The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldbag View Post
    They certainly don't compete here in England in affiliated dressage comps. Only in ladies hunter classes - but most women choose to ride astride, because it's better.

Surely they only compete at the lower levels over the pond?
    Someone above mentioned a rider that earned her Silver medal riding aside. That would require a number of qualifying scores at 4th and PSG, in addition to those already earned for the Bronze at Third and below.

While it is not common, it's certainly still "real" riding. I think what you meant to say, instead of "better", might be "easier".
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

oldbag, don't take your comments over to the hunting site, some of them hunt first flight over there sidesaddle

have you ever ridden sidesaddle? I takes a very balanced rider to do it, I tried it twice and would LOVE to do more, I can guarntee my balance at the canter would improve when I could no longer colapse

Jennie Loriston Clarke competed some of her dressage (olympic) horses GP side saddle (I have done to psg here/hunted/shown the hunter circuit ss as well).

That said the srs riders used to ride ss as well because it was their job to prepare horses for the ladies of the court. Podhajsky rode the chestnut horse (the one in the snaffle in his book )in Canada for a student there, I saw pictures of it in 1963 (when he came to judge the finals) since the horse was bred by my german instructor.

Generally the ss horses were only ridden in full bridles ss (for the nuance for the lady rider). If ridden ss the horses must be kept up and open in order to take a hh properly. It IS easier to sit ss, but the rider must know how to use a (stiffer) whip or one with a whip spur as well as SIT straight, esp when doing lateral work. (Imho the saddle is a little small on this horse, but the rider is quite erect and straight. However the higher hands (what happens in ss) have put the horse too lowered/closed over.) Most horses will make the conversion quite easily, but there are some rare (older) horses who just will not go ss.

Those who don't think it is real riding should try it!!!!
    I.D.E.A. yoda

They certainly don't compete here in England in affiliated dressage comps. Only in ladies hunter classes - but most women choose to ride astride, because it's better.

Surely they only compete at the lower levels over the pond?
    Grand Prix Freestyle Sidesaddle, Jean Thornton on Lipizzan stallion Conversano II Aloha II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzX3zLBleCE

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Did you like that performance?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Did you like that performance?

Paula
    They definitely had some communications problems, but considering the number of people that actually show sidesaddle at that level, I think they did pretty good.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.

I rather like this pair, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzvEAzM1Yog

Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

I liked that one much better. I'm a raw novice so I don't know enough about tests to make any kind of definitive critique. I just know that the horse was suppler and more freely moving in the second video and the rider seemed to make it appear effortless.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

I liked that. Nicely done!

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Loved those, especially the red riding habit

Paula, do you find that sidesaddle tend to promote more hand riding in general? I mean, it looks very difficult not having a leg on the other side and having to use a cane instead.

My trainer has several sidesaddles and I really want to try this some day.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    looks like"real riding" to me.

So Old Bag, do you also think none of the women who rode to the hounds in the olden days were doing 'real ridin"?
    Side-saddle is not as effective a communication tool as a rider sat in the middle with a leg at either side.

Some women still hunt side-saddle - but not the ones who do horse trials! Side-saddle makes it almost impossible to fall off. While most of them are fairly experienced riders they aren't real 'horsemen.'

Jenny L-C did side saddle quite a lot in showing classes - different to dressage over here - but grew out of it as her knowledge deepened.

If it's so great why aren't riders doing International Olympic qualifying comps like this?
    Last edited by oldbag; Jun. 8, 2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: post before I'd finished

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mare View Post
    Loved those, especially the red riding habit

Paula, do you find that sidesaddle tend to promote more hand riding in general? I mean, it looks very difficult not having a leg on the other side and having to use a cane instead.

My trainer has several sidesaddles and I really want to try this some day.

Eileen
    Sorry, Madmare, I didn't mean to be unclear. I'm a novice dressage rider, not a side saddle rider. My disclaimer is that since I'm a novice dressage rider I might be talking out of my ear

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Sorry, Madmare, I didn't mean to be unclear. I'm a novice dressage rider, not a side saddle rider. My disclaimer is that since I'm a novice dressage rider I might be talking out of my ear

Paula
    Lol! Ooops! Sorry, that question was directed to ideayoda. Her real name is Paula.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Some women still hunt side-saddle - but not the ones who do horse trials! Side-saddle makes it almost impossible to fall off. While most of them are fairly experienced riders they aren't real 'horsemen.'
    I find that to be tremendously rude and insulting, and I don't even ride sidesaddle. You better hope the hunting forum doesn't look over here!

And yes, people do even participate in Horse Trials sidesaddle. They must not be 'real horsemen' either. What is your definition of a real horseman? Riding with one leg on each side?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mare View Post
    Lol! Ooops! Sorry, that question was directed to ideayoda. Her real name is Paula.

Eileen
    LOL Okay then.

Paula

Side-saddle is not as effective a communication tool as a rider sat in the middle with a leg at either side.

If it's so great why aren't riders doing International Olympic qualifying comps like this?
    Two questions: is a rider who does both only a "horseman" when she rides astride?

Does the FEI even allow sidesaddle riders at their qualifiers?

I also think you're being incredibly insulting to riders who are doing something that requires a great deal of skill and a highly trained horse.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

Thank you for your kind words! This horse also has piaffe and passage, and we occasionally hunted first flight before his semi-retirement. I got my Silver medal on him as well. (all aside of course!)

He was ridden both aside and astride; I don't know that there was more hand riding aside. Mostly the difference is that you could really only request things using weight shifts, etc in the ss while astride you could back up your aids with a stronger leg/thigh which gave you more leverage. Perhaps this is why some of the ss rides that are seen are a little 'rough' looking. You really have to have a good partnership to be able to simply request a change or a lateral movement and trust that your horse will do it, because you have no way of 'forcing' it to happen otherwise like you can in a cross saddle. It's like riding with one leg tied behind your back!

Here's a test (4th 3) from after we got a little more refinement. You can watch my hands. (And yes, if you watch to the end, the horse is missing an eye)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0qGJ8gofU

I won't even bother replying to the ignorant, insulting, and inane on this thread.

Thank you, helent623, for sharing that lovely, inspirational ride!

I so admire your right seatbone control, because that is something I still struggle with.

Loved how happy your mount was! (I'd say that whether you were aside or astride, not as a "gee, the horse was happy despite being in a sidesaddle." In fact, I have seen over and over again how many horses go better in a sidesaddle than they have been going astride!)

THIS was going to be the year for me to finally live a dream, and do a dressAHge test aside. Welp. I did one schooling show, astride, Tr. Level tests 1-3, and while it was very worthwhile (it showed me that, despite what I thought has been correct riding in the years since I was 'into' dressage, my mare wasn't quite where I thought she'd be -- it was more like riding a wheelbarrow around! ) and it was entertaining, it just hasn't gotten my old showing juices flowing again. Maybe ONE of these days I will be into the showing scene again, enough to feel I can do a presentable test in a sidesaddle.

Coincidentally someone just posted a photo gallery of the masters, including Dorothy Baumann-Pellny riding side saddle and astride. Amazing pictures. All I can say is WOW.

http://www.artisticdressage.com/faltejsek-photos.html

Paula