The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What about cordovan boots, newmarket boots, velvet choakers to match the collar (velvet) on your hunt coat...horse braids in the color of the hunt coat...long(ish) hunt coats...flat tack, rolled tack, double bridles on the working horses...oh my..what about "hogs back" jumps, aikens, side diagonal side in the jumper(!!!) classes... touch classes...wow...I am OLD.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Does anyone remember "bib britches" that had a flap in the front that had a ton of buttons. My sister got a pair as hand me downs and we thought they were so cool. Of course, they were canary color.

My first outfit came from Bevels and Bev himself tried to get my father to buy me a brown hard hat (as they were called then) to go with my blue coat and rust jodphurs! The collar would have had to be brown velvet on the coat too. Would have looked just spiffy with the maroon lining!

All of these - great reading!!!!

Canary Yellow or Rust breeches or even JODHPURS! - Harry Hall Remember the heel elastic to keep em down in your boot?
    I remember Pytchley jackets with velvet collars
    Brown field boots that matched your brown helmet
    No A/A or A/O
    Working Hunters
    Pleasure Hunters
    Conformation Hunters
    Ladies Classic on the flat - sidesaddle class!
    Stubben Seigfried saddles
    Polo wraps? What polo wraps?
    Flat tack
    Hooflex
    Absorbine
    No $5.00 ring
    Prize Money A show: $25, 20, 15, 10, 5
    Ribbons to fifth
    Goldy-brown bell boots only
    Double Bridles in all hunters
    No chaps
    Elastic chin straps - no harness in the show ring

Boy those where the days.

Heh-heh-heh, road trippin down memory lane...

When I first started showing (1973, the old McDonough School Horse Show) the style was: hunt coat with velvet collar, velvet hunt cap sans elastic thingie (often the hunt cap was green or brown), rust or grey Harry Halls, shirts with those contrasting floral collars (yeck), brown field boots or black dress boots. Rolled tack was de rigeur for hunters. Many horse shows still had outside courses. I still recall doing the Hunt Teams class at the McDonough show with 2 other girls from Oldfields. It was so cool! And its true, there weren't any divisions lower than 3 feet. There was no medium pony division, just small and large. And God forbid, we didn't count strides!

I also remember showing at the Middleburg National when it was held at Foxcroft, on the grass. Got my first A show ribbon there.

Winning horses during the 70s -- God, there are too many to even remember, but the stand outs were:

Early Light, Touch the Sun (late 70s or early 80s), Ruxton, Rivet, Vim, Vital Victory, War Dress, San Felipe, and what was that horse owned by Bruce Duchossois?

Ponies: Even Gamble, Shendandoah Opal, Easter Sunday, Dresden, Dressing Drink, Snow Goose, Gina-Dee, Miles River Moonglow, Checkmate, Imari, Farnley Sir Roger, Farnley Nimble.

Anyone from Virginia remember the ponies Farnley Flint, Almost April and a black pony owned by Mo Dana and Mrs. Dillon that won everything in the late 60's or early 70s?

Yes - velvet on the jacket coller, L.Hunt bridles, Phase V (from The Saddle Shop/Bernie Cohan), Hartly Apollo & Hermes flat saddles, velvet hunt caps which came without any elastic/chin stuff, Harry Hall britches, TBs were THE ONLY horses to have, outside courses were REALLY outside courses (solid natural jumps, big and long courses). Ohhh....those were the days!

I loved Ruxton!!!! Saw him in the working hunters at the Garden in the early 70s. What an amazing horse!

I had canary breeches, a hunt coat with a velvet color, cordovan field boots, a Prix des Nations saddle, hunt cap with elastic that I didn't wear under my chin, velvet chokers, stock pins, etc. Also had grey Harry Halls, hunt coat with gold buttons, etc. The outside course at Fairfield was my favorite.

The brown field boots still sit in my closet waiting for a comeback....

Just reading all your posts bring back wonderful, fond memories.

Remember Belvoir Saddle Soap bars for 25 cents?

The madras plaid jackets, the drop-front breeches(someone previously called them 'bib')canary and tan full flare (non-stretch) gabardine breeches followed by a sensible rust. If you did wear black boots they HAD to have the patent leather cuffs. The old forward seat saddles even before Stubben Sigfrieds. My first Sigfried was $250 new! Marlboro boots for about $28. Newmarket boots.

The open shows were dominated by Saddleseat and Western. The few hunter classes would be hunter hack with a mandatory handgallop and 2 fences (usually at least 3' and more often 3'6"). If you showed hunter hack, you couldn't show english pleasure(I remember a bunch of us rebelled and showed up in western pleasure!). Open jumping fences started at 4' and jumpoffs were raised to 4'6'-5' and timed (if the show committee could find a stop watch!). That was as low as they got. Certainly no place for a green horse/rider combo to start out. And I'll bet a lot of us posters started there!!!

Very few tack shops. Miller's, Kaufmans, Deluxe Saddlery and a few more had catalogs that were our bibles.

Anyone remember when dressage shows were dominated by tb and everyone who didn't have a tb, complained that that was all the judges ever picked. Very few warmbloods and what there were were mostly trakeners(sp?).

Gosh, I could go on forever. How lucky the young riders are today with all the safety equipment, lovely low jumping classes to start out with, stretch breeches that (usually) don't split in the crotch.

One thing I will say tho that to watch a hunter class with their navy coats and tan or whatever color breeches they wear is sooooo incredibly boring. No flair, individuality, color. But one must go along with the crowd.

Many thanks to ErinB who started this thread which allowed us 'oldies but goodies' to remember the good old days.

msj
    Sue

I've got to stop saying "How stupid can you be?"
    Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one to have canary breeches. Apparently not! Does anyone remeber the "robin's egg blue" breeches?
    And, boots had that little leather strap on the top of them that you buckled and then tucked inside the boot. (Wonder why Vogel doesn't offer that?!?)
    Obviously, you wore jodphurs if you rode a pony, and you made sure that your chocker pin was on straight before you went into the ring. If it was muddy on your outside course, you did a mudknot. You're right... none of that counting strides business, you either saw your spot or you found another, less gracefull way to get over the fence!
    In NC, the Raleigh show was held at Dorton Arena (this was in like 1980 or so, before the new facility), and there were always a bunch of birds swooping around.
    i really don't recall any jumper classes to speak of, either. Ponies did their heights, and large and small juniors did 3'6", no questions asked, and very few other options were there.
    Maybe it was just me, but our horses would gallop over the courses, but then again, like somebody said, they'd been hunting a few days prior to showing, so they were used to it!

it's neat to see how much showing has changed! I wonder what everyone will think when in like 30 years us juniors will be talking about the '90s like this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered Deluxe Saddlery. I actually tracked these people down while on a horse buying trip to Baltimore 25 years ago.

And, Specks, you must not be quite as old as I am because, in the beginning, there were Open Jumpers at the Raleigh show (which at that time referred to the Lions Club show, a multi-breed show. The horse arena just doesn't have the ambience that Dorton did.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

but what about colored yarn and pom-pom's for the ponies??? Yes, I was six, and there wasn't anything else over jumps less than 3'!!!!

but what about colored yarn and pom-pom's for the ponies??? Yes, I was six, and there wasn't anything else over jumps less than 3'!!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...799&p=31116076

Sorry, souldn't get it into a different file!!!!

Ahhh, Stubben.

I still have a Stubben Tristan saddle that I bought donkey's years ago used from a woman in my boarding establishment who thought her riding would be improved if she bought a more expensive saddle. It is a Stubben that was actually made in Germany. Although it is a dressage model, I have jumped at least four feet many times in it. I will never part with it.

I also had the kind of britches that had to go to the dry cleaners every time they were worn.

I have a picture of me at the Tralee horse show with my black pony braided in this hideous yellow yarn. Oh Lord, the 70's were not a stylish time....

Still have my Crosby Prix de Nations -- wouldn't ride in anything else!

Jumpsalot -- are you still in touch with the Welles family? Ellen has one of my ponies!

madras jackets - yup - my first - blue plaid
    button-front breeches - yup - in fawn worsted
    colored braids - yup - in stable colors
    outside courses - yup - gallop 'n' go - and in-and-outs set 1 for horses and 1 for ponies and the smalls were allowed to take 2, since they were set for larges
    colored hats - yup - never had one (although my black faded so that everyone thought it was brown 20 years later when I was still wearing it!) - REALLY wanted a hunter green one - one young woman in KY made her own (recovered black ones - had every color in the book! - I was so jealous!)
    rolled bridles - didn't like 'em - I did same as someone else mentioned - bought a saddlebred bridle and used that, but replaced the rein with a braided (not laced!)
    regulation heights!!! - yup - see head nodding vigourously with "if you couldn't do the height, you stayed home 'til you learned how"
    FUN - YUP - see head nodding even more vigourously in agreement with need for more fun and more breaks
    division classes split up throughout day/show - YUP - this is a necessity if we're to attract spectators
    elastic hat bands - I believe these were ONLY on the velveteen hats - I never saw a velvet one with them unless they were put in by hand
    Marlborough boots - in the $25 range - all my students bought them, wore them just enough to start breaking them in, then we took them to the shoeman who took them in a little in the lower leg and added a plain (NOT PATENT) cuff - and voila - custom boots for $35 max.
    Jumper ring - there sure were jumpers on LI - Neal and Uncle Max, Danny and Little Scubbie, Harry & Snowman, Riviera Wonder, Windsor Castle, Ira and "the carat horses" - and tons of others I can't remember now
    A/Os - that got pinned for getting around in reasonable style while managing to keep their owners on board

so much fun...... aren't memories wonderful?
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Great picture, PamM!

Note, no saddle pad, no stirrup pads, probably a sewn in bridle!

Also note the near perfect line of the automatic release!

Loved those tweed jackets with the belvet collars - loved the velvet collars on the formal jackets, too! Velvet collars are coming back in abroad - or never went out, perhaps.

Ties - if you didn't have a choker and didn't want to wear a stock. I had some wonderful ties!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Wrong, ccoronios. I never had a velveteen hat in my life. My black hat didn't have the elastic thingie, but both my blue and brown ones DID.

I, too, used to get the saddle horse bridles and reins because they were skinnier. I'm still looking for a replacement to a rein I had in the 70's - plain rein w/ a raised front. I do not like laced.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

From when I was showing in the late 60's through the mid-70's....
    madras and floral chokers
    striped shirts
    coats in all different colors and materials, including plaid
    rust and canary breeches
    Custom Dehner brown field boots and black dress boots
    Pariani saddles
    Rolled bridles
    Helmets without headgear
    Never riding with a helmet unless I was showing (NOT a good thing, looking back on it now...) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Custom shirts from C.O. Gooding -- anyone else remember those??
    Big outside hunter courses
    Hunter team classes
    Appointment classes
    Never jumping a fence lower than 3'6" in competition during my show career
    Juniors and Amateur/Owners competing successfully in Green and Open Working Hunter classes - they weren't the exclusive domain of the pros way back when
    Open Working Hunter classes that exceeded 4' in heighth
    Open Working and Conformation classes with way more than the now typical 3-5 entrants, same with Green Conformation, and 1st and 2nd year Green Working
    Automatic releases
    Bridle Path Hack and English Pleasure classes
    Table I touch/rub classes for the jumpers
    Lots of TB's (many OTTTB's), Warmbloods almost nonexistent
    No baby green hunters, pre-green hunters, short and long stirrup, children's hunters, etc.,in recognized shows
    Nice silver trophies, often times presented by little kids, beauty queens or Boy Scouts (I have the pictures to prove it!)
    Braiding our own horses, with overalls put on over our show clothes
    Fun exhibitors parties

[This message was edited by dublin on Dec. 20, 2000 at 12:02 PM.]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

I started showing in 1965.

Ringside parking at every show (even Devon!) and when the shows ran late--no lighted rings--management asked the cars to turn on their headlights.

The must-haves then: Stubben Siegfied Saddle (usually worn with no pad at all); custom made bridles from England; flared gabardine breeches which soon gave way to fitted Harry Halls, canary usually, occasionally rust; Vogel boots with patent leather boot tops; NO shadbellys on children ever ever; ratcatcher shirts with contrasting chokers; and yes, I had a madras hunt coat, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Grooms that came from Ireland and knew everything. What a luxury that seems like now.

Small and large ponies only, heights at 2'6" and 3". Outside courses at almost every show, often with real stone walls. Courses that always began with a brush jump. Appointments classes that required hunting crop, sandwich case, and string gloves tucked under the girth (even on ponies.) Divisions that had either four classes (three over fences and hack) or five (including a model) and that was ALL you did--no schooling classes, long stirrup, warm-ups, low hunters, etc.

My favorite ponies of the era (can you tell that's what I showed?) Large: Pride n' Joy (mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ), Prim n' Proper, Thorwell, Rebel, Hot Shot Kid, Rommel, Neat n' Tidy, Flying Mouse, Serendippity, Chimney Sweep. Small: Wizard of Oz, Highfield's Town and Country, Chantilly, Squeaky, Midget, Driftwood.

Wow, this brings back memories.

1 members found this post helpful.

What fun to know that there are more people than just me that misses the outside courses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I still don't count strides (except for an in and out) and use my eye and feel to get to the right spot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tralee was the BEST! I think she still runs the shows in the summer and WITH the outside course. Last I saw her a couple years ago we were following Casanova Hunt in a car. Other than drooling over her old show hunter pictures we got to talking about showing in general. She said that she hated to see the outside courses go and whether people like it or not, she is still keeping hers. If you don't like it, don't ride there was her philosophy. I love it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Oh, yes, colored yarn and pom-poms! Velvet collars, rust jods and flat bridles. I still like a nice flat bridle in a thinner look than the hunt bridle. I also love the real sewn in bit and reins.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight