The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beval Artisan

Has anyone been into a Beval store recently and seen this new saddle? I know it wouldn't be a good fit for me and my mare, but I have a friend looking who was interested in all the "custom" options it offered for a lower price.

I just went quickly to their website and looked at it and I don't understand what is so "custom" about it. At size 16.5 the only options you had were flat or deep seat - both tree and flap length only seemed to come in "standard."

Even for the 17'' seat, the only flap choices were standard and long.

I guess I really need to stop expecting saddles with "custom" options to have short flaps as one of those options.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I just went quickly to their website and looked at it and I don't understand what is so "custom" about it. At size 16.5 the only options you had were flat or deep seat - both tree and flap length only seemed to come in "standard."

Even for the 17'' seat, the only flap choices were standard and long.

I guess I really need to stop expecting saddles with "custom" options to have short flaps as one of those options.
    That was what I was thinking, hence my putting custom in quotations. It seems only "custom" for tall, leggy riders... Of which she isn't.

"Yeah, hear, hear!" says the short chick with a wallet.

"It ain't custom nuthin' until you get Shortie as an option."

And then the manufacturers stop listening because of the redneck language.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

They actually offer 4 different tree widths (& start with a wider gullet) which is demned adventurous for Beval

You can get the practice saddle for a 100 dollars more, wouldn't you rather that... I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

A girl at our barn just got this saddle. It's really nice and what a great price point. It sits very similar to my butet.

I *think* the drop down menus are just listing the saddles they have in stock- not what you could order if you called them up or went in to the store.

Default Artisan

Hi yes Mark from Beval I know people are not supposed so try to sell on here which many do however just wanted to point out that the last post was correct we only have up the few stock saddles. In the end we will have All the tree widths all the flap patterns at least two seat depths and as usual we can do all kinds of customization on the panels. If you added all the attributes you can come up with hundreds of combinations actually really thousands I know we are working on a new item Matrix system and it is unbelievable how many item numbers something like this can take up. To the poster that says this is adventurous for Beval about the gullet width not sure what you really mean we have offered that In the Natural the Butet FB2 the New Butet M tree just to mention a few.

Thank you Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MHW View Post
    Hi yes Mark from Beval I know people are not supposed so try to sell on here which many do however just wanted to point out that the last post was correct we only have up the few stock saddles. In the end we will have All the tree widths all the flap patterns at least two seat depths and as usual we can do all kinds of customization on the panels. If you added all the attributes you can come up with hundreds of combinations actually really thousands I know we are working on a new item Matrix system and it is unbelievable how many item numbers something like this can take up. To the poster that says this is adventurous for Beval about the gullet width not sure what you really mean we have offered that In the Natural the Butet FB2 the New Butet M tree just to mention a few.

Thank you Mark.
    Does it come in a short flap?

Actually, I kind of like that saddle. A bit wider than my Pessoa would be a great help with my new boy....

Quote Originally Posted by MHW View Post
    Hi yes Mark from Beval
    <snip> To the poster that says this is adventurous for Beval about the gullet width not sure what you really mean we have offered that In the Natural the Butet FB2 the New Butet M tree just to mention a few.

Thank you Mark.
    I spoke to a Beval spokesperson not quite 2 years ago about getting a wide gullet channel, wide tree saddle (had found an older Beval model that was gorgeous leather & great tree shape) & was told that Beval really had nothing that would work; disappointed I checked back a couple times over several months ... same response each time.
    I wasn't much interested in a Butet for an immature 3yr old.

Spokesperson did not think the Natural would fit and was unwilling to consider sending any demo saddles into Canada, nor could I find any Canadian retailer that was interested.

I'm curious about how the leather differs from the Butet. I hope it's more "cushiony" like it's competitors in that price range. That was the only thing I didn't like about my Butet (it was hard--and I had it since it was new).
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Yes it comes in many flap sizes currently the one flap is the shortest but we are making a shorter one. WE have also already had to build a longer more forward one than we have as well. To the Canadian poster that is unfourtunate sorry about not sending the saddle up there it really is a bit hard with the boarder and customs. The leather on the seat and pads is ultra soft and cushy. The solid leather of the flaps and skirts is also soft and pliant but more firm basically like it needs to be to hold up. The gullet channel combined with the integrated style panels is very nice for the horse comfort and also still keeps the rider close with great contact. If you look at the panel desighn it has basically four fingers width acrost the gullet and it is straight unlike so many saddles many are wide in the middle of the saddle but are like bananas they go thinner towards the pommel and cantle you will notice on this one they are very straight this helps to keep the wither area open and the spinal procecess clear of pressure.

Thanks

Can you comment at all on the differences between the Artisan and the Natural? I'm in the market for a new saddle, test rode the Natural and loved it. But now I might need to try this one too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Does it come in a short flap?
    Yeah. Does it come in a Short Flap, Mark?

I hope Bevals does do a wide range of mix-n-match options. Do you guys remember how successful the Crosby Centennial was in it's day? Some of that came from the fact that it was the first saddle to offer many tree and flap combinations.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Some of the differences between the natural and Artisan.

Artisan has integrated style panels at this point on all saddles.
    Natural are form style panel not integrated.

Artisan comes standard with front and back blocks we did this mainly because they are fairly popular at this point and we are constantly adding them for people the fact that you can take them out so easily is why we added them at this point to every saddle. If you special order a saddle you can have it any way you like.
    Most Naturals come with front blocks only but can be added or taken out of course in any model.

Artisan has a big more tacky feel to leather when brand new. The Natural has a bit of a firmer feel brand new they are fantastic when broken in especially correctly but firmer to start with.

There are some subtle differences to the flat and deep in both this is where trying each saddle especially in at least very close to the correct size really helps to figure out what is best in a particular situation.

Yes MVP we are doing a very wide range of mix and match so you can get the best combination for both horse and rider.

All ready have four tree widths Standard medium wide wide and extra wide.
    All ready set up for short flap, regular flap, long flap, long forward flap and extra long forward flap. Can do custom flap patterns if needed but the standard ones should do at least 95% of what is out there
    Two different seat depths.
    We are working on different panel configurations as we do custom work on the standard ones now.
    If you start to ad up the custom options with this as mentioned the Sku or style numbers are already a crazy thing.

Also MVP it does come in a short flap since you are the arm chair saddler I would love for you to try one. I am fairly sure we have some in the works with the shorter flap pattern I can check and make sure we made the pattern already though.

Thank You.

1 members found this post helpful.

send me a demo in wide or extra wide & I'll let you know how they work on athletic Welsh cobs with shoulders from he**!
    Oh yeah, rider needs a 17 seat & flap for a longer femur but not so long that flap irritates the beast in the Welsh
    hmmm maybe med deep seat (no flatter than a Stabilizer please ... need a saddle faster than County can get one out ... leased an interim saddle that Beast has suddenly declared to be Anathema )

I was in the NJ Beval store today and your staff was very helpful. I'm trying to replace my older Natural saddle. I was sure I'd buy a new Natural bc I love my current saddle (and it fit my last 3 horses) but I fell in love with the Artisan. The only tree sizes in stock were all med/wide trees which measured close to 5 inches dot to dot. My Natural with a medium tree measures a little over 4 inches so a big difference. Do you know what the med tree Artisan measures?
    Also, the only seats in stock were deep seats. My older natural is a flat seat and the deep seat Artisan seems much deeper in comparison. is the flat seat Artisan similar to the flat seat of the Natural?
    Any info you can provide greatly appreciated. Thank you, Michele

Somehow I missed this thread and Beval-Mark's custom answer to my custom question. Thanks very much for that, bro.

I am a connoisseur of both short/straight flaps and the geometry of a saddle that works for the Short-on-Wide combination.

Often, it's not just shorter that does it, but a cut for the flap that does allow room for the knee, but a little lower. County has a flap option that does this. It's called "Low Forward" if I have my County terminology right.

If Beval can do with the Artisan what Crosby did with the Centennial, they'll have a wonderful product. So Mark, if you order something whack like a short flap 17.5" in a Wide tree, can you return it if it doesn't fit?

I would hesitate to ask a saddle company to build that combo for me on spec. But it would be great if Beval had a stable of saddles out there that would let riders and horses know what the main options feel like.

I hope this Artisan venture pays off for you guys.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat