The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sad Day, 2 great eventing supporters/announcers lost today.

I am greatly saddened to learn today of the passings of Dick Thompson and Jim Ligon.

Both have done a great amount for our sport and the shows they announced won't be the same without them.

Just a sad day.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Condolences to both families.

I had the honor of meeting Mr Thompson years ago when he was announcing. Our sport will miss the Thompson family's donation of money and time for so many decades.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

How sad. I didn't know Mr. Thompson, but had the pleasure of working with Jim at numerous events. He will be missed.
    My sympathy to all who knew them both.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I worked with Jim quite a lot during my tenure as organizer. He was funny, professional, and a terrific guy.

One memory stands out above all others. In 2006, at the American Eventing Championships, Jim was announcing novice cross country. USEA was sponsoring a live audio via computer and my husband, stationed in Taji Iraq at the time, was listening with his fellow soldiers to Jim's voice as our son galloped around the course. At the end of son's XC (a double clear) Jim made a point of announcing a greeting to Manny, listening halfway around the world. It was a very special moment.

I am sad to hear the news.

I adored Jim and was looking forward to seeing him at MDHT in July, if not sooner. I am going to miss him terribly.

Mr. Thompson always took time to sit and visit with me when he came to town for Red Hills. I'm the president of Upstage's unofficial fan club (and I may comprise most of the membership ) and I loved hearing how he was doing in retirement.

He will be sorely missed.

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I was so hoping this was just a rumor. Jim was my games coach in Pony CLub, and his coaching on dealing with people under pressure (let them punch jello) and being a good sport were absolutely formative.
    What's the most important thing today?
    Be good sports

What's the 2nd most important thing?
    Play well!

What's the third?
    WIN!!!!!!!

Picture 10 or 12 Pony Club kids hollering the answers at the beginning of the day and multiply that by the countless kids he coached over the years, and there's a legacy.

Please post funeral info when you have it.

Dana - We were there volunteering in 2006, and I remember the incident you described- a very special moment.
    My favorite memory of Jim was helping him in "control" at one of Morven's last true 3-Day's - had never done that before, but he was very supportive and helped me learn my job while having a blast. He was a very special part of many of our VAHT events, and will be hard to replace.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Jim was a fixture at many of CDCTA's horse trials. I enjoyed his commentary. He also was very generous with the rental use of his equipment IIRC. Very nice man and a loss to the eventing community.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

What a loss.

The eventing world sure is taking its share of hard knocks lately.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Jimmy Ligon had been hero to me since long before I met him.

Just before I started high school, in NY, a "horsey" family moved in (from maryland) just down the road, and it became teh local gathering place for all the local kids who rode. I sometimes spent more time there than I did at my own house.

The youngest brother had skin grafts on his legs from serious burns, but a young Jimmy Ligon had saved his life.

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but the parents were not home, and a leaf fire went out of control and the youngest one "caught on fire". Jimmy was the one who got help, and put out the fire on his legs.

I heard lots of great things about Jimmy and his ability to deal with a crisis- as well as his riding ability.

When I finally met him several decades later, after moving to Virginia, he fully lived up to my expectations.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default Jim

He was an incredible influence on me growing up and as a adult. He allowed me to ride his awesome horses who taught me the ropes in eventing and games. I learn my horsemanship from him and his mother. Sportsmanship always came first as did the horse. As a friend, coach and supporter you couldn't ask for anyone better. Having him announce at shows was special and u were always happy to hear him or work as a volunteer with him as "control"

There will be a memorial service for him in several weeks. I will post info. In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to the US Pony Club, Inc or Sandy Spring Friends school.

Jim- thank you for all that you did! You are truly missed.

Dick worked at Fair Hill in April. You just can't replace his voice and gifts to the sport.
    Jim also was just an incredible guy and another supporter of the sport and to lose both is just beyond words -- how will be ever replace either one? Who can do what they did?

As for Dick, what he knew, and did, there will never be another person who could have done it. He knew how to set up and time the Seiko clocks. The radios. Knew the course, the riders, the play of a cross country day and kept it all level voiced and calm over the air. I just don't think we can find another person to replace him. And the support over the years to the industry, he owned many horses for top riders and even when his wife died he kept going; when his disease took a limb, he kept going. This sport just can't have enough heros like Dick Thompson and Jim Ligon.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

This is tragic (and shocking!), though it is touching and much appreciated to hear the personal stories about these men; this will be their legacy.

I didn't know him personally, but worked with Jim Ligon when I volunteered at the MDHT. He was thoroughly professional (making this very hard job look ridiculously easy), and had a droll sense of humor. I never knew that he was so involved in Pony Club (and the games), but then again, a passion for this sport never dies, and often just "takes different forms" as you get older...

Brian O'Connor wrote a touching testimonial for both men on Facebook. They clearly shared a good deal of mutual respect, and were all highly skilled in this very demanding profession.

How is it possibly that they are both gone, and in the same week?

Brian is going to be the only announcer left with this level of experience and expertise

RIP, and Godspeed..
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Jim was an important friend to the eventing and Pony Club community, and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. If the Facebook page is public, could you post a link to it, or can someone point me to an obit or any further information? Thanks.

Grey

Enjoyed the pleasure of working with Jim for several years at MDHT. He was truly a pleasure to work with, helped me learn so much into the inner workings of eventing. Would always make a point to say hi, if I saw his black truck at other horse trials, He would always reply with a smile and not miss a beat with his control and announcing.
    I will miss him in the events to come.

What actually happened to Jim?

My dad was very sad to hear about Dick Thompson. They started a business together way back in the Radnor 3-day era. They were the timing gurus in Area II! Godspeed to Dick and Jim!
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

Dick Thompson was a great friend and supporter of the Radnor Hunt Pony Club and he will be missed.