The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

So I guess neither of you want to take the time to talk to the moderators directly... you'd rather take public swipes on various threads throughout the BB. Fine and dandy. Let's just hash it all out right here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstarr:
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Another hall-of-famer for mutual respect:

link

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not moderated on a case-by-case basis... moderated as best can be done when all of the moderators are at their REAL JOBS 9-5. The thread blew up in a huge mess, the worst of it was deleted, and it was closed because it was FULL of crap that was totally uncalled for and should never have been posted. From BOTH "sides."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miniwelsh:

Yes, I think all who disagree with you and your opinions should also be banned. Because this is all so horse-related that there should be 19 threads and auctions supporting it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one gets banned for their opinions. They do, however, get banned for acting like idiots and repeatedly violating BB rules. Case in point: Colin. Buh-bye.

These threads are not being locked because they're offering differing opinions. They're being locked because they're NASTY. From both sides.

However, the point remains that the decision has been made. The Aiden/auction threads will be kept to a minimum. But they will not be removed entirely. Continuing to harp on it is not going to change that.

BB content is never going to be perfect for everyone. See my post at the end of the thread rockstarr quoted above.... for every kind of topic, there are people who love them AND hate them.

Either you ignore the stuff you don't like and read the stuff you do, or you don't read at all.

[This message was edited by Erin on Dec. 04, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Dec. 04, 2002 at 03:55 PM.]

So I guess neither of you want to take the time to talk to the moderators directly... you'd rather take public swipes on various threads throughout the BB. Fine and dandy. Let's just hash it all out right here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstarr:
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Another hall-of-famer for mutual respect:

link

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not moderated on a case-by-case basis... moderated as best can be done when all of the moderators are at their REAL JOBS 9-5. The thread blew up in a huge mess, the worst of it was deleted, and it was closed because it was FULL of crap that was totally uncalled for and should never have been posted. From BOTH "sides."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miniwelsh:

Yes, I think all who disagree with you and your opinions should also be banned. Because this is all so horse-related that there should be 19 threads and auctions supporting it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one gets banned for their opinions. They do, however, get banned for acting like idiots and repeatedly violating BB rules. Case in point: Colin. Buh-bye.

These threads are not being locked because they're offering differing opinions. They're being locked because they're NASTY. From both sides.

However, the point remains that the decision has been made. The Aiden/auction threads will be kept to a minimum. But they will not be removed entirely. Continuing to harp on it is not going to change that.

BB content is never going to be perfect for everyone. See my post at the end of the thread rockstarr quoted above.... for every kind of topic, there are people who love them AND hate them.

Either you ignore the stuff you don't like and read the stuff you do, or you don't read at all.

[This message was edited by Erin on Dec. 04, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Dec. 04, 2002 at 03:55 PM.]

Wow. This just gets better and better.

So let me get this straight, Emma's thread gets locked because basically you don't agree with it, you tell people to take things to e-mail and then you post this to Rockstarr and I? I love it.

*Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And don't hate nobody." -Eubie Blake*

I never emailed you because judging by your posts, you devote quite a chunk of your time to fundraising for Aiden. I don't consider you to be unbiased.

Go ahead. Ban me.

that rockstarrs link is to a thread about Latvian drummels from the Canadian invasion that is a parody of other recent contentious threads on what should and should not be on the boards and is NOT locked. (at least that's what I get when I click on it)

I don't know if it's a mistake or what but oh, the irony...

It's not a mistake that I listed the thread.

In my opinion, it is a mistake that it was allowed to openly mock Colin, whom I don't even know if anyone suspects some bizarro consipracy. Still open if anyone wants to bump it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a few nasty posts FROM BOTH SIDES on the monster Aiden thread. Funny, that remains unlocked. And what rule did Colin break?

Erin, you will go on and on for hours with your rolling eyes and political opinions if it suits you. The minute anyone complains you tell them not to let the door hit them. That's probably why people don't bother to e-mail you with complaints anymore. For a moderator, you are both amazingly unbiased and ready for a fight. Then if you don't like how things are going - you lock them up. Pretty amusing if you ask me.

*Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And don't hate nobody." -Eubie Blake*

You are correct, Maggie May. I'm not sure what rockstarr's point was in linking to it and attempting to use it as an example of favoritism, since it was clearly a humourous thread done in a spirit of fun and does not contain any personal attacks.

Perhaps she meant to again object to any off topic threads? I will agree, it is off topic, but was also clearly part of our annual tradition of the Thanksgiving Day Canadian Invasion, the vast majority of which threads were locked the day after Thanksgiving. If this one wasn't locked, it was because it had already died a natural death.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Nope, again, it was not a mistake. Heidi made her opinion very well known of Colin. She then starts a thread that is blatent in ridiculing Colin and the entire Baby Aiden mess.

It is extremely apparent who is being ridiculed. Thread remains unlocked, true to form.

Miniwelsh, Erin can certainly answer for herself, but I will tell you that I asked today that Colin be banned, permanently.

What rules did she break? She has broken very many over the time she has been posting here, including once calling the moderators by foul names. That got her banned temporarily, then she was allowed to return eventually. However, she was allowed to return with the explicit agreement that she show common respect and civility to her fellow posters.

Her posts today on both the thread that Emma started, in which she made misrepresentations, and in the Aiden update thread (BARF and a size limit on livers, among others) showed a clear disrespect for fellow posters, and an intent to try to make her point regardless of civility or the feelings of others.

That is why I want her banned.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

There are six moderators. If you have a personal problem with one, email one of the other five.

Original Poster

Miniwelsh, you're missing the point.

The threads aren't locked because we or I disagree with them. They're locked for two reasons: 1. They're pointless, as we've already said what will and won't be allowed. 2. They're like TH threads, spiraling out of control into nastiness, no matter what a moderator does to try to stop it.

Threads that don't get nice get locked. If the monster Aiden thread becomes nasty, I'll close it. But I kind of doubt that will happen.

Oops, my mistake, I thought rockstarr's thread was Colin's "what happened to the BB thread." Ditto what Portia said regarding the Canadian invasion tradition.

The BB is what it is, guys. Supply and demand. Topics stay on top because people like them. People are participating in the auction because they want to. The reason it's as big as it is is because after a BBer came up with the idea, people liked it and participated. None of it was my idea or any other moderator's idea.

You're welcome to offer opinions if you do so respectfully and constructively. Sniping on threads you don't like doesn't fall into either of those categories.

Who needs the soaps on TV? This is fabulous real-life drama! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

I emailed you.

*EMMA*

What misrepresentations were presented on the Emma thread? I personally saw Erin's e-mail to certain BB'ers and was appalled. Someone representing the Chronicle should never ever be allowed to react that way, regardless of their personal emotions or feelings.

If someone chooses to post their personal life on a public bb, they should expect to have people who have varying opinions or interest, that's life. There were some lovely comments made to Colin on the monster thread that managed to avoid being locked.

You all are completely blind if you don't see Rockstarr's point.

And J-Lo has taken her bling bling elsewhere, way to go.

Original Poster

It is extremely apparent who is being ridiculed. Thread remains unlocked, true to form.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are Heidi's threads ridiculing Jair. And Heidi's threads ridiculing lots of other people.

Heidi is certainly entitled to her opinion of Colin and her antics on the BB. Had the thread spiraled into an out-of-control pro-Colin vs anti-Colin brouhaha, it would have been closed. It didn't. So it's open.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miniwelsh:
    You all are completely blind if you don't see Rockstarr's point.

Which is?

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

There is a very easily defined difference between Heidi and Colin. Heidi is clever, witty, highly intelligent and her jabs are in fun.

Colin, on the other hand, shows a frightening lack of compassion, intellect, diplomacy and grace. Her attacks are vicious and quite simply not acceptable to the VAST MAJORITY on these boards. I for one do not ever wish to see her name.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Churchill~
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had the thread spiraled into an out-of-control pro-Colin vs anti-Colin brouhaha, it would have been closed. It didn't. So it's open.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you're right, no one said anything nice about Colin so it got to stay open.

Jair isn't even real for God's sakes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Um, but, I still don't understand why the thread commenting on someone disagreeing with all the Aiden topics was closed. It wasn't nasty--unless that's the way you took it.

I think people were just expressing an opinion that was considered unpopular by one segement and it was backed up by the moderators. At least that's how it appears.

Erin, maybe you should have let it just run its course.

Hey, then again it's me, Velvet, the Ultimate DQ, making a suggestion. That's certain death for this thread or else certain deletion for my reply. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(I agree, Gambit. It's entertaining when you aren't the one emotionally involved in the topic, isn't it?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"