The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Military Pilots Says Riders Should Wear High Visibility Gear

If you get buzzed by a low flying military aircraft, now you know why they can't see you. Of course you won't see the drones monitoring you.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/312836.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Dunno. The ones who flew low over our ring and waved during prep for the 2010 Games seemed to have a pretty good idea we were there! (we're located right along the border, so lots of activity at the best of times)...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Well it is illegal for them to fly below 500 feet, so they shouldn’t be buzzing you!

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
    Luckily my horse grew up near a small airport, so she doesn’t care about small aircraft / helicopters because we DO get buzzed by sight seers when I ride the cattle pastures that overlook the pacific ocean. Guess they do not expect anyone to be out there, but they are supposed to be 500 feet above. And YES they can see me! I have seen them wave!

I live 5 miles from Ft. Benning, Ga. They train paratroopers, drop them from C-130's. They used to fly really low over my place till I called and complained I was afraid they would stampede my horses. It sounded like they were coming through my house, dishes rattling in cabinets. Now they fly much higher, at least 1000 ft. I'm sure. I may be wrong, but I really think they were looking at the horses. The horses are used to it now, pay the planes no attention at all.

We live under the flight path for F-16s, and this weekend it was LOUD as they were taking off in full afterburner. The horses don't care, and it appears to be a nice positive in that last week the place my horse is temporarily boarded had a dog show and his reaction to screaming crowds was a flick of his ear and return to begging me for treats. We're rural and they can't get elevation before passing over us if the winds have them use certain runways - so no rules against height near us.

I was buzzed by F-16s in the middle of town once during a lesson. I about jumped off my horse it scared me so badly. Amusingly, the commanding officer for the pilots was also a horse person who was at the barn at the time and he made sure to note who it was to reprimand them, as they were well below the height they were legally supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Our first National Cavalry Competition was at Ft. Knox, KY. We were in a park area, adjacent to the air field. We saw every aircraft the Army flies, along with visits from Air Force and Navy aircraft. Some of our paddocks actually used the airfield perimeter fence as part of the paddock fence.

I didn't notice any ill behavior from any horses. If it occurred outside my sight initially it certainly didn't affect anything later on. A couple of times we had to "suspend" a run because of aircraft noise.

Some horses may react; most don't. I'm not going to start wearing blaze orange all the time!!!!!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

You'll never see the Drone that gets you anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    You'll never see the Drone that gets you anyway!
    Only if it is a borg drone.

Couple years back, had a Thunderbird flight of 4 bisecting MBRG fly low & close enough that from the hill I was on driving round bales, I waved, and saw a return salute from the lead pilot.

Horses were cool with it, I was cool with it, and zero complaints from this old wolf... but we have C-5's, C-130's, C-17's, the odd -141, and a few Civvy jets, a couple guys who love to fly in formation, oh, and whatever they call Air Force 1 when it's not Air Force 1 ;=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Some years back, I saw a great pic from someone who lived near Pensacola NAS. Her dressage arena was a bit higher elevation than the NAS airfield, and her husband got a photo of three Navy fighter jets taking off in formation while she was riding. She was heading down centerline practicing a test for an upcoming show, and in the photo, the jets were heading in the same direction she was, and looked to be just beyond and slightly above her. I wish I had saved a copy of that photo - it was pretty cool!

I used to trail ride at a place not too far from a Lockheed Martin facility that was developing advanced weapon sighting systems for the U.S. military. This place was heavily wooded, but it had long, wide clearings through it that went on for some distance and were great for galloping. At first, we were a little puzzled by the HUGE white "X"s spray-painted on the grass at regular intervals, but after getting buzzed a few times by attack helicopters coming in low and fast, we learned they were testing the new sighting system. It made for some exciting gallops.