The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default boarding stables in the charleston area

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a place to board my 8 yo OTTB starting in August and was wondering if the COTH forums could provide some suggestions. My biggest requirements are that you are allowed to ride with your own trainer and that there is a lot of turnout (7-8 hours a day or pasture board). My price range is around $450 a month. He is a prospect eventer, however the discipline of the farm isn't as important to me as the quality of care. I will be attending my sophomore year at College of Charleston so I'm looking for barns 30 or so minutes from the downtown area.

I have a few places in mind but I was hoping to get some direction from other people's personal experience for knowledgeable, trustworthy barn owners! Thanks so much!

Have you tried contacting CofC's equestrian team? Maybe some of them could provide you with good referrals.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

You will be hard pressed to find anything for 450 in the Charleston area. Land is is ridiculously expensive there, driving boarding costs through the roof. However, PM Stono Ferry on here, she knows everyone!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

We absolutely loved Black Bottom Stables in Ladson. The owners are super nice and so are the ladies in the tack shop. Our instructor, Cheryl, was awesome, but I'm not sure if she does what you're looking for. I also don't know about bringing in your own trainer as we used Cheryl.

Board is $450 per month, but they stay pretty full.

Their contact info is:
    9325 Black Bottom Road Ladson, SC 29456
    (843) 553-0053

You can also check Medicine Wind in Summerville. I've heard they're really good.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdice4 View Post
    We absolutely loved Black Bottom Stables in Ladson. The owners are super nice and so are the ladies in the tack shop. Our instructor, Cheryl, was awesome, but I'm not sure if she does what you're looking for. I also don't know about bringing in your own trainer as we used Cheryl.

Board is $450 per month, but they stay pretty full.

Their contact info is:
    9325 Black Bottom Road Ladson, SC 29456
    (843) 553-0053
    We stop at their tack store when we're in Charleston/ Summerville. (plus stop at Recycled Cowboy) that looks like a really nice place to board, and they have some trails too.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Bumping this up... has anyone heard anything about One Tempi Farm? Looks really nice...

I'm at One Tempi. Feel free to PM me. I know we're full right now, but she does keep a waiting list.

I have several college students boarding here. You will want to stay on the West Ashley sude if town. So look on Johns Island, Wadmalaw, Hollywood area. Try Kiawah Stables, Stono River, all on Johns Island. They are the closest to downtown for you.

Look on Lowcountryhorse.com for phone numbers. Good Luck and have fun at CofC

Full Circle Farm
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I don't know this barn or their location, but here's a listing i stumbled upon on CL today. Their pasture board is $410 and they allow outside trainers, vets, farriers.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/grd/3091449678.html

In case the listing isn't there, it's for whistle stop Stables.

Eta - the listing says vacancies for full board which is above your price range. Maybe they have field board available too?
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Actually I know Whistle Stop. I would keep my horse there!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by In the Air View Post
    I have several college students boarding here. You will want to stay on the West Ashley sude if town. So look on Johns Island, Wadmalaw, Hollywood area. Try Kiawah Stables, Stono River, all on Johns Island. They are the closest to downtown for you.

Look on Lowcountryhorse.com for phone numbers. Good Luck and have fun at CofC

Full Circle Farm
    I had no idea that (your) farm was now a h/j barn. I used to go there years ago for dressage lessons with a clinician when I was still in PC. Also I'm not positive if it's the same Eliza, but I'm pretty sure she used to have a super cute pony named Dinky who she brought to my trainers xc camp one year to see how she liked it (again many years ago lol).