The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Neglected dog- any action I can take? *NEW Pictures post #62

My boyfriend has a friend- barely an adult- that lives with his 70 year old father, a farmer. The friend has absolutely no sense of responsibility and is spoiled, constantly backtalks his father despite everything he is given, and loses interest in everything quickly. They already had two older dogs that were better taken care of before his parents got divorced and the mother left. One died and they had just this one dog left. She no longer receives vaccinations or any vet care, and has full run of the fenced yard with a doggy door to the garage. The father feeds her dry food and she has water, as well as a bed and shelter, and although she does not get much human attention, I am not concerned with her.

The son ended up buying his then-girlfriend a puppy...some purebred herding breed. Her parents didn't let her keep the puppy, so the son kept it at his house. The puppy never received vet care, was never neutered, and was never trained. I'm sure they gave him some attention as a puppy, but they broke up and he is no longer interesting to the son. I believe he is about two years old now and up until a month and a half ago was with the other female dog. He was never given attention or vet care. The father fed him and the other dog and he was slightly underweight, but still ok. Of course, being not neutered and a young, herding breed with no human interaction or form of exercise, he would try to play with the older dog and was too rough. He was never nasty or aggressive, but would make her yelp and occassionally limp. He also started chewing on the new expensive additions to the garage out of boredom. Both the father and son corrected this by hitting him, kicking him, or beating him with the broom, even if it was hours after the fact and the dog doesn't connect the punishment. Dog is not mean from it, but has no idea how to interact with humans. He gets very excited to see you, wagging his tail, but he jumps, pees, and will try to nip to play.

Well as of a month and a half ago, after more playing too rough with the older dog and chewing on something else, they put him by himself in a 5' x 7' pen behind their barn that was previously used for hogs. It is is complete isolation, half of it has a roof and three solid sides with a concrete floor, the other half is dirt and mesh fencing. He has an old ice cream gallon tub of very dirty water that is not changed, only filled by rain water for the most part, and it is filled with dirt, bugs, leaves, and twigs. From what I see he mostly defecates on the open half of the pen but it is rarely cleaned out. The son feeds him once a week when the dad reminds him, but depends on his dad to just do it for him, so I'm not sure how often food is put out. The dog doesn't seem to be eating much of it anyway, they only give him dry food and some of it is in a wall feeder bin, and there's a bunch tossed on the ground in the front of the pen where he does his business. There's a lot of it that's been there for a few days. Dog is even worse socially now that he is completely alone. He truly doesn't know what to do when you approach him, he is excited and sticks his head through the mesh wire squares or jumps up to get to you, but he acts half scared. He tries to nip at first, but when I pet him I can get him to settle down and enjoy it. But the second you stop, he jumps up at the fence again and tries to nip. When you leave, he whines and barks, I feel so awful for him. And he is extremely underweight now, you can see how skinny he is even with the long hair. His eyes are sunken. It's awful and no dog should be living like this.

I desperately want him to go to a new home, but what action can I take? I wouldn't want the boyfriend or friend to know it was me. Boyfriend is defensive of his friend and is of the mentality "the dog has food, shelter, and water so he is fine" and the friend doesn't think there is an issue here and would not even bother trying to rehome the dog. I think the only rescue I could call that has authority would be animal control or the humane society, but would they even take him since he has shelter, water, amd food, even if he's been neglected? I also would feel awful if he were put down because he still has to be neutered and has no skills to be someone's pet without training. What can I do for this dog?
    Last edited by Crown Royal; Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Well, talk to your animal control about what your local laws are for appropriate housing for dogs. You don't need to make a formal complaint at that time, but they will be able to tell you if what you describe is grounds for charges.

Then, you can decide what to do - if he's breaking the law, you can log a formal complaint. You will have to give your name in most cases as most AC/SPCA situations will not be able to pursue an anonymous complaint.

The rest is up to you. Do what you feel is right. If your boyfriend is going to support your friend in breaking the law then maybe it's time to find a new boyfriend who has moral convictions to do the right thing for all living creatures. Maybe the boyfriend's buddy needs a swift kick in the pants to grow up and be responsible. Maybe this would be the catalyst for that. I doubt it thought.

If you know these people, you could offer to take the dog off their hands. If not, I would call animal control. If he is very underweight, that is neglect. Poor pup!

Would the ex-girlfriend call in the complaint seeing as it was her dog? If their split was less than amiable, I'm sure she might be willing to do it.

I don't know where you are, so I don't know what your Animal Control situation is like. Ours is great, she's sort of a friend, so I could call and talk "off the record" to get advice. If yours is receptive, you could talk to them to get the lay of the land.

I agree with Snowflake, I could not have loving feelings toward a boyfriend who could defend a friend who was neglecting an animal...so I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about pissing off the about to be ex boyfriend.

And, yeah, you could offer to take the dog..though, if you do that and they say "no", they'll know who it was if you later report them.

I don't think I can take him in, we already have two large dogs and a small older dog with chronic health issues. If I could take him in, neuter him, train him, and rehome him I would in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately the girlfriend will not do a thing. She goes from coming back to the friend (I'm between his other girlfriends every other week) to hating him the next week. No responsibility on her part either.

Friend does need a major reality check but will not receive one anytime soon, unfortunately, because he is constantly spoiled and he is not disciplined or required to fufill his responsibilities.

My boyfriend does feel bad for the dog and does love my pets, but feels bad for the older father would does care for the dog in the way he knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    My boyfriend does feel bad for the dog and does love my pets, but feels bad for the older father would does care for the dog in the way he knows how.
    Then here's the conversation your BF can have with his friend and his dad.

"Dude, that dog is seriously not happy and I'm pretty sure you're not happy with him either for the damage he's done. If you want, I can put out a few feelers and see if we can get the breed rescue to take him on. That way, he'll get a home that can give him a job and focus his energy and you'll have one less thing to worry about."

He would be helping both the family and the dog without pointing fingers and making accusations. IMHO, that's what a real man would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Then here's the conversation your BF can have with his friend and his dad.

"Dude, that dog is seriously not happy and I'm pretty sure you're not happy with him either for the damage he's done. If you want, I can put out a few feelers and see if we can get the breed rescue to take him on. That way, he'll get a home that can give him a job and focus his energy and you'll have one less thing to worry about."

He would be helping both the family and the dog without pointing fingers and making accusations. IMHO, that's what a real man would do.
    I just had a conversation with my boyfriend about it...he wasn't aware the dog had gotten skinny and does agree he needs to be in a new home. He said we/he can talk to him about it and take him to the humane society/rescue for him. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly, for the dog's sake. Until then, I may go start working with him on leash lessons/manners/sit/etc. I know they won't mind.

That is just not a situation that should be left in a lurch. The lack of feeding schedule, dirty water and pen and total situation is cruel to the max. Offer to buy him if you think they might take some $ for him. If you can't take him, be proactive and find a home or rescue or even a decent kennel to take him temporarily until a good home is found. Just get him out! I'm not above just taking a dog in that sort of situation and would not hesitate to do so. He has no value moneywise or to them and it doesn't sound as though anyone would shed a tear. In my opinion, if you know about it - it becomes your responsibility to fix it even if it means just taking him. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but in some situations it is the only way to insure the animal gets a break he deserves. Figure out where he can go temporarily and go get him! Where are you? I have a Border collie that is a rescue and she had alot of issues at just a year old from being crated for hours on end while her owners worked. She's fine now, but still so needy for attention. It's absolutely intolerable!
    PennyG

I don't know how you and boyfriend can look at yourselves in the mirror if you don't do everything you can to help this poor dog. What a pitiful situation this poor critter is in. If you won't help him, who else will??????

I'd be working the "OMG I love that dog so much can I possibly have him or buy him from you? he's just what I've been looking for yaddaX3". Just get him out of there and tackle it from there...

where is this?

Incentive- I really do not appreciative your uncalled for rudeness. I am not a despicable person because I haven't taken the dog already...you know nothing about my situation and ability to take in another dog. I only realized yesterday how bad the dog's situation has gotten. Obviously I am not looking the other way if I am trying to figure out the best way to help him.

Threedogpack- The dog is located in Maryland.

I may see if I can persuade them to let me take the dog home and at least keep him in my empty 12' x 12' stall. He would have bedding in the least with a rubber mat, a full overhead and side shelter, and has a dutch door the outside so sunlight is let in. I would be interacting with him at least twice a day when I feed the horses and would be getting lessons in behaving like a normal pet. Plus plenty of clean water and good food. But I absolutely cannot bring another dog in the house. May be a temporary fix and if I can't find him a home myself, he can go to the humane society/rescue a healthier and more civilized dog.

I'm glad you have seen how serious this situation is and what a horrible way to spend a life for that dog. PLEASE be very proactive and pushy if necessary about him. If you could possibly keep him until a decent home is found that is probably the only way to know for sure this dog's life has a chance. He won't be adopted out of a shelter and kept or treated well by the average pet adopter unless he is really reformed. Hopefully, a breed rescue can help with him. Good luck and please update.
    PennyG

I may see if I can persuade them to let me take the dog home and at least keep him in my empty 12' x 12' stall. He would have bedding in the least with a rubber mat, a full overhead and side shelter, and has a dutch door the outside so sunlight is let in. I would be interacting with him at least twice a day when I feed the horses and would be getting lessons in behaving like a normal pet. Plus plenty of clean water and good food. But I absolutely cannot bring another dog in the house. May be a temporary fix and if I can't find him a home myself, he can go to the humane society/rescue a healthier and more civilized dog.
    Excellent idea, Crown Royal. Thanks for noticing this poor pupper's plight.

Quote Originally Posted by incentive View Post
    I don't know how you and boyfriend can look at yourselves in the mirror if you don't do everything you can to help this poor dog. What a pitiful situation this poor critter is in. If you won't help him, who else will??????
    Or, you do it.

There are thousands of animals in desperate need.

How do you look yourself in the mirror not personally rescuing every single last one of them?

Boyfriend agreed it is best that I take the dog...we asked the father and he said that'd be great but it isn't up to him. We are going to talk to the friend asap.

Boyfriend agreed it is best that I take the dog...we asked the father and he said that'd be great but it isn't up to him. We are going to talk to the friend asap.
    Yea! Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Please update when you know more!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Yea! Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Please update when you know more!
    Will do!

The son/friend just gave me permission to take the dog if I can find him a good home. He said he would be happier without the dog and "oh yeah, I didn't feed him today." I do believe the father did though.... I couldn't take the dog home tonight because it was late when I left and I had two carseats in my little coupe, but I will probably pick him up tomorrow afternoon! Will update with pictures of him once he's physically on my property.