The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jeff Cook Clinic -Advice?

I am riding in my first clinic with Jeff Cook later on this month. I have not had the opportunity to audit one of his clinics before, and I would love to hear any personal experiences you have had with him. Any advice for me, things I should know, tips on what he likes (I know he trained with George, so great turnout is a must), and exercises or information I should be prepared to perform or cover in the clinic. I am very excited, but also nervous, so I am hoping the more info I have the more comfortable I will be going in!

He is awesome, you will have fun and learn a lot! Make sure you have a whip and spurs, no loop on the whip. He likes conventional metal stirrups, he believes they help you to develop a better leg. He doesn't like bling of any sort. Trim the ends of your stirrup leathers and spur straps, too. He will do lots of flatwork the first day, be sure you know what a reverse turn is.

He is a very nice guy and explains things very well. He knows how to set horses and riders up to be successful!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Have fun! He's really nice, especially to the pony kids.

He is great to work with. Think GM, but kinder and gentler. The last time I worked with him, I got to assist him in the ring. It was fabulous, and really made me better on the ground (I was teaching at the time). I was able to take a lot of the more challenging exercises and break them down into pieces for my beginners.
    Be prepared to work without your stirrups, obviously, but also, unless it is a boiling hot day, don't expect to get water breaks unless you have a medical condition. Be willing to at least try every exercise.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

He is fab! You will have a ton of fun and learn a lot. There have been several threads asking about his clinics, so do a search and you'll find lots of good info. Where is your clinic?

You'll have such a good time! Jeff, to me, is the pinnacle of good instruction. Every time I ride with him, I have things to work on for months afterward. He'll challenge you, but in a good way. He is kind, very supportive, and will help you work through a mistake, so don't be nervous. As you guessed, Jeff's a stickler about turnout, and will call you out if your boots aren't shiny, so make sure they get a good polish!

My favorite Jeff Cook clinic moment:

"He's not listening to your leg. Hit him with your crop."

*I tap sensitive TB with crop*

"No. That's a tap. HIT him."

*Tap horse with crop*

"HIT him!!!"

Hit horse, he bucks, sends me flying into indoor arena wall, I see stars and sit out rest of clinic.

I still think he's great.

Love him He's done a clinic at our barn for 3 years in a row now!

He does not do a ton of no stirrups. In fact, I rode with him a year ago, and we didn't do ANY. Sitting trot, serpentine loops yes. Also worked a little on shoulder-in.

He will comment on gimmick stirrups, the black wrap around sure grip stirrup pads, a badly adjusted martingale, plastic ball spurs, and spur strap buckles adjusted exactly to the middle of the foot; he prefers them adjusted to the outside of the boot.

Here is a short video of me and my horse in our session; highlights the jumping stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_b_yxf8P_A

Jeff Cook sounds like a fun and educational time! I wonder why though that people always ask what to expect a clinics and some of the answers are you need to know this or that. Isn't the purpose of a clinic is to learn from that person?

Well, I think it always helps to be better prepared! What's the harm in asking info about previous clinics? I like the part about the crop, ball spurs, reverse turn and the buckle on the outside of your boots not in the middle for your spurs! Hmmmm my buckle is dead center! I used to have the buckle on the outside, but just got new straps and I really like the look much better in the middle. Why not in the middle?