The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

you are doing such a great thing! I will say that I adopted a stray at a barn I boarded at, couldn't wait for her to find her "rightful owner"-put up pictures, called the local shelters, even called people who were missing cats to see if they wanted this one! AND 12 years later...guess who her rightful owner is???

I know you have others but your doggie may have found you!!

SO very happy to read your updates! Bless you for taking this boy. He sounds wonderful.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Another update!

Ruger is absolutely wonderful off his leash outside the barn. He came outside with me to feed my two Arabs while my boyfriend repaired their stall door (destructo-ponies) and stayed within ten feet of me wherever I walked in their field. He didn't bark at them or go after them, but did attempt to bring in one of them (I made an arm motion towards that pony and started to walk towards the stall door, I think he misunderstood). I called him name once and he stopped trying to move the pony and came right back to me.

He then came out with me in the bigger field with my two TB's and again, never ventured further than ten feet from me. He was thrilled to be out exploring but was very attentive of where I was and always came right back when I called his name once. He did get a little scared when my 4-year-old TB started following him very closely, but didn't nip or bark, he just went behind me.

I would take him outside of the fencing around the house, but my neighbors have two female Rottweilers and I know at least one of them is not spayed. He seems very attentive to me, even when my other male dogs are out in the fenced yard and I take him outside on the leash, but I wouldn't want anything to happen.

Oh yeah, and I took a bunch of pictures, too.

Ruger 1

Ruger 2

Ruger 3

Ruger 4

Ruger 5

Ruger 6

Ruger 7

Ruger 8...my favorite

Ruger 9

What a difference you have made in one dog's life. Congrats on taking charge and helping Ruger.

Wow - Thank you SO much for helping him ! What a beautiful dog ! I just can't believe people. He sounds like he's very smart and catching on quickly that you are helping him and doesn't want to let you "get away". I hope you find him a great home OR he gets along with your other dogs so you can keep him.

For all that would like an update: Ruger is doing wonderfully. Very happy, loves his "stall" in the barn. He is constantly leaping and looks like he is smiling all the time (I know I'm anthropomorphizing him but still!).

Before Saturday, he had only ever been to three places (those being his homes): his birthhome, the place I rescued him from, and my home. He was never socialized nor had he traveled. I was taking him to a low-cost rabies clinic at our Ag. Center Sunday, so decided to take him out to a local trails park the day before to kind of "prep" him.

He had to be physically put in the car (I have a 2-door Honda, so that was tough ) and had a little accident that we had to stop for, but overall was not too bad. He LOVED walking out on the trails (we did about two miles) and traveled better on the way home.

Sunday, he was a bit easier to put in the car and was 100% better riding to the Ag. Center. I wondered how he might behave with TONS of dogs and cats in close quarters (a long, tight line) but he was fantastic. A bit excited at first, but he seemed to look at me for reassurance and was well-behaved. He was fantastic for his first shot (he wanted to meet everyone in a 5 feet radius so he went right up to the vet and vet tech.) and it just so happened that the random vet available (they point you to the next available vet) is the same vet that we use for our precious Chihuahua with heart failure. She works at a practice with four other vets, and we just so happen to use (and love!) her. I thought it was quite funny we ended up (for an eighth of the price) with our same vet, but random availability. I'm thankful for each of those vets though; they all volunteer twice a year to give rabies shots and not one of them gives any less than 100% attention to each "patient". Great people.

Here is an album with pictures of Ruger at Hawshawa on Saturday, password is annasalbum .

Ruger Photos

Beautiful dog!
    You are what you dare.

Glad you helped him out and that he is working out. Great looking dog.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I wish I was in the area- I would absolutely be looking to snooker my boyfriend and landlord/dad into letting me get another dog!!

He's lovely. Thought he was a border collie from the pics but then read English Shepherd. Our border collie was tri-collar and larger. From Wikepedia,
    the breeds are very similar but their herding styles are different. He sounds like a keeper for you or another right person.

Basque Mom- He could be a Border Collie...my guess was English Shepherd. Our horse dentist (he and his wife breed BC's) thought he was a Border Follies x German Shepherd.

Jadiuex- Where are you? We are in MD.

Waaaaaay up in WNY

He's beautiful!! Congratulations and good work!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

if you can't keep him, can you find out the breeder's name from the former owners somehow? a good breeder will always take their dogs back.

Or here's the english shepherd rescue site:

http://www.nesr.info/

Just curious, is he neutered yet? Would he be good with another male (neutered) dog?

Wendy- the "breeder" was not a real breeder and just gave these puppies away I believe. Not an abuser like the guy I got him from, but not a real good guy either.

Vixen- no, he is not yet neutered. He would probably get along okay with a non aggressive male, but I can't say 100%. I'll have to try to introduce him to my older neutered male and let you know. He was fine with the spayed female at his previous home and was a little scared of my horse dentist's unspayed female they had with them when they came to my place. She showed plenty of interest in him but he seemed a little scared of her and other than a little sniffing, wanted to just come stand beside me. At the rabies clinic, he never barked, whined, or pulled to get towards any other dog and seemed a little worried when they tried to run up to him. I think he would be fine if the dog was kind, and he waa introduced slowly.

He is gorgeous! So happy you rescued him.

You might see if you can post his info with any dog sports groups around you, like agility or herding... he sounds like he might like having a fun job to do!

While I know he has to be at least part herding breed, I'll be honest and say he isn't the most brilliant dog. He is extremely sweet and wants nothing more than human attention, but he still has no clue how to sit or lay down, even when you start it for him. He pays attention (most of the time) to my body language/cues and tones when I need him to move out of the way or get back, but he really doesn't know any commands. He always comes to me, but its hardly necessary because he's stuck to my side 24/7. He does LOVE feeling involved, he's very happy to follow me as I feed in the morning and was in heaven yesterday as he supervised while my dad and I unloaded a big load of sawdust in the stalls. So maybe not an active purpose dog, but he loves chasing the horses when they run (although I do not allow him to now) and likes being a farm dog to just follow you around as you work.

Vixen- I just introduced him to my older neutered Lab mix this morning. He was fine. I kept my Lab on a leash (he runs off) and let Ruger loose and other than sniffing, Ruger mostly wanted to be with people (my brother was here, too). There was no growling, hair raising, or anything like that. I also let them loose together in our closed barn aisle and they were fine there too. My Lab was mostly sniffing around the barn and Ruger would follow him or come back to me or my brother. If your dog is not aggressive and mostly just wags his tail at every dog he meets (like mine), Ruger would be fine with him

He sure is pretty, I guess they have a lot of collie in them. So glad you were able to rescue him. Why isn't he neutered yet? I usually get that done in the first couple of weeks or as soon as th eir weight is up to it. It makes them much easier to train.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Loving these updates Crown Royal

He's a lucky boy, well done you for doing this!
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?