The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2008
    Posts
    855

    Default Horse injured after being spooked by neighbor with chainsaw

    The owner and supporters on the FB page are wanting to blame the chainsaw operator and the tree trimming company for the horses injuries.

    Posted on the FB page of Padre the Mustang (the one who won dressage at Devon)...
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Padre/130599216986228

    "On May 29th at 2 PM, Padre' was turned out in his pasture located outside of the back of my house. I was sitting in my living room and looked up to see Padre' running frantically. I immediately got up, put my shoes on and went outside to see what was going on only to find a man in a tree within 10 feet of Padre's pasture which is about 50 feet wide and 200 feet long. The man was wielding a chainsaw and had just started cutting down a tree. The man must have seen me and stopped. I yelled at him for tormenting Padre' and not giving consideration as Padre' was in a panic to say the least. As a horse person my whole life, I have never before seen a horse in such a panic showing the whites of his eyes, snorting and frantically running trying to get away and having no where to go being contained in a 6 foot fence. I asked the name of the company he worked for and he would not respond. I asked again and received a less than pleased response as I put Padre's halter and lead on. As I walked Padre', still quite panicked, about twenty feet from the paddock the man in the tree turned the chainsaw back on and also the tree shredder started. Padre' reared up and spun in circles again in a complete panic. As he pranced and spooked the rest of the way back to his stall, I had hoped he would be ok.

    Within an hour, Padre' began to swell in his back legs from his fetlocks and through his hocks and the muscles in his rump and lower back were extremely sensitive. I called my vet for an emergency visit and he was given an IV Anti-Inflammatory and IV Muscle Relaxants as well as an Adequan. I rotated cold hosing and hand walking Padre' for 6 hours and spent the night in the barn outside his stall to keep an eye on him overnight. At 5 am I started the process of cold hosing and hand walking again until the vet arrived at 9:30. He did a quick exam, gave him a Legend injection and told me to drive Padre' to the University of Wisconsin Veterinary Hospital to be seen by their team.

    At the hospital they did a variety of tests including flexions, x-rays, ultrasound and bloodwork. Padre's lameness is mainly in his left hock with significant effusion on the outside of his hock with blood spurting into the effusion. He also has effusion on the right hock and muscle soreness as well as a raised stress level in his blood work. Padre' will be on stall rest for ten days and will be wrapped followed by hand walking and a return to the hospital in two weeks for a follow up ultrasound and x rays and then again in July. Through all of the tests, Padre' charmed the Doctors and teaching students as well as other horse owners at the hospital gaining even more fans with his incredible temperament and good looks. He was such a good boy they did not need to sedate him for x-rays or the ultrasound. The prognosis for a return to work August 1 at the earliest. Outside of his trips to the hospital for the Ultrasound he is also not to be trailered anywhere due to the stress it puts on the joint. Padre' and I are so fortunate that this injury could have been so much worse than what it is.

    With a large variety of events and shows planned over the months of June and July, we unfortunately have to put everything on hold that Padre' was to attend until the Hospital Veterinarian clears him for travel for starters possibly in July and riding hopefully in August. As you can imagine this is devastating for Padre' and I. I will update everyone as to Padre's progress after we return from the hospital in two weeks. I have to send a huge thank you to Dr. Koehler for responding to my first emergency call as well as Dr. Brounts and Dr. Wiener at the UW Madison Hospital and
    their students. Thank you all for your support of Padre' and I as we face this challenge."
    Last edited by BansheeBreeze; Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2004
    Location
    South Park
    Posts
    3,623

    Unhappy

    While it is terrible and I wish Padre a swift recovery (I think he is gorgeous and have been following his progress as a fellow Mustang owner,) I can't say that I support the second part of this comment on Facebook "My main priority is still getting him back to 100 percent an I will deal with the tree company second."
    Unless they were trespassing, there isn't much to "deal with." Probably some guy just doing his job, thinking horses normally do run around...



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Exactly what I was thinking. If the tree guy wasn't on her property, I really don't think that she can do anything about it. He was just doing his job, not deliberately scaring the horse. It's terrible that the horse got hurt, but I don't really think there's any liabilty on the part of the tree company.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2010
    Location
    Earlysville, Virginia
    Posts
    3,284

    Default

    I can't tell from the story what is wrong with the horse. Did he injure himself running around? The title made it seem like the horse came into contact with the chainsaw..
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

    Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    They way I read it was that a tree trimming company worker was trimming a tree by the horse's paddock and the horse freaked out and hurt himself running around.

    The owner thought he was "tormenting" her horse, but unless I am completely missing something, he was just trimming the tree.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2008
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I can't tell from the story what is wrong with the horse. Did he injure himself running around? The title made it seem like the horse came into contact with the chainsaw..
    Sorry for the confusion, I changed the title



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, take a right, FL
    Posts
    4,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post
    They way I read it was that a tree trimming company worker was trimming a tree by the horse's paddock and the horse freaked out and hurt himself running around.

    The owner thought he was "tormenting" her horse, but unless I am completely missing something, he was just trimming the tree.
    Yeah this. It would have been nice had he notified the horse owner he was going to be working there but don't think he had any legal need to do so and probably had no idea it would be a problem.

    My TBs don't blink at a chainsaw but I'm pretty sure they would implode if taken to Devon!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

    Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,874

    Default

    It's a bummer, but this is the kind of stuff that comes with horse ownership.

    Some of the comments on that page are absolutely outrageous. They're acting as if the guy with the chainsaw took it to the horse and chopped it up. Perhaps someone should link them to articles about the Pollards trailering tragedy to help put things into perspective.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr. 8, 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,576

    Default

    OMG the DRAMA! Tormenting the horse? Seriously? The guy probably didn't have a clue. Maybe Padre's owner should have calmly asked the chainsaw dude to turn it off for a few minutes until she got the horse in the barn and settled- you know, the catch more flies with honey thing?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,935

    Default

    Typical horse woman:
    a nucking futs drama-queen entitled self absorbed pain in the arse.

    Tormenting her horsie? Really? WTH? Ridiculous.

    All people should know what a running horse equals scared and they should then stop doing their jobs to soothe that horse.

    Yup, pita horse-biddy. No wonder why we can't get much respect in the rest of the non-horse owning world. We've got tons of people WAY worse than crazy cat ladies!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Missed training opportunity... Not suggesting I'm good enough to take advantage of it, but if it were here, I'd certainly ask my wife to take a stab at it.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    24,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Missed training opportunity... Not suggesting I'm good enough to take advantage of it, but if it were here, I'd certainly ask my wife to take a stab at it.
    Bingo.

    Here is a reasonable quote from the facebook page:
    "Not to start a argument here but I hope people will learn from this situation. Unfortunately since the man was not on your property and simply doing his job, he was not intentionally causing harm to Padre. Most people who don't know horses aren't going to be able to recognize the difference between panicked terrified horse that could hurt itself and a horse running and looking pretty. I don't know what you would have expected him to do, stop and go home and tell his boss he couldn't work that day because it was making a horse run around? I don't think it was a good idea to go out yelling at the man right off the bat, and I can see why his attitude turned sour. It would have been more appropriate to calmly ask him to stop the chainsaw until you could safely put the horse in his stall where he wouldn't get hurt. I'm sure the man would have had no problem obliging to that, as oppose to somebody screaming at him for just doing his job. Not everybody is a horse person and the best defense against things like this is KNOWLEDGE. Explaining WHY the horse was upset and how easily he could have been hurt would have been much better than screaming at the guy, as much as it's what you really want to do. Sorry it had to happen and hoping Padre recovers swiftly!!"
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    OMG the DRAMA! Tormenting the horse? Seriously? The guy probably didn't have a clue. Maybe Padre's owner should have calmly asked the chainsaw dude to turn it off for a few minutes until she got the horse in the barn and settled- you know, the catch more flies with honey thing?
    This is exactly what I thought. If she had just asked him nicely to turn it off while she got him under control, I'm sure he would not have even hesitated. Most people aren't complete jerks when asked to do (or not to do) something in a non-crazy manner.

    It's not like the guy was chasing the horse around the paddock in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" style! He was just doing his job.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,834

    Default

    What a maroon. (The lady, not the guy running the chainsaw.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    The way I read it is not that the owner wanted the tree cutter to stop long enough to get the horse out of the area, and he didn't. To me, that's just rude & unecessary.

    Granted, words like "tormented" are dramatic....but on another recent thread a poster described being injured when the barn owner's son continued to use an air ratchet after she asked him to stop, that poster got plenty of sympathy and support.

    And most people agree that drivers who go too fast, or too close, or honk their horns, are being rude.

    So, even if the tree trimmer was within his "rights" to just keep working, in my mind it's a matter of common sense and courtesy.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    The way I read it is not that the owner wanted the tree cutter to stop long enough to get the horse out of the area, and he didn't. To me, that's just rude & unecessary.

    Granted, words like "tormented" are dramatic....but on another recent thread a poster described being injured when the barn owner's son continued to use an air ratchet after she asked him to stop, that poster got plenty of sympathy and support.

    And most people agree that drivers who go too fast, or too close, or honk their horns, are being rude.

    So, even if the tree trimmer was within his "rights" to just keep working, in my mind it's a matter of common sense and courtesy.
    I think if she had asked him to stop while she got the horse into the barn then you would be completely correct. From the way I read it, she didn't, she just yelled at him for being there in the first place. The poor chainsaw guy probably assumed that once she had the horse controlled (with the halter and lead) it was safe and in some cases it is. Yes, he could have had more of a clue, but is it his fault that he is uneducated in how horses react?

    Honestly, the fact that she yelled at him first and did not go directly to her horse troubles me. Yes, she could have asked him to stop but her first priority should have been getting the horse out of there, not yelling at him.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2008
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    I feel bad for the horse but it sounds like the guy was just trying to do his job, and yes I understand she was upset but starting off by yelling was not a good idea

    I hope him a speedy recovery



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2008
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bingo.

    Here is a reasonable quote from the facebook page:
    "Not to start a argument here but I hope people will learn from this situation. Unfortunately since the man was not on your property and simply doing his job, he was not intentionally causing harm to Padre. Most people who don't know horses aren't going to be able to recognize the difference between panicked terrified horse that could hurt itself and a horse running and looking pretty. I don't know what you would have expected him to do, stop and go home and tell his boss he couldn't work that day because it was making a horse run around? I don't think it was a good idea to go out yelling at the man right off the bat, and I can see why his attitude turned sour. It would have been more appropriate to calmly ask him to stop the chainsaw until you could safely put the horse in his stall where he wouldn't get hurt. I'm sure the man would have had no problem obliging to that, as oppose to somebody screaming at him for just doing his job. Not everybody is a horse person and the best defense against things like this is KNOWLEDGE. Explaining WHY the horse was upset and how easily he could have been hurt would have been much better than screaming at the guy, as much as it's what you really want to do. Sorry it had to happen and hoping Padre recovers swiftly!!"
    That was actually my quote LOL. It just astonished me that NOBODY had brought it up, not a single comment.

    I also think the reaction to his injuries was pretty over the top as well.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2007
    Location
    SE CT
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Methinks the horse owner might look into the mirror for some blame, as well...From the description, the horse owner no doubt running outside yelling and screaming probably panicked her own horse even more.

    If she had gone out, made a cutting motion across her throat, he probably would have cut the saw power. Then if she had said NICELY, "Could you wait until I put my horse into the barn? He seems to be upset by your chainsaw, thanks so much", I'm willing to bet he would have waited to start said saw back up.

    Good heavens, would I be in trouble if I flipped out over all the projects that happen here, in MY OWN YARD!! We have a wood furnace and a firewood business, so a running chainsaw, and log splitting happens all the time around here, right next to the paddocks. Add to that welding, using metal cutting torches, banging away on farm equipment, hay elevator noises, stopping and staring and popping motors (some old John Deeres here), bulldozers and excavators moving around etc., etc....Well, you get the picture. I ride right in my unfenced outdoor right next to many of these activities happening. VERY rarely have I had to ask my husband to stop working, only a few times here and there while leading a horse by, mostly for safety/space reasons.

    I've had many horses here over the years, and I tell any prospective boarders "This is a WORKING" farm, with lots of equipment and noises. If you can't deal with it, this isn't the place for you." Most stay. And the horses deal with it all just fine, even the few "spooky" types I've boarded here.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Let me add that the man with the chainsaw (if he was safety conscious at all) was probably wearing hearing protection, either ear plugs or muffs. He may have never really heard a word she said. In that light, the crazy woman in the yard next door does not register an emergency on his part.

    Earlier this year my daughter and I had to completely detour a trail ride because someone was having their trees trimmed. My daughter's horse started throwing a fit, so I know horses and chainsaws don't always mix. I never dreamed of asking the guy to stop.

    What's she going to do when a helicopter flies low overhead doing a search & rescue?

    Yeah I'm sorry the horse got hurt but I agree that her reaction is a bit over the top.



Similar Threads

  1. Spooked horse swims two miles offshore
    By INoMrEd in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May. 17, 2012, 06:17 PM
  2. Spooked horse running the fence-ideas?
    By manentail in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov. 5, 2011, 02:12 AM
  3. Spooked horse missing in Northfield NH
    By MunchkinsMom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
  4. OMG, they even used a chainsaw!
    By cnvh in forum Off Course
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Mar. 19, 2011, 06:12 AM
  5. horse spooked galloped on road
    By HoofHeartSoul in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Apr. 18, 2009, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness