The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're born gay.

38 54.29%
  • You turn gay.

10 14.29%
  • Both.

15 21.43%
  • Neither.

7 10.00%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

This might sound bad (atleast the topic name) but it is a serious question.

I was wondering if, in your opinion, are you born gay or do you "turn" gay?

I am asking this because I was wondering if men and women come into the horse world straight and are influenced by the other gay and lesbian people. I am not saying that they are seducing them or anything like that. I am saying that you pick up "traits" from the people you are with.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
    see ya

This might sound bad (atleast the topic name) but it is a serious question.

I am asking this because I was wondering if men and women come into the horse world straight and are influenced by the other gay and lesbian people. I am not saying that they are seducing them or anything like that. I am saying that you pick up "traits" from the people you are with.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
    see ya

This has no place on this BB. It is NOT horse related.

One Nation under GOD>
    Come alive in 2005!

I think it is. There are a lot of gay and lesbian men and women in this sport. I want to know if they are drawn to the sport, or if the sport turns them that way.

That might sound rude or stereotypical, but it is not meant to be at all. I was trying to put in as few words as possible.

A lot of things posted don't belong on this message board, but they stay. I think we are in need of a serious topic.

If you take offense to this, I am sorry. I am not trying to hurt ANYONE'S feelings.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
    see ya

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

How about if we change the title and say....

Do you think the public believes that most men that ride english (the show jumpers and trainers) are gay? If so, why?

I find that people I talk to think that men that ride western are not gay, because it's a manly way of riding what with the cows and the bucking and the big saddles, but they think that the men that ride english are all gay because of the little saddles and tight breeches.

Then again, some people tell me that all or most all english female riders are lesbians, because they love their horses and hate men (who take time away from their horses)

Do you find this stereotype popping up?

[This message was edited by enjoytheride on Aug. 06, 2002 at 11:42 PM.]

Ahem. Contrary to popular belief, not only men are gay. I don't think this topic is offensive - not as offensive as wanting to shut it down and sweep it under the rug. No wonder people stay in the closet.

If deciding you are gay has ANYTHING to do with the people around you, it is only because they created an environment where you felt safe enough to figure yourself out.
    Marge, with today\'s gasoline prices, we can\'t afford NOT to buy a pony!

The topic of homosexuality has come up quite frequently on the BB... as horses are one of only a very few sports where there seem to be many gay participants, I don't think it's an invalid question at all.

Tiger, if you do a search in the H/J forum, you'll find a topic started by Jair that was titled "The Ultimate Gay Pride Thread" or something like that. (I know because I just found it today while weeding out old threads. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) I think the topic dealt with your question somewhat.

How could a man entice a lesbian take time away fom their horses? Hmmm. And I know western riders who would never think of letting their horses buck and never introduce them to roping cattle. And as for tight pants and small seats, we had better warn bicycle riders and baseball players how they could be stereotyped.

*giggles with Free*
    Erin - thanks for that link. Here it is if anyone is interested.
    http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/Op...4&m=3840983901

My youth group leader is gay and we talked alot about it. I don't think this is an inappropriate topic at all.

Anyways, to answer your question, he says that you are born gay.

To quote him, "If I had a choice, I would not be gay. But it's the way I am and the way I was born, and therefore, it is me."

*ErinB Wannabe*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This has no place on this BB. It is NOT horse related.

One Nation under GOD> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This topic isnt inappropriate, but maybe some people are afraid to answer and thats why they get sort of weird about it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

"It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone." -Homer Simpson
    ~*From Terri*~

I cannot understand people who say that if given a choice they would not choose to be gay. That kind of self-loathing is such a sad reflection of how hostile many people still are towards the gay community. Imagine hearing a black person saying they would rather be white, given the choice!!! I wouldn't want to be straight just because it's EASIER. That's not how life works. With the inevitable dificulties there are also benefits and advantages that just can't be quantified.

I voted "both" - certainly many people feel like they were born gay, or born straight, and figured that out at puberty or in college or in kindergarten sitting next to the cutest boy/girl in the world.

Having other people around who think it's OK to be gay or be straight or show affection to anyone at all certainly makes it easier.

Other people, though, go through life quite contentedly with one orientation, or no particular orientation, until Wham, something happens - maybe they meet that particular someone, or they discover the leather scene, or church, or whatever, and have a conversion experience, so to speak.

Personally, I think sexuality is more fluid for many of us than most of us let it be. The whole Kinsey scale - some folks are (at any given moment, at least) exclusively hetero- or homosexual, but most people are not categorically one way or another. It's just easier to pretend we are! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think I have some choice in the matter, and am awfully glad I'm a lesbian - so's my partner, and think how awkward it would be if one of us were straight! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I was born on the Kinsey 6 end of things, but I believe, like Jeanette, that sexual behavior/sexuality is very complex and that humans, ultimately, strive for two things: physical and emotional intimacy. There's usually overlap from one to the other and, like they say, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Get-Em-Tiger:

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel so utterly sorry for you that you have to ask this question. And I doubt your interest in a sincere answer.

Are you really this oblivious to the world around you? I've noticed that you often stir things up, without a published email address, or even so much as a geographic location.

I think that there are a great deal of people that are predesposed to being gay. I also think that there are lots of people that have had experiences that make them "feel" that they are gay if only to make themselves feel safe from previous circomstances.

The two are vastly different. I think the one industry that shows acceptance of any lifestyle would be that of the horse industry. I have had the pleasure of meeting some really great people dealing with horses and that fact that they may choose a different lifestyle has never affected the way I feel about them Gay or Heterosexual.

As for talking about it here why not. I like people all different types. I like to come here and share my knowledge and learn from others, so if it is possible that I or the rest of us BB'rs can make someone more comfortable in there own skin then I am happy for that. I havn't had the pleasure of meeting people from this board but I would like to someday. We just happen to be people that are bonded by the same thread, horses and that lifestyle. What a great lifestyle to have.

I think it is an interesting question and I would like to read more responses.

I don't believe issues like this should be swept under the rug, and I am disappointed in some of the responses so far.

"For the dead and the living we must bear witness."

If we assume traits of the people with whom we associate, poor Jeannette's going to fine herself becoming a middle aged, heterosexual, married librarian with an 11 year old kid. Muhahahahaha!

Or wait, would that be Robby becoming the middle aged librarian?

joliemom, lmao

I have numerous gay friends and I have asked them this question. None of them took offense. Odd how it is the hetero people who usually are offended by this type of topic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] .

One very good friend of mine whom is gay once told me that he tried until he was in his late teens to live the 'straight' life. He dated and slept with women, but, as he put it: "It is like having a vanilla shake when you really like chocolate. It is still good, but just not quite what you wanted".