But I have no idea how the H/J will resolve their issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
    , the ultimate goal would be to have the NHJC an independent organization as is the USDF and the USEA (et al). .........I am offended by this behavior, and see it as the real reason why the possible (and necessary) break out of the NHJC is not viable. (IMHO)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Membership in USDF is NOT required to show in a recognized dressage show - it is required in order to qualify for the USDF awards programs and for the championships (along with other USDF programs)

SO - if the NHJC were truly an independent organization then they would have to provide services, programs, awards or SOMETHING - some value added - in order for anyone to be inspired to join

an independent organization would not have the USA Eq requiring anyone to do anything with them

I think an independent org. is the best bet at turning it around - if they have to stand on their own.......
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Why does USA Equestrian have offices in Columbus, Ohio and Ithaca, NY?

During the meeting there was a rather pointed exchange where the NHJC accused the AHSA management of preventing them from becoming independent, and Balch asked them when they would have the business plan that had been promised years ago.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AM:
    Why does USA Equestrian have offices in Columbus, Ohio and Ithaca, NY?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Columbus is the D&M office.
    I am not aware of an Ithaca site.

NY, KY and OH - and soon... Gladstone.

Does Cornell do the drug testing? That could be why there'd be an "office" in Ithaca.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Membership in USDF is NOT required to show in a recognized dressage show <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    But membership in USEA IS required to compete in a recognized event, even at levels where USA Eq membership is not required.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melinda:

See http://www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"(The NGB staff would be a consolidation of the current USAEq and USET staffs with minor responsibility shifts. It would maintain the USAEq offices in Lexington, Ky.� Columbus, Ohio; and Ithaca, N.Y.; as well as the USET office in Gladstone, N.J.)"

Anyone know what's happening with the six-figure salary +, ++, and ++++ crowd in Gladstone?!

Unknown, as yet, Bostonian. The finances are being discussed adn will take some working out. Each side has to show due diligence.

Ithaca is the location of the USA Equestrian testing labs.

The merger is a long term proposition - there is a lot to work out. However, it is really nice to see the cooperation and general pleasantness among the parties involved. Alan Balch and Armand Leone were fantastic in the Open USA Eq. Directors meeting - referring to each other for clarification on some issues, etc. The charged atmosphere of animosity that had been there appears to be gone. That doesn't mean there won't be blips on the horizon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , but the news is good, and there is a genuine sense of relief here in Charlotte.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Well I suppose it's nice the legal fees will "perhaps" diminish but this new structure makes me nervous that we will have this big bloated organization if the merger attempts to "keep everyone" and "every location". There is much duplication with the merger - I just hope these Boards will act in the best interest of the members. The huge USET debt is something that can't be sidestepped. I know they've always counted on their Santa Claus's as Mr. Leone called them but Christmas is over!

Seems to me in the corporate world, there is always the promise that everyone will keep their job and then after a year or so, the downsizing starts. However, maybe some of the Gladstone people will be moved to the new USET Foundation and out of the international area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmoffitt:
    Seems to me in the corporate world, there is always the promise that everyone will keep their job and then after a year or so, the downsizing starts. However, maybe some of the Gladstone people will be moved to the new USET Foundation and out of the international area.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would make sense. But also remember that while the Federation does have an International department, it was not nearly as large and diverse as what would be needed to oversee all the international disciplines, mainly because the USET did that work. I am sure there is some duplication between what will be come the national and international departments. But again I would imagine that many of the people will be able to be shifted to new areas. Plus the Federation has a history of turnover in employees at the lower levels. In a way that might help, as they would not need to rehire for all those positions.

In the end, I would hope the best of both stay and not get pushed out simply because of a merger. I know that happens, but I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't loose my contacts from either organization that I have come to rely on.