The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Michael D'Ambrosio Guest

I READ WITH DISMAY THE VICIOUS ATTACK BY MS.MEAGHER UPON THE WINNER OF THE STATE LINE TACK NATIONAL CHILDREN'S MEDAL FINALS AT THE CAPITAL CHALLENGE.IT IS CLEAR THAT MS. MEAGER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE CONCEPT OF THE CHILDREN'S EQUITATION DIVISION AS A DEVELOPING
    PROGRAM-DESIGNED TO ENCOURAGE YOUNGSTERS TO ASPIRE TO THE LEVEL OF THE INDUSTRIES '

MORE FINISHED PRODUCTS
    SUCH AS JENNY JONES,SARA WYTRES,EVA GONDA
    AND CATHLEEN CALVERT WHOSE PICTURES HAPPEN TO BE IN THE SAME ISSUE.I WOULD SUGGEST THAT MS.MEAGHER TURN TO PG.48 AND SHARE WITH US HER CRITIQUE OF BILL STEINKRAUS WHO ALONG WITH HIS OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL HAS BEEN HAILED AS THE CONSUMATE AMERICAN STYLIST--PERHAPS ONE COULD SAY THAT IN THIS PHOTO HIS KNEES ARE PINCHED AND HIS LEG HAS SLIPPED BACK.I HAD THE HONOR OF BEING PART OF THE WINNING TEAM OF THE MACLAY 2000 SO I CAN SPEAK FIRST HAND WITH EXPERIENCE AND CREDIBILITY OF THE EFFORT ,DESIRE AND DEDICATION ON THE PART OF THE RIDER ,TRAINER AND PARENTS .WHAT A SHAME IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HAD AVERY DIMMIG BEEN DISCOURAGED AT A TENDER AGE BY A SIMILAR ATTACK IN A NATIONAL MAGAZINE.I SUGGEST MS.MEAGER REDIRECT HER ENERGIES TO
    WHAT,IN MY OPINION IS REPREHINSIBLE AND IS FEATURED ON PAGE 90, THE FACT THAT THE AHSA/USET TASK FORCE FINDS IT NECESSARY TO HIRE A FACILITATOR AT THE COST OF $100,000.
    TO QUELL THE BICKERING.
    I AM HOPING TO BE THE FIRST OF MANY TO RESPOND TO THIS LETTER.

MICHAEL D'AMBROSIO

Michael D'Ambrosio Guest

I READ WITH DISMAY THE VICIOUS ATTACK BY MS.MEAGHER UPON THE WINNER OF THE STATE LINE TACK NATIONAL CHILDREN'S MEDAL FINALS AT THE CAPITAL CHALLENGE.IT IS CLEAR THAT MS. MEAGER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE CONCEPT OF THE CHILDREN'S EQUITATION DIVISION AS A DEVELOPING
    PROGRAM-DESIGNED TO ENCOURAGE YOUNGSTERS TO ASPIRE TO THE LEVEL OF THE INDUSTRIES '

MORE FINISHED PRODUCTS
    SUCH AS JENNY JONES,SARA WYTRES,EVA GONDA
    AND CATHLEEN CALVERT WHOSE PICTURES HAPPEN TO BE IN THE SAME ISSUE.I WOULD SUGGEST THAT MS.MEAGHER TURN TO PG.48 AND SHARE WITH US HER CRITIQUE OF BILL STEINKRAUS WHO ALONG WITH HIS OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL HAS BEEN HAILED AS THE CONSUMATE AMERICAN STYLIST--PERHAPS ONE COULD SAY THAT IN THIS PHOTO HIS KNEES ARE PINCHED AND HIS LEG HAS SLIPPED BACK.I HAD THE HONOR OF BEING PART OF THE WINNING TEAM OF THE MACLAY 2000 SO I CAN SPEAK FIRST HAND WITH EXPERIENCE AND CREDIBILITY OF THE EFFORT ,DESIRE AND DEDICATION ON THE PART OF THE RIDER ,TRAINER AND PARENTS .WHAT A SHAME IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HAD AVERY DIMMIG BEEN DISCOURAGED AT A TENDER AGE BY A SIMILAR ATTACK IN A NATIONAL MAGAZINE.I SUGGEST MS.MEAGER REDIRECT HER ENERGIES TO
    WHAT,IN MY OPINION IS REPREHINSIBLE AND IS FEATURED ON PAGE 90, THE FACT THAT THE AHSA/USET TASK FORCE FINDS IT NECESSARY TO HIRE A FACILITATOR AT THE COST OF $100,000.
    TO QUELL THE BICKERING.
    I AM HOPING TO BE THE FIRST OF MANY TO RESPOND TO THIS LETTER.

MICHAEL D'AMBROSIO

I absolutely agree! However, there is another outrage as well. Clearly, there was NO NEED OR OBLIGATION for the Chronicle to PRINT such a mean-spirited and ill-conceived letter. Shame on them as well.

You may need to give a little more information for those who may not subscribe to whatever magazine it is that you are referring to. I haven't gotten my COTH, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. However, I must say, to be fair, that I think everyone has a right to express their opinion and the "look" of riding (equitation) is really just a fad which comes and goes. What was acceptable 30 years ago is hardly favored now. In the end, does it really matter? ONLY if the form effects the function, IMO.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I agree with Michael - reading this letter last night made me feel for the youngster who was being identified as exemplifying what is "wrong" with today's teaching.

The topic of what is the best - most effective - style, and whether it is identical to the style that is "in" is certainly a worthwhile topic - but didn't, IMHO, need to be raised in this fashion. I do think it was thoughtless of the letter writer, and perhaps the Chronicle could have gently asked if she would consider rephrasing her letter, to get the point across without harm to a child.

I've seen lots of photos in the Chronicle that are significantly less than models of perfection - or even something that I can identify that I would aspire to emulate. I have wondered about it. Maybe it is just the rider's position at that instant in time, but I think we've all read columns lamenting the disappearance in the show ring of the "classic" American style.

If we really believe that the classic style is worth retaining, how can we do it?

(Gee - that's the only photo I've even seen of Steinkraus where his leg isn't perfect - makes me feel that there is hope for me!)

PS - Michael, you are new here - Uppercase signifies yelling. It actually becomes hard on the eyes!!

PPS - regards to Carmen and Bill.

In general, the Chronicle publishes any letter that meets its guidelines -- i.e., refers to a previously published article or letter, is timely, and is signed with a full name and address. Letters are edited for length and clarity, but otherwise... if that's someone's opinion, we generally print it.

If you disagree, by all means, write another letter. That's what the Letters to the Editor column is there for. It doesn't do much good for the Chronicle only to publish the opinions they think are "right."

I haven't seen this particular letter yet, but in general, that's the Chronicle's policy.

See http://www.chronofhorse.com/submissions.html for our Letters to the Editor policy, and instructions on how to submit a letter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael D'Ambrosio:
    I READ WITH DISMAY THE VICIOUS ATTACK BY MS.MEAGHER UPON THE WINNER OF THE STATE LINE TACK NATIONAL CHILDREN'S MEDAL FINALS AT THE CAPITAL CHALLENGE.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thank you, michael, for starting this thread. I can't imagine what that woman was thinking when she sent that letter to the COTH! I fell sorry for Ms Meagher. She must be a terribly frustrated individual.

Perhaps she might be kind enough to send us some photos of herself equitating in her latest National Championship win, so we could complete the critical process for her!!!

What's worse than publicly throwing stones at children (as if that's not enough to be ashamed of), is this currently popular mindset that winners have to pay for that distinction by becoming public targets for any and all criticism: of their performance (apparently now photo frame by photo frame), of the judges' performances, of the qualifying process (i.e. she bought her way in), or of their trainers' status (i.e. she only won because her trainer is important, knows the judge, bought a horse from the judge).

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, you stewards who lurk/post, but slamming the judges' competency a la "rewarding this perversion... is reprehensible", "judges need to have some guts", and "throw them all out... and tell them to try again next year" if said publicly at a horse show would warrant a sanction by the show steward and a nice little write-up in the back of AHSA magazine.

If someone has a legitimate complaint about a classes' results, shouldn't they approach the steward and lodge a formal complaint? Isn't following the rules for criticism of judges part of the concept of "Sportsmanship"? Didn't they used to give awards for sportsmanship???

I hope whatever drove Kimberley Meagher to this attack on the StateLine winner and the judges goes away so she can rejoin us all here on planet earth.

Teri

PS to Mr Alan Balch: Perhaps now is a good time to run an article in AHSA magazine regarding appropriate treatment of Judges, and how to lodge a complaint. It seems like people have forgotten that there are rules to be followed!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pwynnnorman:
    You may need to give a little more information for those who may not subscribe to whatever magazine it is that you are referring to. I haven't gotten my COTH, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It is a letter to the editor in the newest (Nov 10) Chronicle. For some reason the on-line copy of letters to the editor has not been updated. The letter starts off "Please understand ... that I am not attacking Alison LaJoic or any other children who have had a similar riding style rewarded." She is really trying to slam the TRAINERS, not the kids.

But I agree that, if I were the child mentioned by name, I would find it hard NOT to take it personally.

As someone who, many years ago and under different management, had a Chronicle "letter to the editor" rejected, and was told, through a third party that it was considered a "crank letter" (it wasn't), I VERY MUCH SUPPORT the Chronicle's current policy on letters to the editor, even if it results in some hurt feelings. (Sorry for the long sentence.)

Glad to see a poster from Mt. Kisco, where I grew up.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion that Horse Show reprint the course to follow when disagreeing with results, Keri, but what you refer to as the "current popular mindset" may have another interpretation: poor morale due to too many APPEARANCES of impropriety. Whether those problems actually exist is an entirely different matter, of course, but the fact remains that a great many participants in the sport BELIEVE that they do. If you want the littany of the "current popular mindset" to go away, then perhaps you should support efforts to drag horse sports out of the dark ages by opening up the judging system by standardizing and publicizing expectations.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Maybe someone could post the letter since it is not on the Internet yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    Maybe someone could post the letter since it is not on the Internet yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great...I also agree...photos don't give the whole picture..who says the judge only looks at that ONE POINT OVER THE JUMP!! Isn't it the WHOLE course and how you ride it?? Evryone has their own style and I know I have seen som HORRIBLE pictures of myself jumping..but that's not how I look all the time..we all have "not so good" jumps!!

THESE KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE IN RIDING and NEED ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT THEY CAN GET SO THEY CAN GET BETTER, not bashing their equitation over a STILL PHOTO which has no expression!!!!

[This message has been edited by barb (edited 11-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    Maybe someone could post the letter since it is not on the Internet yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've asked the Chronicle's new webmaster (be patient with her, she's still learning) to post this week's letters. I guess that file got left out of the batch of stuff for the web this week.

We'll get it online soon, but if someone has time to kill and wants to type it in in the meantime, go for it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goodmudder:
    I absolutely agree! However, there is another outrage as well. Clearly, there was NO NEED OR OBLIGATION for the Chronicle to PRINT such a mean-spirited and ill-conceived letter. Shame on them as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Goodmudder, that is called journalism -- to print a letter to the editor that is in keeping with its policies which are clearly laid out for all to read.

I realize that many publications, especially online ones, do not have the same high standards of professional journalism as the COTH does.

There IS a clear obligation of the COTH to print the letter, and further, an obligation not to bias the letter in any way.

We should all be glad that the COTH recognizes, practices, and promotes unbiased and objective journalism -- and we should support that here on the BB as well. Thank you, Erin, for holding to that very high standard.
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

I still don't understand why Mrs. Meager chose a letters to the editors forum in which to air what sounds like a cranky, argumentative beef. If she has a problem with the system should she not be airing her concerns with the AHSA rather than taking it out on the CMF at the CC??

Michael I don't blame you for being upset by this. Regards to Anthony.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 11-14-2000).]

I too was struck by the hostility in the letter when I read it yesterday in my Chronicle. To name names like that, when children are involved, is unkind and unnecessary. But I also remember that what the writer was criticizing -- and why the letter was probably printed -- was the CAPTION written by Chronicle staff stating that the position in the picture was "classic." While the letter comes out as an indictment of the child, I think what it was meant to be was an indictment of COTH's characterization of her style. IMHO.

We all sit around condemning and blaming when it is actually our fault. We all saw this coming we all have many times discussed the lack of consistency in the standards of judging.

The critic put in print what most likely a lot of others think! It's the total result of
    permissively allowing there to be no objective standards. Without vaild and consistent standards this will always be a leaky roof, backyard brawling sport.

The child is not guilty, the judge is not guilty, the Chronicle is not guilty of anything. We as the 98% of the members who participate in this sport are the delinquent members who have permitted this child to be criticized at her most victorious moment. We are responsible by not taking a stand and letting the Licensed Officials Committee know that our perception of judging standards, the judge was not guilty the judge followed approved means.

Enough of the name calling and blaming and complaining. We have proposed a Rule Change for changing Judging Standards. Has anyone read it? It's posted on the AHSA site. Has anyone attempted to discuss the details of what and how these changes should occur? Have any of you "name callers" and complainers blaming everyone but yourselves given any five minutes of thought to the problem and how to solve it up until this very moment.

Will any of you be in Colorado at the Convention to express your ideas to the AHSA and it's Committees? Will you help those very few of us who are trying to make a difference and support change?

We have not dogmatically proposed rules carved in stone, we have however tried to open the dialog before it is too late. No child should be disparaged for what THEYare not responsible. No judge deserves to be abused by any exhibitor. No exhibitor should ever have to feel such a separation from the system that cannot be heard in any other way than in an inflamatory protest letter to the Editor.

We have made a start, will you join us in a constructive discussion of how to fix it? Check out the website, totally neutral territory belonging to the Members of the AHSA involved in the hunter jumper discipline.
    http://www.hunterjumper.org

Call me a whiner, but I really hate being yelled at. I doubt whoever did whatever is even listening, so press your cap lock release key and stop shouting.

Michael D'Ambrosio Guest

As this is the first time I have written in
    online, I was unaware that writing in caps is considered yelling,I stand corrected.
    My point remains the same-to single out a thirteen year old rider and hold her winning performance up in a national magazine as'' an absolute perversion of the classic hunter style ''is unnecessarily brutal and somewhat foolish.I feel it would be far more realistic to critique the job that our trainers and judges are doing by examining the mature and more finished riders that our system has produced and that the judges consistently reward. There is ,in our sport,as in any other, an elite group at the top----please don't try to convice me that this group has any less potential than any of the former equitation champions that have come through the American system.

I must agree that regardless of whether the point being made was valid or not, using a young lady who had just won a significant victory as an example was a poor way to get that point across.

Well, Erin , here we go again: Could you or someone else clarify for me whether the Chronicle's letter policy includes an OBLIGATION on the part of the magazine to print each and every letter that meets those criteria? Where does judgment and discretion enter the picture? Or common sense?