The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

You do just fine, Erin! Jair is an equal opportunity critic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and never holds a grudge. So go ahead and disagree with him, he won't mind a bit! Right, Jari?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Who feels old?

I rode with Barney and worked for him for a couple of years.

The first winter I rode with Barney (at Shannon Stables, pre-Castle hill, even) was the winter that McLain learned to post! Now who feels old?

Keep writing on the board McLain!

Marie

Just got on and read this post last night and decided that since I am probably the oldest professional on the BB I would put in my two cents.
    I started with the Tennessee Walking Horses in the 50's and saw it all, but didn't realize until I was 12 and went to the barn to take my friends to see the pony I was riding the really cruel stuff. He was standing (before that night's competition) with both front feet in a bucket of dry ice and the frogs were bleeding and gone. I threw such a tantrum (1955) about not riding again that ended up being my last night of showing. I then went on to Hunters/Jumpers/Pony Club and have probably seen it all - including hot poling in the middle of the night at the Armory with the hot pole wire hooked to the cigarette lighter to "tune" the horses over a jump.
    The point I am trying to make is that the system is no different today than it was 50 years ago, only much bigger with many more owners, trainers, etc. and with much more communication and networking. The goal has always been to win at whatever cost in many instances.
    I would much rather have my horses with a noted grand prix rider like McLain Ward than a bunch of the hunter trainers who get on to "tune" with long spurs and heavy hands and gallop up to everything until the horses and yes, ponies too will just jump at everything. This is far more abusive to my mind to the horse than a bamboo pole or some hot stuff on a leg. (Shave the hair on the lower leg with a surgical blade, put some Sloane's liniment on and watch them not want to hit anything.)
    Yes, McLain, I have watched you since you were a kid and your horses go happy and love their job and you have "finesse" first. I know what it means to ride a happy, free-moving horse that loves its job down to a big fence and I would much rather be on one like that. All athletes take something to take the edge off the aches. Without Aleve and Chondroitin/Glucosamine, I would have never ridden again because of busted knees. It does not mask the pain, it just allows more mobility of movement.
    For those of you who have taken the time to judge, I hope that you will always remember what my mother told me as a young person and that was "don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes down their path."

Your post just sums up why I went to Eventing. Whatever happened to if the horse has the Heart and talent, he wont touch the jumps, Geeze! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Wow, wileycoyote, some people go to such trouble! My trainer just kicks my horse in the leg a few times before we go into the ring to get him to pick his feet up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I don't go back quite as far as you do, but comming thru the ranks in the 60-70"s, I also have first hand knowledge of those practices. It scares me think that when I was young I thought that was how to train horses!!! Luckily in my teens I went on to much better places & learned another way.. But like it's been stated here those "quik-fixes" don't last at the upper levels quality of training,caring & breeding will always shine through. But I'm afraid, in the real world, there will always be someone looking for short-cuts<LI>PS ..this is a good thread,,I like that so many are participating ( go us!!) welcome Mclain

okay forget this "controversy", I have a question for McLain. I have an opportunity to get an opinion from somone who has seen it all...

If there is one thing you could change in the horse world, what would it be? (ie-polotics, costs, horses, people, drugs, water jumps... whatever!)

I am very curious what your opinion is. Thanks!

~~Lisa~~

Quote: "don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes down their path."

Thank you for saying that, wileycoyote! This thread has gotten kind of crazy, though it's certainly been interesting to read. I can't say I've always been a huge MW supporter, but there are times in your life when you realize you really need to grow up. I've decided my entire 17th year was one of those times [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Now that I've turned 18 and had some harsh encounters with reality, I feel the need to apologize. (I sure do seem to spend a lot of time apologizing on this board...)

Anyway, I have no idea what really happened with anything, and was wrong to judge based on biased articles in magazines. Having grown up in Chicago and living through all the horse related legal stuff there (I rode at the barns of both Eunice Bailey AND Frank Jayne Jr.) it was just easier to believe the negative stuff. Some awful things have happened in the horse world, but it's time to forget about them and move on. McLain, I've always greatly admired your riding, and I truly hope you're as honest and open-minded as you've appeared on this board. Thanks for posting and arguing with a bunch of kids and amateurs.

Later [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Chris

Hey, Mclain! Thanks for coming around! Since Checkers doesn't want to come, can I? Please?

I do have to admit, it's been about 6 years since I've been over anything over 3'6". I too would like to know what's going through your head when you go over the Puissance...or going through a REALLY big, tight combination? Inquiring minds want to know!
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

The more I read of ErinB's posts the more I admire her. I've had to bite my tongue on some of these posts. It's great to have a differing opinion, but PLEASE know what you are talking about before posting.

BTW - I had the pleasure of watching McLain Ward show at Washington. One word - WOW!

As it's gotten me in trouble in the past. I at times tend to speak before thinking but I will say this much.

Experience=knowledge

I can agree that while reading books and watching great riders do their thing, and it does enhance your general knowledge, it does not equate to "all knowing". As stated before, until you've walked in those shoes, I believe personal opinions should be left personal and attacks should not be made at all...besides it's against the rules.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I would like to personally welcome you, Mr. Ward, to our board and while many of us may be a bit star struck, I hope it doesn't scare you off and you continue to share you knowledge comments with us.

~Courtney~
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Sparticus Guest

I grew up in Westchester and I remember you riding pony hunters and you father and WOW. Going back a long way - Yes! I know that everyone can sit on the rail and talk - but let um get out there and put on the miles with more then there mouth and let um take the falls, crashes and school of hard knocks best teacher... You keep up the good work - Sparticus

Thank you, Hattie and Spunky. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I appreciate the nice comments!

~Erin Lizzy
    Visit my Website!
    "If money could talk, it would say goodbye."

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Oh that's it ErinB - forget all about your first complimentor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] And never mind the grief Becca will give me for complimenting a member of UJUMP [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Oh sorry DMK, I'm going senile like old Becca! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Pssst.. it's okay, by the way. I've still got my chains, locks and moldy cheese, even if she is loose on probation! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~Erin Lizzy
    Visit my Website!
    "If money could talk, it would say goodbye."

for the incredible expenses I have incurred owning a jumper. My daughter decided she HAD to ride jumpers when she saw Mclain and Lost at Upperville a few years back. I own an awesome grey jumper (like Lost) and it is all Mclain Ward's fault. Thanks- it's been a huge expense but a ton of fun.