The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bone Bruise - Recovery Time?

HI All.

My lovely mare has managed to give herself quite the bone bruise on her medial RF fetlock. We're doing Tildren and stall rest but I was curious what other's experience has been on the length of layup. The BoneScan MRI show no permanent damage which is great news so it's really just a "Time Heals Everything" along with the Tildren.

Thanks in advance.

Also... any thoughts on keeping a horse chilled out during lay up. Poor girl feels great and can't understand why she can't just go out and run...

judi

Is she off? My only experience with a bone bruise was a long time ago, so treatment for it has probably evolved. My horse was never off from it, my vet did not suggest stall rest (the location of my mare's was different too) and as far as recovery - despite my following directions exactly, she ended up with a calcified bump on her leg that never went away. Never affected her movement either so it was purely cosmetic. Again, this was a something like 25 years ago so treatments may have changed a lot.

I only know of one (not mine) that had a bruised coffin bone. Layup was roughly 4 months.

Don't be afraid to ask your vet for drugs to get the horse through stall rest happily. Also, make sure you've cut the diet back as far as possible.

My horse bruised the point of his shoulder. It took 3 months for him to allow me to touch it with out him wanting to kick me or run me over (and he's generally a very sweet horse!)

Fortunately he was never lame because it wasn't a weight bearing area, but he still got 30 days off because it took that long for the swelling to subside!

I'm surprised your vet is recommending stall rest, unless they feel there is a fracture risk. Movement will help with blood flow, which will heal the bone faster. Maybe get a second opinion on rehab?

Good luck! It's not a quick road; I personally had a large bone bruise with 2 stress fractures that took 4 months to feel 90%.

I had a bone bruise on my femur from my horse and the ortho told me it could take up to 6 months for it to stop hurting!

Second opinion doctor gave me prednisone and I felt better immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I only know of one (not mine) that had a bruised coffin bone. Layup was roughly 4 months.

Don't be afraid to ask your vet for drugs to get the horse through stall rest happily. Also, make sure you've cut the diet back as far as possible.
    Thanks Joie. We're giving her long term sedative every 3 weeks and it seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Worstalteryet View Post
    My horse bruised the point of his shoulder. It took 3 months for him to allow me to touch it with out him wanting to kick me or run me over (and he's generally a very sweet horse!)

Fortunately he was never lame because it wasn't a weight bearing area, but he still got 30 days off because it took that long for the swelling to subside!

I'm surprised your vet is recommending stall rest, unless they feel there is a fracture risk. Movement will help with blood flow, which will heal the bone faster. Maybe get a second opinion on rehab?

Good luck! It's not a quick road; I personally had a large bone bruise with 2 stress fractures that took 4 months to feel 90%.
    Thanks Worstalter...

I've had two very very respected vets here in So. Cal (One who specializes in equine osteopath recommend this treatment of Tildren and Shockwave therapy as well as just taking a good long time to let the bone heal and remodel)
    I believe they are recommending stall rest as it is on weight bearing and she was indeed off from the injury. We're doing some pretty aggressive (expensive) treatment so we really don't want to waste all that therapy by bringing her back too early. We're going to be conservative I think and take 4 months to let her rehab. Our concern about turn out is her hurting herself from doing something stupid due to the lay up. So the plan now is to start her back slowly in August and see if we can ease her nice a slow back into bringing back.

judi

Do you have her in softride boots to minimize any concussion while in her stall? Or considered a stall matress (much more expensive, unfortunately)?

Default 3-6 months

I have a horse here on stall rest for a possible bone bruise I say possible because they have never pinpointed exactly what could be wrong, clear x-rays of the hoof, stifle, good ultrasound of the soft tissue. The vet said 3-6 months stall rest then I'd say 2 months of slow build up back to activity.

I really like the idea of the stall mattress or softride boots. Bedding deep enough with shavings is a major PITA especially for a horse that stirs up the stall to the point you can't find the manure. Although expensive, I'd bet it would be a break even investment considering shavings and the extra labor to clean a stall bedded heavily enough that it really cushions the leg.

Default Depends on severity: mine's only 4 weeks

My horse was diagnosed with a coffin bone bruise yesterday. It's slight, I think. Not totally lame, but positive to flexion on RF for a few strides. Also somewhat reactive to hoof testers.

We did a full body bone scan at Alamo Pintado yesterday and it showed the bruising. Vet's recommendation is:

1g bute 2x daily for 1 week, then 1 Tbs aspirin daily
    Full pad on shoe, maybe even a Morrison shoe
    Handwalk or eurocizer for two weeks
    Walk under saddle for two weeks
    Try a little trot and f he's sound, go back to normal work

I asked about a gradual ramp-up and he said there's no need because it isn't a soft tissue injury.

Interesting that the rehab time I was given is so much shorter than the time others here are reporting.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Coffin bone bruise- going on 4 months of recovery(3months stall rest). MRI &CT diagnosed. Tildren infused 3 weeks post injury, having 2cnd dose Tildren today. Was 4+/5 lame in the beginning, now sound on straight lines, .5/5 lame on circling...probably 3 more months slow rehab before we're WTC again.