The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

OK - I know there are several of us out there with Native American Warmbloods. We know they are a lot tougher than the normal TB....stronger, bigger bones, and mature quicker.

Question - is it OK to start jumping my baby over 1' little x-rails???

What about the 3 year old division? Is 2'6" too high to jump a 3 yr old NAW?

OK - I know there are several of us out there with Native American Warmbloods. We know they are a lot tougher than the normal TB....stronger, bigger bones, and mature quicker.

Question - is it OK to start jumping my baby over 1' little x-rails???

What about the 3 year old division? Is 2'6" too high to jump a 3 yr old NAW?

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Colin are you getting antsy???? haha

I wish I could help you, our Native American Warmblood, Poncho, is 17 years old, and just started jumping last year, hehe.

Hey, Moose....the question wasn't meant to be that complicated - i.e., a simple two sentence answer would have been just fine.....

Although I realize the "details" were meant in good faith, we're talking about the NAW here....

Did the indians wait for their horses to be 6 years old before they started chasing buffalo on them?

I don't think so......

Is jumping a 1' cross rail really "jumping" (i.e., requiring athletic ability).... I don't think so.

Hummmm....just some thoughts!

I think a 3 year old NAW can jump 2'6" just fine. Think about all the rock breaks, trees, dead soldiers and camp fires they had to jump (over/through). Your 3 year old NAW may laugh at a brush box or fake rock wall!!

[This message has been edited by VTrider (edited 11-22-2000).]

Only you would have a Native American "Warblood," Colin.

Hey, Iverness....my NAW is really quite FANCY! He's coming 3 in January, is already 15.3 1/2 H, is mahogany bay with a token white patch on each side of his belly.

The most darling head you've ever seen - a really good mover - and looks like a TB (beautiful neck) except has big bones on his legs like a QH. Vet says his knees are closed and OK to jump small stuff.

My NAW is a product of back yard Utah breeding!

Stallion: Black and white tobiano paint. Very well bred - About 15.1h, and very "cowy"

Mare: Bay Appendix QH. Generic - about 15.1h

Somehow, my NAW got most of his genes from his mother's TB lines....which is just fine with me!

Best of both worlds....TB FANCY look; QH SANE mind!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Ok, I'm bored... I'm really not trying to start a flame war, but what on earth? I have never heard of an NAW. Is this some kind of "we gotta have the WB in the name in order to 'be somebody'" movement? For example, I knew someone with a nice (not great, but nice) Swedish WB cross mare (the dam was pretty much of unknown origin except that they thought she was at least PART QH), but they simply HAD to register and show her as an American WB. Why can't a horse be called exactly what it is... in this case a QH/Paint cross.

And to answer your question, NO! Just because something was done way back when doesn't mean it was the right thing to do! We used to put kids to work in factories when they were 10 too. I'm not as conservative as the article posted above, but I still wouldn't do any jumping (let alone 2'6") until 4... period.

[This message has been edited by training level eventer (edited 11-22-2000).]
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moose:
    Yo colin,

I've started horses at two so I ain't innocent, you just happened to post at the same time I received a "lengthy" e-mail on the subject, pointing out NAW's, if you mean quarter horses, as being one of the biggest victims.

Just food for thought to clog up your thread!!

I didn't join in on your tack nose band thread so what the heck....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo Moose - the NAW isn't just a QH.....it's an indian pony....(aka mutt; paint; pinto; whatever)..heheheh!

The Tack noseband thread was one of my best accomplishments - it made history! I can't believe you didn't join in! To be a part of such a controversial topic...wow!!!!

I will never forget...that thread is where DevilDog and I bonded! Where Erin almost had a heart attack.....

TLE, I think Colin is being her usual tongue-in-cheek self with the "Native American Warmblood" designation. At least, I sure hope so! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Hey there, Training Level Eventer -- I can't believe you haven't heard of the Native American Warmblood Association! It's getting BIG!!!!

While I appreciate your 4 year old theory, I don't believe it....I mean, I won the VHSA Adult Medal Finals on a 4 yr old OTTB.....that I started as a 3 yr old....that is about 10-11 now, and still going strong, no problems. And that was a TB - not a NAW...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
    TLE, I think Colin is being her usual tongue-in-cheek self with the "Native American Warmblood" designation. At least, I sure hope so! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Portia - don't you remember the NAW thread? A bunch of us formed the NAWA - Native American Warmblood Association.

We've had lots of fun with it, and even have a LOGO/Emblem!

[This message has been edited by Colin (edited 11-22-2000).]

I worked darn hard on that logo too!!! Where is AHC...she has a damn nice NAW!!

Moose, that was fascinating, educational reading. Thank you for sharing - and thank your friend for sharing her knowledge in such understandable terminology. I plan to pass this on to everyone I know who has horses. It provides a tremendous amount of brain- fodder.
    I (and many others, I dare presume) have always known it was foolish and detrimental to expect babies to perform as adults (both in human and equine worlds) - but it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Colin, I think you need to post a disclaimer at the bottom of every post you make. Something along the lines of:

WARNING! Don't believe anything I say, and take none of this seriously!

I can just imagine all sorts of confused people wandering around wondering what a NAW is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And yes, as Devildog so eloquently stated on another thread, I think the chain noseband thread took 25 years off my life!

Did I delete chain nosebands? Or is it still out there? Quite entertaining reading, for those who missed it the first time around. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
    Only you would have a Native American "Warblood," Colin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the exact same thing....

My eyes are still glazing over from trying to read that previous lengthy, desperately in need of some paragraphs, post!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

For any of you that actually READ and UNDERSTOOD Moose's post on fusing growth plates, note that the back and hocks are 2 areas where growth plates fuse VERY LATE in the horse's life, like 5 years old. Who cares if the knees are closed! Horses are on legends, adequan, Flexwhatever because of BACK AND HOCK problems. Hellllloooo! Maybe you should wait until the horse is 5 before jumping.

No waiting, Flash....no time!!!! Have to win the Utah Year End Award!!!!

Will play lightly over small jumps as a 3 year old...but as a 4 year old, he will be doing some 3'!!!

Someone has to support the Adequon/Legend economy, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:
    Did I delete chain nosebands? Or is it still out there? Quite entertaining reading, for those who missed it the first time around. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you killed my work of art, Erin....the shame!!! The infamous chain noseband thread is out in cyberspace, along with VA Trainer and the others. Soooo sad!

Okay, okay settle down everyone... Yes, we've started the Native American Warmblood Association. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] We have a logo (thanks VTRider), and I am proud to say that my lovely pinto QH/TB mare is #1 in the NAW registry!!!!!!

The tougher, stronger NAW's play by their own rules -- rules that are made by the Founding Board of Governors. That would be Colin, VTRider and me!!!!!!

Typical of the NAW, Colin's pony is learning and maturing quickly, therefore, according to the NAW bylaws, it would be fine to start playing around over a few small jumps. As far as the 2'6" division for next year, if he takes to jumping the way my NAW did, he might be ready to get out there a few times!!!!!

Colin, VT, I think we may have to start a NAW website soon so the others can see our very special ponies..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]