The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

I'm editing this out because this is obviously a somewhat inflammatory topic.

[This message was edited by Alf on Apr. 20, 2001 at 12:21 PM.]

I'm editing this out because this is obviously a somewhat inflammatory topic.

[This message was edited by Alf on Apr. 20, 2001 at 12:21 PM.]

Perhaps it's me. .. but I don't know what you're talking about! Must be more private than you thought! What's CD?

Holy cow..I hadn't heard that allegation but it wouldn't surprise me ....It is THE PITS here..all the shows that were any good do not exist anymore, apathy, lack of support, the undermining efforts of the afformentioned dirt bag, the I can do it myself w/o professional help mentality have done a real number on the area. Some of the professionals are nothing more than moderately capable amateurs who have hung out a shingle and there are alot of people burned by unscrupulous horse deals..then they quit forever, buy a tennis racket and move on..leaving us with the well deserved mantle of the "horse trader". It is sad becasue it used to be pretty prosperous with several good shows for all levels of riders, from maiden to medal maclay....now there is a year award for novice hunter..what the heck is that??? You win three class(15 points or whatever) and in theory you are out...be second ALL YEAR and win the year end championship!!??? There are so many bizarrely restricted divisions and odd self serving rules it is hard to keep track of them all...I feel bad. The CDHJC I knew was fairly cohesive (as much as horse people could be) and definately progressive..That changed about 10 or so years ago when an unsavory element was allowed too much influence in decision making and allowed into the leadership, which was undermined from the inside out. Now there isn't much left. No winter shows to speak of, no summer shows (save the few A shows they "point") and basically the only thing doing OK is the school horse showing..a veritable cash cow for the barns...

Betsy
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

that is doing much better than the rated shows. Most of their shows are on the same grounds as the rated shows, costs less, more fun, sometimes 3x as many horses, and the quality of horseflesh/people is better. JMHO

Enquiring minds want to know. I have been out of the CDH/JC for a while (more than 10 yrs) and just started back taking lessons. I'd love gossip, please feel free to em me. Where did you ladies ride? I assume I know who the alleged harasser is. I'm just back to riding and considering buying or leasing but don't want to meet with disaster. Please give some me advice.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

the good news is that I never have! Nor anyone related to anyone with those initials. Dodged that bullet anyhoo.
    F O.B

Just my 2 cents.....too bad somethings never change ..I rode in the area waaaayyyy back in the 70's..the little scumbag didn't roll far from the BIG scumbag..did it!?!..

Skysmom...ROFLMAO!!!!!! You made my day!!!!!!!!

Betsy

What Betsy said!!!!!

you all are bringing back memories. i too showed in the CDHJC shows in the late 70's. it's sad to hear that the shows have gone downhill. i'm still trying to figure out that tasty little bit of info and am tempted to call an old friend for some more info!!

I still think that CDHJC is great now! It gives you the baby step to start your show career.

Jill

Also I dont know if you guys know their website here it is:

http://www.cdhjc.bizland.com[
    [This message was edited by JILLO626 on Apr. 17, 2001 at 06:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by JILLO626 on Apr. 17, 2001 at 07:00 PM.]

Same newsletter that I read for the past 12 years. I had/have my friends, and the rest are meaningless...

OMG Jill Get your head out of your butt and smell the doo doo in the Capital District!!! You obviously have not been "around" much or you would realize that this particular area is seriously lacking in knowledgable professionals and if you need proof just go to the upcoming St Clements horse show. The poor,naive people who are buying the load of bull these so called professionals are selling them are an embarassment when they go to the bigger shows. I can only think of one person who I would board and train with in the area and she won't have any thing to do with the locals for the very reasons as stated above. I wish the people in the area would wake up and realize they are being lied to and get help from someone who knows what they are doing. I know I will be at St Clements to watch the local contingent Its my yearly entertainment!!!
    POG MO THON other nations may swear,but the Irish really mean it.

Why are all of you guys grilling on CDHJC? Let me ask you a question. Do you have tons of money that you can spend to go to all of the A shows? I seriously doubt it! CDHJC smaller shows let people who are just starting get a chance at showing.
    Okay so I know some people that bought horses that were way to much for them but they eventually worked their way thru it. I also know tons of people,Like me, who have bought horse thru the professionals and have had great success.
    I also know that trainers wont go to the smaller shows because this one doesnt like that one and so on. But you should never burn your bridges behind you!
    I dont think that you should be picking on CDHJC specifaclly when there are tons of others organizations ought there just like Capital District. I just think it is plain wrong to pick on this one in particular [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Also the thing with St. Clemets is the footing isnt the best in the world. And it is the first big show that we get to go to. The horse arent used to being ridden outside. I think that St. Clements is a great show!!!

Yes, Alf, I'm at DM. Funny thing is that I started there 30 years ago. I rode there through my junior years and left to ride with a friend at her place. It is weird being back with PVG after 20 years. I have several friends with horses there so I get to ride an extra horse now and then. I have to admit that I'm not nuts about the schoolies they have right now. I've been riding a horse that they part lease from a boarder. It has been fun riding again after a few years away but after my last horse (the equine love of my life) I am spoiled! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    F O.B

at St. Clements, just other factors leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Hey, Fleetie, welcome. I used to be from upstate New York, so I might know the horse that you used to ride or own. . . who was it?

Also, you said on another thread that you got your screen name from a school horse. That wouldn't be "Fleetwood Lassie," would it? If so, what a small world!!

Jill, we are grilling them because we remember when it WAS decent...There are so many frauds out there and it is sad that customers ussually end up sick and tired of the whole thing from buying bad horses to learning all the wrong stuff..you dont need a fortune to go to A show..they arent that much more than a local show if you go for the day and do the novice stuff. You will be jumping SAFE and SANE courses, not ones built to a 10 foot stride (so all the crippled scopeless horses that were sold to these poor unsuspecting people can come home with a ribbon). The stuff you learn at the current bunch of "shows" is for the most part better off forgotten. I am NO snob but I refuse to spend a weeks pay riding in a place that smells like a cat box or has concrete for footing, igmorant course designing and general low quality. I would rather do ONE A show than a jillion "local" shows.

Betsy