The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Now, I am NOT trying to attack these folks. Don't know them from Adam, but I just saw this ad on Agdirect and couldn't believe my eyes.

They headings say "Excellent halter prospect. Great conformation." Then you look at the photo. OMG! http://buyhorses.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1034042430 What do you think?

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Now, I am NOT trying to attack these folks. Don't know them from Adam, but I just saw this ad on Agdirect and couldn't believe my eyes.

They headings say "Excellent halter prospect. Great conformation." Then you look at the photo. OMG! http://buyhorses.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1034042430 What do you think?

Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Egad! Barn blind and/or ignorant. If they were intentionally mistating, they wouldn't have put up that photo.

Susan Doner, Little Bull Run Farm. Standing Boleem, Argosy and King's Camelot. www.littlebullrun.com

eeek! Poor little thing!

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Well, I wouldn't try to ride him...

Maybe the picture was just taken at an awkward moment (yeah right)

But Them folks is from Bama [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

...and that's why her leg looks like that! Or else she has terrible contracted tendons and is severly over at the knee!

But people who breed quarter horses for halter are looking for something different entirely than someone who breeds horses in general for performance. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, but just stating a fact. However, if the breeders/owners of that particular horse think that she has great conformation, they should really consult an expert, like Dr. Deb Bennett...

*****If you can't be a good example,
    at least be a horrible warning*****
    *****If you can\'t be a good example,
    at least be a horrible warning*****

The dam is also listed for sale with the same legs!! And she is N/H, yeah.. lets breed her. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Six Pound Farm http://www.geocities.com/sixpoundfarm

Sigh. Unfortunately, those people are most likely NOT just barn blind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Apart from the severe over-at-the-knee conformation (usually you find calf knees instead), that is what a lot of "halter" people are looking for. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] That baby has the "square" build, stick neck, upright pasterns, short humerous, and posty hocks that often win in the AQHA halter world. It potentially could win at halter. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Just look at the foal's dam. Severely over at the knee, poor hock and shoulder angle, absolutely no bone what-so-ever, and standing Grand at shows. Sigh. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Do not even get me STARTED on the hypp n/h issue. Non-symptomatic DOES NOT mean that that horse will not ever show symptoms, or that it is not perfectly capable of throwing offspring which are severely affected. That does not stop people from exclaiming that their horse is non-symptomatic to unedjucated buyers, or those halter breeders who do not care either way.

A great deal of the "world class" halter horses out there would break into little pieces if they were ever subjected to regular riding. If you ever want to have a fun time judging conformation, pick up an AQHA Journal and check out the halter horses. It is sure to be a fun time.

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham

Alagirl, My former inlaws were from Alabama. My father in law was for many years way back when the dean of the journalism department at U of Alabama. He always used to say that he wanted to write a book entitled "Born in Pickens County and Raised Under THEM Conditions." I wish he had. It would have been a hoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonesta:
    Alagirl, My former inlaws were from Alabama. My father in law was for many years way back when the dean of the journalism department at U of Alabama. He always used to say that he wanted to write a book entitled "Born in Pickens County and Raised Under THEM Conditions." I wish he had. It would have been a hoot.

http://www.sonestafarms.com Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that from a native [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Can you imagine, how this transplanted gal from Germany feels at times [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But the kicker was last election, one Al. woman proclaiming that she would not vote for Bush, since didn't bring the Lottery to Alabama [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (last time I looked, Texas and Bama didn't sound the same...)

&lt;SIGH&gt;

Just wish they had some activities here - or bothered to put the club in the phone book or something. Like they don't want anybody not from around to join them...

Ahhhhhh, Sweet home Alabama...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I think halter Quarter Horses look like beef cows.......

~*~Sublime~*~

"One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain."-Bob Marley
    ~*~Sublime~*~

\"One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain.\"-Bob Marley

\" You gotta cowboy up, dust yourself off, get back in the saddle give it one more try, sweat and blood it takes all you got cause the rode to heaven is a

Poor thing is terrible, I feel sorry for it. I don't think it is walking away, sadly it looks like that is the way it stands. She would be good to use in teaching conformation faults. Barn blind and ignorant.

Like Dunhorse said. Look at the mother.

Dam

Not only could you use a front leg as a boomerang but it honestly looks like a bad photoshop job. Draw a line along the shoulder, and it looks like the head and neck belongs on a horse standing back by the fence.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

It's sad actually. If these were just someone's pets I would NEVER dream of being so critical, but they're presenting them to the public for sale, and for breeding no less. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--- And how did you feel about being denied these Hungry Hippos?
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

What is with the front end OY!!!!!!!

it actually looks like in the dam's picture, her leg is up (you can see the hoof is at an angle in the shadow.) but i agree, the filly has very bad knees

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

EEEKKKK
    Did that say she had the foal when she was a 2 year old?

I think this one beats the picture of the yearling for sale with a little boy (not so little) on it's back.
    As bad as the filly looks I believe the mare looks worse conformation wise, not a promising thought what the filly will grow up to look like. It does look like another horses neck and head have been put on that mare, very odd looking. Poor conformation in the hind end and front legs. Sad thing is the price listed for both horses...
    Southern Star Sporthorses
    Breeders of Danish Knabstruppers and unique coloured Thoroughbred Sporthorses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisamarie8:
    Not only could you use a front leg as a boomerang but it honestly looks like a bad photoshop job. Draw a line along the shoulder, and it looks like the head and neck belongs on a horse standing back by the fence.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a huge problem with most pictures taken of QH's, particularly (it seems) those of the Halter type. The pictures are taken to make the butt appear as large as possible, and the result is the Incredibly Shrunken Voodoo Head.

Little Indian - yep, the left front leg is off the ground, but the right front definitely has a curve to it that shouldn't be there, especially with the whole weight of the front end on it. Look at the back of the leg and you can see it better.

Not all beef cattle are built like that!!!!!
    At least mine(cattle) do not have contracted tendons in front or non-exsistent hocks(not enough angle to the hocks). And my cows must have shorter necks with some leather(dewlaps) with sheath and level hooks & pins. And solid bone with very good personalities.

But I agree that this filly should never be shown to the public. And why didn't she have check ligament surgery to correct that front leg-- What does the front leg look like?--when she was between 2 months and 3 months. If this is heriditary, ---euthanize the animal or never ever sell it or let it never be seen. It trauma related, still hide it or never sell it. In my opinion, it is the breeeder's responsibilty to cull what does not represent the breed to its highest quality, or make sure it is not reproduced(colts--gelded. fillies--???you decide).

C'mon, guys! This is the twisted world of the AQHA, where they see nothing wrong with breaking horses at 15 months so they can compete in 2 year old futurities in reining (at 18 months), round-penning them to death, never turning them out, standing them tied in stalls after being worked to a sweat then wrapped in neoprene to shrink them, breeding for size OOO feet on 1500 lb bodies, and requiring that all horses over age 5 show in a curb bit. Oh, I forgot about the steroids to give the beefcake look to the yearlings, and that most of them get navicular by age 7. Did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah, peanut-rolling! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

&gt;&gt; If Noah had been Truly Wise,
    He would have swatted Those Two Flies... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] &lt;&lt;