The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

One of them, was knitting and selling the most beautiful woolen items.
    I purchased a stocking cap for Mallory when she was wee, and a friend had her make a red sweater with her dogs life size in angora. It is gorgeous.
    I remember Jim James Again, saw him in HORSES!! haha
    Didn't they winter in Tahoe, because of the sking? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

ccoronios, there are two different McKinney families--one from Connecticut (Lucie, Jeannie, and Libby were the three sisters) that MHM already answered about; and one from Kentucky with about six or seven riding siblings. Tamara was one of them, and I wish I could remember the rest of their names. They were all fantastic riders (with really good horses and ponies--Storm of the Glen is one name that comes to mind) but we only used to see them once a year at Harrisburg.

By the way, Tamara was a pretty determined skier too. She made it all the way to the Olympic team.

Jimmy Schmeltzer was still there last time I looked, which was a couple of years ago. He is indeed a character and always has juicy gossip to share. I once happened upon an old bridle upstairs in his used tack dept. It was a classic, wide, flat sew-in snaffle. Best part was, it had Dave's monogram stamped in the crown piece. I covet the thing.

Was anyone else at Sedgefield the time Dave acquired his prize fighters nose? Back then, the main ring was the bottom one with all the box seats. The "nose job" was a result of the conformation horse he was showing misfiring off the ground and swimming through the oxer. The lumber flew and the top rail landed squarely across Dave's face. Ouch... [Rodney Jenkins was showing ponies at the same show.]

Marie, what a gem. She was the queen of uninhibited with her surroundings. She'd pull up mid-course [if her lovely darling was having a bad go of it] put her hand on her hip, and begin a conversation about her trip with the judge and people ring side. During the hack that followed one such episode, everyone got into the act. Don [of course] started it then Joey, the judge, and all else followed. Before long a loud conversation was going on as they trotted around.

Wasn't Tamara the one that broke her back skiing as a junior and continued riding? As I remember their farm was at the end of the runway at the Lexington airport.

farmgate, TOO funny. I'd forgotten that until you said it - Marie pulling up, talking with everyone, etc. She'd ask people sitting in the grandstands what they thought too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There was room for personality to come out (in regards to huntcoats and attire) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must ditto this! When you shopped for a huntcoat, there were so many choices. I had one very successful girlfriend that I stabled with/showed with in the AO division at A shows (as there was no Am.Ad. back then!) and she had a big chestnut with white stockings, and her signature outfit was (get this!) a rust-brown coat with cream lining, rust breeches, cream shirt, brown hat and brown Dehners. And she won everything. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Then there was Natasha Karazissis (of Far West Farms/Karazissis brethern) who was the most gorgeous, olive skinned beauty, and her she'd come into MY equitation classes in her HOMEMADE (by mom) CHERRY RED coat in some sort of semi-gloss fabric, white breeches and white shirt and black hat and boots, and darn if her eq. wasn't perfect. She rode a black horse, by the way. The whole picture was stunning. Sure, she stood out, you had to look at her. But she was perfect. We were total rivals, but she was very nice and a great horsewoman (lady?). We often placed 1st/2nd. About as outlandish as I got was a guacomole light green huntcoat on my plain bay. Not quite as illuminating as Natasha, LOL.

Ah, those were the days indeed when your riding was judged, not your ability to dress in standard military attire. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I'd forgotten about those, Bumpkin and Rusty. But they were indeed grand fun. Do you remember how folks would dress up? A lot of the teams would have themes ... I was always jealous of the kids who got to dress up in their parents' racing silks. There were also sooooooo many different -- and fun! -- classes at the Thanksgiving show that we were on horseback all day long. It's a wonder the horses didn't all go on strike.

And there was nothing like Santa Barbara in the rain and wind and FREEZING cold, was there? It seems like it was ALWAYS miserable! I'll never forget one medal class I rode in a downpour; it was nighttime (how I LOVED night classes -- I felt so "adult" and formal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) and about a stride out from the first fence, the light right over it blew out. My grand horse never even hesitated; he took the last stride and we jumped, both of us figuring that that fence was out there someplace. We finished the course through sheets of rain and were both absolutely soaked; I could barely hang onto the reins. That is one of my most cherished ribbons -- and it is STILL has the water stains on it.

I think Merry mentioned this already, but those were also the days when many of the A shows out here were held during the big county fairs. Indio, Del Mar, Fresno, Sacramento.... Frankly, the A show riders of today don't know what they're missing. Nothing like being in a hack class at Indio, in front of a PACKED grandstand, and being bolted away with when a camel or ostrich poked its head over the ring wall right in front of your horse. Yes, a camel or ostrich! For you see, Indio in those days, being set in amid the date palms in the desert and all that, always had camel and ostrich races between the horse classes in the afternoons. One wonders what Rox Dene would have thought of THAT! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Beezer on Jan. 05, 2001 at 01:26 PM.]
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Okay, here are a few glimpses of memories that all of this has stirred up...

-Using braiding yarn to tie the doorknob of Gigi Gaston's motel room door to the outside balcony railing so she'd struggle to open her door in the a.m. before our hotly contested jr. eq. class.

-Forsaking family traditions and eating Thanksgiving turkey dinner at the Santa Barbara Biltmore hotel with your barnmates (albeit dressed up) during the Santa Barbara "turkey" show.

-Hopping on the tram at the Del Mar Fair (during the Del Mar show) to venture into the midway to grab a cinnabun for our horse in an effort to bribe him before his flat class.

-Being in an eq. class at Indio, during the old Date Festival/county fair days, when all the various show divisions were combined. Right after a few saddlebred classes, the grandstands were crammed with "civilians" who were primed to applaud for their favorite horse/rider (as they did for the saddleseat events). But this was huntseat eq., and I was sitting on a keg of dynamite! But alas, I was the crowd's favorite (must've been the guacomole green coat and rust breeches!) so I got all the applause... and bolted into oblivion! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

-Schooling over jumps in the barn aisle at all the A shows. Not done much anymore, eh?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] The trainers we had then always carted along portable jump standards, and right there, in the aisleway, we'd canter back and forth over the fences. So what if the ground was hard/uneven/mucky? Or that you were in full view of the judge and the arena?

Must remark, though, that in all honesty, my sister and I were relatively poor kids at the time, showing on the A circuit, on cheap horses, but we were trained well and nicely turned-out, and you know what? We won, especially in eq. and medals. I never felt that we missed a ribbon because we weren't with a "name" trainer, or because we weren't mounted on a Flintridge horse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ccoronios, there are two different McKinney families--one from Connecticut (Lucie, Jeannie, and Libby were the three sisters) that MHM already answered about; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaaah.... I wondered, because I wasn't aware that the KY McKinneys traveled this far east to show (except to the Garden).
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Night classes with the rides all light up and making noise! I rememberSacramento also it always seemed to be 110 out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Maybe those of us that have been around a while should start a fashion revolt? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You must imagine this being told by Patty H. who is a consumate story teller. I was crying I was laughing so hard...

At a show, Patty is judging and the A/O's come in for their hack. Now, Marie always had Josh stationed by the ring to hold out carrots as Snicky came by. It would slow him down enough that Marie could make a nice pass in front of the judge...

But, somehow, for some reason, in this particular class, the carrot trick was not working and Snicky got stronger and stronger until he BUCKED right in front of Patty. Well, Marie knew the class was blown, so she starts training on Snicky. Pulling him up and turning him -- and the rest of the class was still on the "canter" command. Needless to say, other riders in the class were having to jerk their horses up when Marie pulled up in front of them, or turned right in front of them. The class was turning into a demolition derby. So Patty calls the class to a walk and asks Marie to come in and line up. Marie keeps on walking, ignoring Patty. Then Patty has the ringmaster go out and lead Snicky into the center of the ring where Patty tells Marie she must stay, so as not to disturb the others.

Patty calls for another canter and begins to judge that gait from scratch. Then she calls for a walk and a reverse direction. All the riders do, INCLUDING MARIE who walks on out and re-joins the group! Patty is standing there, thinking, "When did I loose control of this class? What do I do now?". But she just gives Marie a glaring look and asks for the second direction gaits. At least at this time, Marie behaves herself and follows the ringmaster's directions for walk, trot, walk canter.

Only Marie!

And I have another Marie story: In an A/O conformation class (when they still held them) I get called in right in front of Marie. Now, my horse was one of the best jumpers you can want, but conformation was not, ahem, his strong suit. So we are standing there, trying to look pretty and just as the judge comes up to look at Valor, Marie asks: "Pam, when did Valor start jumping so flat? Did you change bits or has he always jumped flat as a pancake?" LOL. Its like being asked when you stopped hitting your wife? What CAN you say to that? Especially with the judge 4' away?

And the worst part was that Snicky got moved up over Valor.... Now, Snicky was a nice looking horse and probably deserved to move up over Valor, but it made me crazy that the judge would switch us after that comment of Marie's.

Oh well. Life is not as much fun without characters like Marie around.....
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

The Lexington McKinneys are Lee, Laura and Ouisha. Ouisha is the one who makes the "to die for" custom sweaters. I got one for my mom for Christmas several years ago. In her silks colors with the farm motif on it. It was the best present I have given her in years.

Laura's farm is known as Stoney Point and she is an agent at the Keeneland sales. She also buys hunter prospects for resale. Lee does racehorses, but if she had a jumper, she would probably go back into the show ring.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Hi Pam I posted a pic of Marie and Snicklefritz on the New Dated riders thread. This thread was so long I figured I would use the new one.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Beezer and Merry you rode with her until when?
    I had met someone who had a lovely big, big bay mare from her.
    I often wondered about that mare, her breeding, and what happened to her. Perhaps we can email? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]