The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm reading Tami Hoag's book, Dark Horse, now. Love it.

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I've heard mixed reviews on Dark Horse, but I know it's fun to imagine WEF as a site of a mystery novel! It's a weird place - tents, stinky manure pits, golf carts everywhere, stretchy pants, and whips and chains... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

More than once, she included banamine in a list of "sedatives". I know banamine is a n NSAID, but I never heard it referred to as a sedative before.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I just read Dark Horse over the holidays and it was very good. It is a long read, over 400 pages but at times I had trouble putting it down.

Another good read is Hot Blood which is all about the Helen Brach (candy heiress) disappearance.

Just finished Riders and loved it. Does Jilly Cooper have any other books involving horses?

Hoag's Dark Horse - I bought it, I read it. It was OK. But, I honestly don't like her writing, and there were parts of this that definitely annoyed me.

Show Gypsies by Leigh Brown (mid 70's) is a great one. And Anne McCaffery wrote on about showing in the 60's - unfortunately I can not remember the name - but it was excellent!! Especially her descriptions of the YOUNG GEORGE MORRIS!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:

I remembered the name. It is called "Born Rich" and it is by Jamie Johnson. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jamie is ironically a cousin to Alison Firestone and the film almost didn't get to see the light of day due to one "participant" recanting any cooperation. see here

"Show Rider" - about Kerri Cibarelli, who showed an OTTB that she re-trained (with BNT's help, of course) named Cinema I in the juniors and eq.'s. I believe the setting was Long Island. Lots of nice pictures. Even though it's a book geared toward teenage girls, I still enjoy pulling my copy out every once in a while because I see myself at that age in its pages.

The Anne McCaffrey is
    Ring of Fear.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Wow, what a great thread. I'm printing it out now! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Can't wait to get to the bookstore...wishing Mom (or, more specifically, her credit card) was home, then it'd be off to Amazon! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Pony Fan, I simply must, must, must read your "Born To Ride". http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif And the other book (I've already forgotton the title, I was so excited reading about all the books I've gotton all the titles of all the books mixed up) sounds quite interesting too. Good luck with finding a publisher and be sure to tell us when you get them out!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Piper:
    Just finished Riders and loved it. Does Jilly Cooper have any other books involving horses?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She also has one out called Polo.

*Gotta Love Those Chestnut Mares With Lots Of Chrome*
    *Gotta Love Those Chestnut Mares With Lots Of Chrome*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hehhe - not that I don't love that this thread has turned into horsie books for adults, but I was specifically looking for A circuit life books <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, here's one I haven't seen mentioned --

Fall by Kai Maristed. It was released in the mid 90's, mostly about the big eq. scene on the east coast; the central character is a trainer who sorta carried on an affair with a guy working for a nightwatch company, who's new to the horse business. Lots of stuff about the "A" circuit.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned, although it's not necessary about the A circuit, is Forward Motion by Holly Menino. It's a non-fiction, very similiar to National to National in format; it covers three riders in the three Olympic disciplines: Anne Kursinski, Lendon Gray, and Keith Taylor, and the horses they had at the time. This book was released around the same time frame as Fall. A rather sad sidenote -- I had never heard of Keith Taylor, the Eventing rider, until I read the book. Then about a year or two later, I read in COTH he was killed while competing at an event. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Anyway, both books were well-written. I highly recommend them if you can find them.
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

PONY FAN

i'd like to e-mail you...or could you e-mail me...have questions about your book!!

THANK YOU JANET!!!

FUN book!!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Just hit amazon's used book network and ordered Fall! Can't wait till it comes in! If only I could find Show Gypsies somewhere!!

"Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who
    have the habit of making excuses." -- George Washington Carver

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

I have a fairly good collection of books (both horse-realted and non), and Show Gypsies is one of the elusive ones I had a tough time finding.....saw one copy on Alibris or Abebooks a while ago, I think for close to $300. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Great thread!

Steven Price wrote "Riding for a Fall," a good mystery set in the show jumping scene of the 90's.
    Does anyone know the author of "Catch Rides," written in the late 60's or early 70's & set in the local horse shows of California? I lost my copy long ago & would love to find another, but it's tough when you don't know the author.

Jane - I've seen Show Gypsies on B&N's used book network for around $60, which, alas, is more than I can justify spending on a book! At least a non textbook book! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who
    have the habit of making excuses." -- George Washington Carver

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

Old Grey Mare: McAulay, Sara
    I had Riding for a Fall written by Lillian Roberts - is there another book of the same title running around?
    Rose

Old Grey Mare: check out one of the used book sites. (Amazon, Alibris, etc) You can easily find that the author is Sara McAulay and http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif that there are copies for sale quite reasonably.

Ahhhhh. This is why I love the internet. Find the titles here on COTH, then buy, then wait for the mailman to bring me a present!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket