The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter Breeding Classes - Attendance?

Just out of curiosity, which age group seems to have the most attendance at the Hunter Breeding shows?
    Yearling, 2yrs old or 3yrs old? And, which sex?
    It certainly seems the Non TB divisions are markedly bigger.

Thanks!

The TB divisions have generally just filled with one or two horses lately. Devon, Warrenton, and Upperville do better with the TBs, and of course the non-TBs. Generally the yearling group is largest, followed by two year olds, then three year olds. However, I seem to remember that at the large shows the two year old classes might be larger than the yearlings sometimes. Does anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Diane Halpin: Facebook
    Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

In Northern California we do not split fillies and colts. There is also no TB division.
    Just yearling, 2 y.o., 3 y.o. and BYH
    It is rare to have more than 5 or 6 in a class. Usually 3 or under.

Could it be speculated that the 3yr old divisions smaller because many of those horses have moved on to the U/S classes vs. the line classes?

Yes, for me that has been true. I just did Upperville last year with Palomar who had had national rankings in hunter breeding as a yearling and two year old. I just thought he'd done enough and it was time to move on. He's just turned four and is doing well in the 3' Pregreens.

My 3 yr old Couture Du Jour went back to win at Devon again...having been a winner as a yearling. I had her entered for YH but she was scratched as she picked up a bug showing (U/S) a few weeks ago. So there are a few factors in my reasoning. I wanted to give her a chance to win again but not so much the U/S class as she was challenged to even get to Devon.

The Non-TB classes are always larger at Devon. I felt the 2 & 3 yr old C&G No-TB class was very competitive. Bill Rube had two outstanding boys in each. Bill's Porte 'O Call won his 3 yr old Non-TB class. Congrats to Bill on an very good Year!
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

typically the yearlings and 3y/o's have the most in them. you tend to see the same horses showing each year and same owners who are interested in young one.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by TWF View Post
    My 3 yr old Couture Du Jour went back to win at Devon again...having been a winner as a yearling. I had her entered for YH but she was scratched as she picked up a bug showing (U/S) a few weeks ago. So there are a few factors in my reasoning. I wanted to give her a chance to win again but not so much the U/S class as she was challenged to even get to Devon.

The Non-TB classes are always larger at Devon. I felt the 2 & 3 yr old C&G No-TB class was very competitive. Bill Rube had two outstanding boys in each. Bill's Porte 'O Call won his 3 yr old Non-TB class. Congrats to Bill on an very good Year!
    Wonderful horse TWF but I think a 2 year old! Other than the BIG shows mentioned? The HB classes in our area might have 1-3 ...maybe...per age division....and no TB classes.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Yearlings and two year olds are always the largest. Three year olds drop out for many reasons: boredom with it, growing toi heavy/coarse, focus changed to under saddle, owner focus changing to u/s or a younger model. It seems the 2 y.o. year is the peak for most of them.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com