The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Has anyone else on this BB read the article in the April 2000 issue of Horse People about Barney and McLain Ward entitled "We've Been Wronged?" by Jeff Shields. It is billed as the first time Barney and McClain "tell their side of the story and how it affected their lives".

I'd be interested in hearing about the reaction of others who have read it. I thought about posting some of the statements by the Wards here, but have decided not to because I don't want to inflame the board by quoting the outrageous parts without people actually reading the entire article.

Unfortunately, I think Horse People is primarily available only in the NY/NJ/CT area and to my knowledge, doesn't have a web site, so I can't offer any guidance to those who might want to read the article but don't get the magazine. Perhaps others on this Board can, though.

Has anyone else on this BB read the article in the April 2000 issue of Horse People about Barney and McLain Ward entitled "We've Been Wronged?" by Jeff Shields. It is billed as the first time Barney and McClain "tell their side of the story and how it affected their lives".

I'd be interested in hearing about the reaction of others who have read it. I thought about posting some of the statements by the Wards here, but have decided not to because I don't want to inflame the board by quoting the outrageous parts without people actually reading the entire article.

Unfortunately, I think Horse People is primarily available only in the NY/NJ/CT area and to my knowledge, doesn't have a web site, so I can't offer any guidance to those who might want to read the article but don't get the magazine. Perhaps others on this Board can, though.

you know I saw That magazine in the tack shoplast week and my comment was...........OH PULLLEEEEZZZZEEEE!!!
    I couldnt believe they woould print that,needless to say i didnt buy the magazine
    Brilyntrip

I read the article. I found that it squashed alot of misconseptions that I had. Now I only moderately dislike Ward SR. for his part in the "act".
    As for Ward JR. I am still waiting to hear all the facts.
    I do believe that it is entirely possible to have things happen that is beyond your control. I had a friend get back from Florida, and there was a minor incedent of a couple of horses getting loose and grazing about the ground in the middle of the night, Very well known horses. Some person just opened the doors and let them out. So it is possible for people to have access to an animal that should not, security is not iron clad.
    I also know that when people are winning, and alot that someone may be jealous or stupid enough to do something dumb. My example is the Tanya Harding and Nancy Karrigan incident.
    That is why I am still waiting for all the facts.

I read it - in fact I got a copy at the last show I went (at this show my horse pulled up lame so I ended up huddled in the trailer to keep warm - and thats when I read it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

I was abit annoyed at BArney Ward - I am sorry but I think he deserves everything the AHSA/legal system inflicted upon him. I don't care if he 'reformed' - he still has to serve his punishment. We don't let a murder out of a life prison term if he reforms, do we? For once I agree with the AHSA here!

As for McClain I can't judge until I have all the facts - but I can say I don't especially like either of their attitudes and alot of what Barney Ward said had me rolling my eyes.....

It was a very interesting article though

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

I just received my copy of "Horse People". I must say that I was convinced by the article that Barney has no remorse or regret except for the way it affected him. As to the big sympathy bid, many people have come up from hard and poor backgrounds without adopting any short cuts for success.

Most of us would find it difficult to raise $300,000 to purchase a horse regardless of it's potential. So I guess things are not that bad at Castle Hill.

I think that if as Barney Ward said,
    "And, he doesn't accept judgment from others on the horse show circuit, he said, knew as much as he did about what Tommy Burns was doing at the time."

Well then an honorable man would have realized his guilt and turned in all these other people who are now looking at him so unkindly. Why because yes, if this is true they are as guilty as he, and that doesn't make him innocent.

"He will never moralize over the death of a horse like others in the AHSA, he says. He grew up around stables and farms where horses that were beyond use were put down".

Here the applicable phrase is "beyond use". By whose determination is this done? That is what makes the difference. If a horse has lost his use at 4'0" but could make a wonderful companion at 3'0", is that beyond use? If it were not insured would the same decision be made? That is the issue.

"He built himself a code of ethics based on loyalty more than morality, and if he knew his friends were killing horses for money, that was their business."

In that we have the reason for the problems which Barney Ward has created for himself.

As to McLain,
    "He says there was no sign of any harm done to Beneton, and he argues that the miniscule amount of cocaine found in Oliver would not even ground a commercial airline pilot."

Whether or not the was a sign or evidence of harm, is to me irrelevent. What is relevant is the intention of those chips. And, I certainly hope that the airline pilot when I fly has not handled any dollar bills. McLain is not the one to determine how much cocaine is acceptable. It is the drugs and medication committee with the veterinary committee that make those decisions. I trust these decisions are made based on what is in the best interest of the horses and not McLain Ward.

"Now, I want to go for myself, for the people who have supported me," he said,"not for my country, which hasn't done much for me through my troubles".

That does not sound like the Olympic Champion and role model we want for all those young people who might aspire to one day be on the team. Nor, those of us who are expected to donate money to pay for the attendance of the team.

I hardly can visualize that the Wards have not gained from every aspect of the American Dream. And, I think for all the blessings he has had McLain should respect this country.

Mr.Barney Ward says that he rose from poverty to Castle Hill where his son built him an elaborate private gym, there is a lap pool on the deck. Sounds like the very best of the American Dream to me.

"What separates Barney Ward from his acusers is that Barney is a businessman and a farmer."

He is therefore still a busy and successful person with lots of opportunity.

"And he cannot bow down to the AHSA and others in the horse world whom he considers morally inferior to him."

If that is so then we are all doomed, and so are the horses.

[This message has been edited by Snowbird (edited 03-30-2000).]

I guess the thing I found most pathetic about the article were the statements that because Barney cannot watch McClain ride in person, and because he can no longer compete himself, Barney has a hard time finding a reason to get up in the morning. Carol Molony, a friend of Barney's, is quoted in the article as saying "What does he have left? Horses are his life. He's got a son who's very talented, and he can't watch him. What does he have left?" Seems to me he has quite a bit left.

And maybe he should have thought about those things before he took part in what he did. I can't feel sorry for someone like that. That is like feeling sorry for the unibomber!
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

M. Scott Peck once wrote in one of his books, a sequel to "A Road Less Travelled" that there were truly evil and amoral people in this world. I do believe we all have found at least one, probably two.

How come the topic about tom trout not only got deleted but even the topic that talked about it getting deleted got closed, but anything on the Ward's just goes on and on and even george morris himself has to accept being a target of this talking? I don't know Tom Trout, but I guess he has better lawyers than the Wards or Morris. Or does he just have a lot more going on with the magazine? I think it is unfair to subject some people to what is talked about here but not others. It is even more upsetting when no one here defended Trout at all, unlike all the other discussions that have criticized real people, and yet he got protected by the magazine?

Well, I didn't read the article in horse people--but my boyfriend did. While his answer was PPUUHHLLEEEEAASSSSE!!!!, i didn't read it so i can't say that.

But one thing (maybe 2 or three really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) i will say is:
    I think barney ward got everything he deserved, he should've had more!!! What he did was entirely inexcusable, and i agree that he shouldn't be able to watch his son ride! If he's SO hooked up on watching his son ride , well, he should of thought about that before he did ...well, we know what he did(i can't even say it, i find it so cruel, & disgusting!!!) and if horses ARE his life, then why did he kill some??

As for Ward jr. I'm not sure how many facts i've heard that are actually correct, but i believe(right now at least) that he's innocent... but you never can tell....

I have zero respect for these men. All I can say, Well, boo-hoo, wah wah wah. Quit sniveling - you made your choices, now live with them.

My big question/point is this: Why should there have been ANY cocaine in the horse's system? And if you are putting coke up your horses' noses, whose other noses is it going into?

As far as Benetton goes, what kind of defense is "Well, he didn't get hurt." What kind of lame-o statement is that?

Keep talking, Barney and McClain - you opened your mouths and proved you are fools, now let's make it really definite.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

Jessica:

May I point out that the Wards apparently
    voluntarily submitted to the interview that lead to this article, that they apparently wanted it published, and that therefore I feel justified in discussing it. I agree with everything that Snowbird said in her analysis, except to add that I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, for Barney Ward to FIND many, if any people, who are "morally inferior to him." The arrogance that I read into the comments attributed to him is astounding and I believe he got the minimum that he deserved.
    What confounds me is that in a forum in which he participated, this article, as in his letter of defense to the Chronicle earlier, he STILL cannot hide that arrogance and even appear to be contrite.

I don't see the distinction in the online treatment of the threads either, but, oh well.

Maybe I'm too soft hearted, but I just have a hard time getting too worked up over someone like Barney Ward just because at some point in his life he considered horses to be mere commodities, rather than living, breathing creatures. He's hardly alone in that mindset.

In fact, don't human beings think that way all the time, like everytime most of us sit down to dinner? What makes a horse any more deserving of our consideration than a cow? What makes Ward any more a monster than your average farmer?

Ah, but he broke a rule and he won't shut up, either. Geezum, folks, murderers are treated better than BW! Can't anyone see how inconsistent that is of us?

I haven't read the article yet, but I think I would have to weigh in on the side of the Ward's regardless. The only reason, it seems to me, that they are getting so much bashing is because they, more or less, got caught--and maybe because, for some reason (like just maybe because they didn't come from a line of silver-spoons-in-mouths?) no one will forgive them, unlike, it seems, those many who have forgiven Valliere (to the point of thanking him in an ad in The Chronicle--no one got upset about that, did they?)

I guess I even have to admire the Ward's courage, in a way. They DO keep trying, in spite of the fact that the whole industry, it seems, just wants them to go away. It's a bit bizarre to me, really. Why are we so hard on them, but not others? Could it be because of what they remind us of? Something we'd rather not have to acknowledge about certain aspects of our sport?

BTW, has there been any research on giving horses cocaine something like a week or so BEFORE testing them--to see how much residue would be left in their system? Didn't someone at some point say that maybe people get horses "high" so they can come down and are "low" by the time they show? Wouldn't that be something that a vet school or some other entity could actually do an experiment on?

And what would the dose be? Wouldn't it get pretty expensive? And dangerous?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but P. Valliere NEVER pled guilty to killing horses.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Eventually this article will make its way to the internet I would think. I feel I could not make a valid comment until I read it....except for the following........I do believe Barney Ward will cry "foul" until his dying day. And, if the comment about McLain saying he wants to ride for himself and not his country is true, I do hope the USET gets wind of that. That type of demeanor surely would not bode well for team unity/comraderie........

EXCUSE ME?????

"haven't read the article yet, but I think I would have to weigh in on the side of the Ward's regardless. The only reason, it seems to me, that they are getting so much bashing is because they, more or less, got caught--and maybe because, for some reason (like just maybe because they didn't come from a line of silver-spoons-in-mouths?)"

Yeah, Barney got caught---arranging for the execution of multiple horses. And he deserves more bashing than this board can ever deliver. I'm not a silver spooner, but I've never killed an animal as an indulgence for a client either. Come on, this is ludicrous. How can you feel any level of empathy for this creature?

And while I'm not a proponent of the canonization of Valliere, at least he's accepted his punishment and gone on with his life. True, he continues to make a (very)good living on the fringes, but he has never, to the best of my knowledge, attempted to defy the conditions of the plea bargain he struck. And, God help us, he is not a whiner.

P. Wynn, gotta say it--cannot believe you would stand up for this skank.

Goodmudder. P Valliere admitted to his part in this scandal. I don't recall if he plea bargined or what to get less of a sentence than Barney but he did Exactly what Barney and many others did. He just took a different approach to the situation in his letter to the chronicle and "apologized". And in the eyes of "some" that makes him a better person.

[This message has been edited by MB Stark (edited 04-01-2000).]

MB Stark, I will check the facts tomorrow, but I guarantee he did NOT do "exactly what Barney" did. I believe he pled to wire fraud, but NOT to killing horses!

If memory serves, P.V. passed the name of the horse killer to a client, who then contracted with T. Burns to have his horse murdered. Ward, on the other hand, arranged directly for the slaughter of at least 3 horses. Both accepted plea bargains...Ward's more severe punishment (i.e., imprisonment) was due to the "hands on" nature of his involvement in multiple killings.

[This message has been edited by LucianCephus (edited 04-01-2000).]