The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

While this is undoubtedly best put to rest, for those of you who did not think that this would be hurtful and that it was "OK," I draw your attention to Allison's post on the Junior board at Towerheads. She has very eloquently expressed her feelings.

Michael D'Ambrosio Guest

When I wrote the response to Ms. Meagers'
    letter I started what I now realize is called a thread. For the last several days
    I've watched the thread unravel.Bitter in fighting and name calling seems to be the theme....
    I don't know who any of the writers are or what their place in the horse world is...
    but the concern for the future of the equitation division appears to be genuine.
    I am working on a report called MACLAY 2000.
    and following the completion of that article
    I am considering writing something called
    EQUITATION 2000, about the evolution of the of our sport and how it is affecting the horsemanship division.It seems to me that todays' professional trainers and judges are
    subject to critiques' from Monday morning arm chair quarter backs with mysterious screen names.I intend to give my colleagues
    a format to respond. If my letter has encouraged the Chronicle to be more sensitive
    where our youngsters are concerned,that was my intent.

I posted at about 8:50, but somehow it never made it here, or at least isn't coming up on my computer, or else it was deleted.

Here's what I said: For any of those who did not or could not acknowledge the needless hurt, I draw your attention to Allison LaJoie's post on the Towerheads BB, in the Junior section. She has written an eloquent and heartfelt reply to her critics.

Good grief...anytime someone's picture is posted in a public venu, it is subject to criticism and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't consider the article an attack on the rider, but a comment on the style of riding that so many of the top equitation riders are exhibiting. I have seen Alison ride, and you know what? she does "perch." Actually, she just sits there, because she has a wonderful horse who just needs to be pointed in the direction and he goes. No one has a perfect position....it's all about having a good eye, meeting the fences and getting the job done, in my opinion..look at Sarah Willeman, she won the AHSA Medal Final shrugging her shoulders, no heel and all!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael D'Ambrosio:
    letter I started what I now realize is called a thread.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of computer Bulletin Boards (aka the "BB") Michael. My, you did make an entrance! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    For the last several days I've watched the thread unravel. Bitter in fighting and name calling seems to be the theme....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, actually, this is pretty normal stuff and you'll find that anonymity gives you the power to be...umm, tactless might be a good word. Ignorant also might work! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. It also doesn't help that some people don't indicate their emotional intent w/ smilies or <description> when their words can be taken two or more ways. I think if you put most of us in a room we'd get along fine as long as we didn't discuss tack nosebands, ear bunnies, and no one stood up and said "I wear an unapproved helmet and I'm proud of it!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I don't know who any of the writers are or what their place in the horse world is...
    but the concern for the future of the equitation division appears to be genuine.
    ....It seems to me that todays' professional trainers and judges are subject to critiques' from Monday morning arm chair quarter backs with mysterious screen names.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In prior years, we'd've hung around the water cooler. Now we hang out here. Many of us ARE PROFESSIONAL TRAINERS AND JUDGES. We'd love the chance to contribute to your 'State of the Sport' paper. Many of us are older than your husband, (on whom I had a mild crush as a teen) and we remember the 'good ole' days' when you learned theory from your instructors, not just "it's a holding 5 to forward 6"; when we routinely jumped outside courses on the same horses we rode bareback and practiced for pairs classes, not like now when if you don't have an imported warmblood for each division: Jr Hunter (Small and Large), Eq, and Jr Jumper you can pretty much be written off!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I intend to give my colleagues
    a format to respond.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, just let us know where to send our responses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If my letter has encouraged the Chronicle to be more sensitive
    where our youngsters are concerned,that was my intent.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<kryswyn shrugs and says> I wouldn't count on it. But thanks for posting. You've made the last few days interesting. Stick around - you have a unique viewpoint that we'd love to see more of. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Kryswyn (edited 11-20-2000).]
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Some of us are NOT anonomous. I know that some of you think I have too many opinions about too many subjects but we need to speak out for what we believe in. I am open to email and am certainly not hiding behind my "mysterious" screen name. Betsy Worthington. (in case you don't already know)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael D'Ambrosio:
    letter I started what I now realize is called a thread. For the last several days
    I've watched the thread unravel.Bitter in fighting and name calling seems to be the theme....

Learn how to use a newsreader and take a trip to rec.equestrian - now that's bitter infighting and name calling. Rank amateurs over here, to be frank about it (VERY BIG EVIL GRIN, hereafter abbreviated as VBEG).

I don't know who any of the writers are or what their place in the horse world is...but the concern for the future of the equitation division appears to be genuine. I am working on a report called MACLAY 2000. and following the completion of that article I am considering writing something called EQUITATION 2000, about the evolution of the of our sport and how it is affecting the horsemanship division.

I think this is a great idea and sorely needed.

It seems to me that todays' professional trainers and judges are
    subject to critiques' from Monday morning arm chair quarter backs with mysterious screen names..

<shrug> IMO this reeks of the professional football player telling the sportswriter or fan that they can't possibly make an intelligent comment on the game because they've never played the game on a pro level. Pro football or riding ain't rocket science or brain surgery. Any observant person with a knowledge of the sport should be able to give a valid critique of a horse and/or rider.

You know, if the hardware and software developers out there had the same exclusionary attitude towards computers and the internet (and, believe me, some of them do) they wouldn't have to put up with newbies cluttering up their bandwidth with bulletin boards about horses fer cryin' out loud(VBEG). Of course, Bill Gates and company would be a heck of a lot poorer, too. <sigh>

Although I defend the letter writer's right to have her letter published I truly believe that she weakened her argument by writing what could be (and has been) perceived as an ad homminen attack on the subject. It is a shame that the young person in question has had to suffer because she was the subject of a letter that, ultimately, failed to convey what I believe was the author's reason for writing the letter.

Nina

[This message has been edited by Chrissy (edited 11-21-2000).]