The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    It's a documentary about a bunch of trust fund kids, and Georgina Bloomberg is interviewed in it. I don't know her riding is mentioned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, what's the name of that?

My karma ran over your dogma.
    Emily@catchride.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    It's a documentary about a bunch of trust fund kids, and Georgina Bloomberg is interviewed in it. I don't know her riding is mentioned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, what's the name of that?

_My karma ran over your dogma._
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remembered the name. It is called "Born Rich" and it is by Jamie Johnson.

My karma ran over your dogma.

I don't think it is out just yet, but I know she has finished writing it and sent it out to a few people to get quotes about it. I believe it is a sort of coffee table type book with pictures and text describing horse show life. Hopefully it will be available by Christmas!

visit www.victorianfarms.com

is pretty good. If you read a 'note from the author', her "other" life is a dressage rider! I had no idea...I've read 98% of her books. Her book is set on the showjumping circuit, but the story is about the mystery, not the circuit. I was a little disappointed at the lack of horse stuff...I really liked the book, though, b/c I like all of her stuff.

"Trail of Secrets" by Eileen Gouge is really good. It's about a girl who rides as a teen, grows up, experiences life, and gets re-involved in the horse world. It's very enthralling; I couldn't put it down. Again, the horse stuff is limited, but the story is very good...there's more horse stuff in this one than in "Dark Horse".

Another one ya'll may enjoy (I really did!) is "Horse Heaven" by Jane Smiley. It's not jumping related, it's race related. However, it in no way resembles a Dick Francis novel. In fact, some of Horse Heaven is from the horse's point of view. Again, couldn't put it down.

If ya'll can find them, Jody Jaffe wrote a 3 book series of horse mysteries...she's a fashion writer for a paper, and ends up getting into situations at her barn. She's at a h/j barn and has a horse. They were very good...I wish she'd come out with more, but I think 3 is all there is. "Chestnut Mare Beware" is the only title I can dredge to mind at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken, Nora Roberts has one as well...I THINK it's in her holding/finding/something else the dream series (Nora writes many trilogies...she's got a blue million of them. The trilogy I'm refering to is Holding the Dream, finding the Dream and one more whose title I can't remember). The book wasn't about horses...horses and jumping were simply a part of the story.

Well, hope these were helpful. I'm like ya'll...always on the lookout for a good horse book/movie. All of these books are adult, not young adult. Tally ho! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

"The daughter who won't lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable." (Samantha Armstrong) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

It's not the Circuit but, honestly, Jilly Cooper's RIDERS is the "Gone With the Wind" of trash, the perfect marriage of Jane Austen and Jackie Collins, perhaps the finest novel in the English language. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

I want those books when they're out!

Maybe the big interest in Seabiscuit and Horse Heaven will help you out.

More books:

Last Junior Year by Barbara Morgenroth. Out of print, but well worth finding. This is a young adult coming-of-age title, not steamy.

Laura Moore has two recent romances... one is "Ride a Dark Horse" and I think the other is "Chance Meeting". They are very accurate in their A-circuit horsey details and are generally well done. And some very funny steamy scenes.

She might also like "The Lady" by Anne McCaffrey. It's Ireland, and hunting, but steamy and lots of horseys.

[edited to correct titles]
    [This message was edited by poltroon on Nov. 06, 2002 at 02:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by poltroon on Nov. 06, 2002 at 02:14 PM.]
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Just read this last Sunday in the NY Times Book Review.

It's amazing what horses can do for a mystery. Kit Ehrman's debut novel, AT RISK (Poisoned Pen Press, $24.95), falls into the usual first-timer traps: baldly drawn characters, patches of stiff dialogue and an overkill approach to violence. But the country setting of a slovenly run horse farm in Maryland reeks of authenticity, and the hunters and jumpers that are boarded at this no-frills garage have personality to burn. When seven of these horses are stolen in the dead of night, Stephen Cline, the 21-year-old barn manager of Foxdale Farm, mourns each animal like a lost friend. ''I felt as if someone had kicked me in the gut,'' says Steve, who, in the honored tradition of a Dick Francis hero, vows to track down the thieves after being kidnapped and beaten to a pulp during the theft. As a former groom, vet and barn manager, Ehrman knows her way around horses and show barns, even if she does need more practice jumping those writing hurdles.

hehhe - not that I don't love that this thread has turned into horsie books for adults, but I was specifically looking for A circuit life books [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Though keep going w/ the general horsie fiction - we've both read pretty much all of the ones you're mentioning (The Lady by McCaffrey and Riders by Cooper are two of the best books ever!!), but some new ones are popping up, which I am adding to _my_ Christmas list!

PS - I actually just bought Last Junior Year on eBay - for way too much, but way less than the out of print dealers are charging!

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

Morgenroth has another, called "Ride A Proud Horse" that is more 70s and is not as good, but has a definite A-Circuit flavor.

There's another where I can't remember the title... girl has an Andalusian GP jumper, and her groom/trainer is a refugee from the Mexico City earthquake...
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Not really about the A circuit, but an earlier novel by Jane Smiley that I really enjoyed was "Barn Blind" about the pressures a really "horsey Mom" placed on her kids.

This is a coffee table book, and is alas out of print. Hardly any text, but really magnificent photos of ordinary riders in the context of the whole setting. It has show jumping, dressage, and eventing photos.

Originally posted by Poltroon
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There's another where I can't remember the title... girl has an Andalusian GP jumper, and her groom/trainer is a refugee from the Mexico City earthquake... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are referring to Trophies by someone whose last name is Sheridan - can't remember her first name.

~One day my mind just wandered and it never came back~
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

"Trophies" by Ainslie Sheridan

Another (out of print) one I thought of: "Riding High: Ian Millar's World of Show Jumping" by Ian Millar and Larry Scanlan. Not US A-circuit, but fun anecdotes about developing and campaigning Big Ben et al. (Alas, no romantic bits for your friend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

[This message was edited by poltroon on Nov. 06, 2002 at 07:05 PM.]

Thanks guys!!! I just ordered 3 books from Amazon, can't wait!!!!

I too have "In the Irons" FABULOUUUUUSS! And there's even a cute little pic of Maggie Jayne on a tiny pony, hehe.

Where do ya'll find all the A-circuit novels??? Tackstores and bookstores in my area do NOT have them! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

* B E L E N *
    *Larks Caruso* / *Every So Often*
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!
    ---> *My New Page* <--- (10/31- Updated!)
    Belen
    http://community.webshots.com/user/lovingit09
    \"I\'m looking for a dare to be great situation\"- John Cusack

I pick up every book I come across that has a horse, or horse-related item on the cover. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Too bad you can't search Amazon that way. However, you can follow the "also bought" links and check the listmania! links and find quite a few titles that way. Even if they're not in print, you can at least find out about the book and most now have used copies for sale.

Actually, this BBS has been a great source of new titles. I've found lots of great books here!

Also, a friend of mine deals used horse books on the side. My 'pusher' always emails me when she's got a title she thinks I'll like. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I also thought Riding High was pretty good. It has all the day to day stuff of being a GP rider, as well as diaries from a few shows. It is also an autobiography however, so it has a lot about Ian Millar's youth/early days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    He who claims to have made a small fortune in the horse business probably started with a large one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

I have thaT book too!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It has some really cool pics-showjumping, hunters, dressage..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

~Claire~
    "The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. So why study?"
    Claire
    \"You can\'t hava da Mango!\"

One of her better novels, mystery with a few murders, intrigue - set in Wellington, no 'show jumping ' scenes like in Riders, but good - if you know Wellington and Palm Beach, you'll like it - heck, even if you don't know them, it's good! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"Let me become the person my dog thinks I am\"

"Riders" by Jilly Cooper... very much a trashy romance novel... but a good book none the less.