The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

please send me the article too....

tapestry659@cs.com

thanks

BarbB

www.tapestry659.50megs.com

those things, and not in a humorous manner. He has ALWAYS believed that riders should be thin, both for appearance sake and so that they get full advantage of getting their leg around the horse, something that heavy calves and thighs doesn't allow for, and especially for short legged riders. He also feels full-busted women ARE unbalanced and thinner riders tend to not have this problem. True, Melanie and Katie weren't the most svelte of riders, but George wasn't happy about it either. Their talent was just too awesome for him to worry about it too much.

That said, he has never, to my knowledge, encouraged poor or dangerous eating habits. Just less intake and more exercise.

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

can you fit into 26's. I'm about 5'3" and weigh around 100-105 pounds and wear a 26! Can I not read or did you really say you were 5'7", 130-145 pounds and wear a 26!

~Rachel~
    \"Celebrate we will, cause life is short but sweet for certain.\" -DMB

three are On-Course brand and one Harry Halls. Both are 26 long and while they are a smooth fit they are not "skintight". I also have a couple of pairs of Harry Halls that are 28 long from before I lost about 30 lbs. But like I said, I'm a DQ: Maybe our breeches are cut more generously to soothe our fragile egos. Sort of like a, say, Armani "size 8" is more generous than an off-the-rack size 8?? *G* Or may TS breeches are cut a little too sparingly to convince hunter princesses they need to diet even MORE?

$350 for a jacket?? Yikes. I've seen 'em for that much, and shadbellies are even pricier, but I show in a jacket that's quite nice and cost CONSIDERABLY less than $350. Heck, at most I wear it 2-3 times a month during the summer and when the temps hit the 90s, not all: How expensive does it need to be for that kind of use?

Why is it that GM expects mature females to look like adolecent boys? There 'is' a gender difference. It's like starving a bulldog QH and expecting to get a TB out of it. Sorry won't happen. Does he really like seeing riders faint?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I've never heard of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Megan & Tequilla:
    So, how'd I do? George Jr. or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
    do TS (I'm a DQ so I don't know) fit differently? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, they run *slightly* smaller than the other brands. My height and weight are similar to ICKYtation, and while I'm a 24 in all other brands, I'm more comfortable in the 26 in the TS.
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Im 5'5 and 118lbs....why the heck can't i fit into anything less than a 28?

Rebecca
    I am the Zone 12 Clique!!!

"No more shows, no more shows!"
    http://www.virtue.nu/pirateer/home.html
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

My breeches are definitely 26s and I'm definitely 5'7"+ and around 140 lbs. give or take. I've got moderately wide shoulders, long-ish legs, definite hips. Most of my dresses, skirts and slacks are 8s or 10s, depending upon cut. Or maybe it's brand: Most of my breeches are either On-Course or Harry Halls. I do know that Harry Halls, in particular, s-t-r-e-t-c-h a lot! *G*

I am 5'9"; 145 pounds, and I can wear size 26 TS's....and I have HUGE hind quarters LOL!

This past spring at Lexington, I got a stain on a pair of my breeches (that were 30's) and I borrowed VTRikki's size 26's LOL! (VTRikki is 5'3" and maybe 100#'s soaking wet.) This is my proudest accomplishment of my life to date LOLOL! I beleive her breeches were 10-way stetch LOL!

Most of my clothes are 6's or 7's - though at Old Navy/Tommy Hilfiger I can wear a 4 (bless those nice clothes designers at Old Navy and TH). In Junior's sizes, I wear a 9 in pants on account of the butt. Like I said early, if I sawed off my ass, I'd probably lose 50#'s [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have read this article and plan on writing a very long letter to the editor.

I was amazed at the incorrect information and the exagerations.

Yes we all know GM has issues with weight, but I truly cannot imagine his saying what he is quoted as saying. Additionally, why did they only present comments from a few? It gives people the impression that they entire industry is that way.

When compared to other sports and the same school age kids in general, we are not any more affected than they are and probably are less so.

Most of the drs I have spoken to have said that being involved in a sport makes a person less likely not more likely to have an eating disorder.

To play a sport, especially riding, you need to be fit and healthy. Yes those that have weight problems may have to diet, but imagine if you didn't ride? Would you not be dieting then?

And yes from the articles slant and sources, it is obvious that they have an "in" on the bb.

I may not always win, but I will always try to win.

Send me a copy of this for sure! justjumpit1982@hotmail.com
    I get asked all the time if I am anorexic, and it's quite annoying. I have a very high metabolism, and I eat every 5 minutes. I like to invite people over for dinner who think I throw up my food, to watch me eat enough food for 3 people. I have very thin arms, and my bones poke out in front of my shoulders like a models, but then I have the ghetto booty! Argh, why can't people accept others for who they are and not what they look like?

~Courtney~

Do a search - the author posted both here and the USCTA board and rec.equestrian looking for input. I emailed with her a bit and will get the article at B&N today.

As someone who suffered from an anxiety disorder that prevented me from eating much (not horse related) I can tell everyone what I've learned ...
    being thin does not equal being healthy. I firmly believe GM encourages everyone to be athletic and trim. Not anorexic. An athlete who watches their diet and exercises will always look better aesthetically, but will also be more capable of riding correctly. If you are 5'9" and healthy, it's highly unlikely you're going to weigh 125lbs.

See your doctor and learn what a good weight for you is.

I am 6'0" and at the height of my issues I weighed 148 lbs. I was VERY thin. I went to the doctor yesterday and did a major Homer Simpson when I weighed and tipped the scales at 187! A good range for me is 170-175. Obviously I am taking steps to get to that weight, because it is where I need to be to maintain optimal blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

Jr* ... a bowl of rice and 8 glasses of water is NOT a healthy diet, sweetie. I admire your determination, but this sort of fad dieting is precisely what Esther was trying to expose in her article. You need to see a physician about beginning a sensible, correct weight loss program.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

send me a copy to!!!! Thanks so much!!!
    exracer84@hotmail.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Shanon~
    "Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do--do it and let it speak for itself." --Martin Vanbee
    Future Re-Rider
    "Take care of your memories, for you cannot relive them." [Bob Dylan]

PLEASE SEND ME A COPY! *g* I'm dying to know what these overly uninformed people had to say.

Horse4me2@aol.com

- L.

"I'm here, but I'm really gone."

I'm away from my computer for the weekend and can't send anything out. If you would email me (email in profile) I can send out a big mass email when I get back.. Or, I can just search the topic and *hope* I've got everyone - I think I might have sent Jo two copies already, but she might still want a third [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.
    ---------
    Delighted Studios - I\'m not too proud to beg.

I went over to my local Border's bookstore and read the article.
    *Endurance Rider Wannabee!* (But...just passing thru...for now!)
    ~*Peruvian Paso Clique*~

They finally got the new issue of Jane into the book store today and I got a chance to buy it and read the article, and, only IMHO, it's not nearly so bad as it sounded like from here.

I certainly don't like the cover blurb -- that's really terrible and unjustified. But the article itself points out the existence of a real problem, and does so in what I thought was a sincere way. (I'm guessing the author of the article wasn't responsible for the cover blurb.)

It seems clear to me that the article comes from someone who is either a member of the COTH boards or who was directed to the weight threads as a lurker. A few of our members are identified and quoted by name in the article. And anyone who read "The Weight Issue" threads here can recognize other people who are quoted by psudonyms as our own members whom we have supported and who we praised for coming forward with their experiences so that our other members can learn from them and be aware of the problem and the solutions.

The author even got comments from the person -- to remain nameless but who was mentioned several times on the weight threads -- who is the poster child for eating disorders in the H/J world. And it makes GM -- whose attitudes were also prominently discussed on the weight threads -- look like the jerk he is when it comes to judging womens' appearances. (He, of all people, denies knowing that any of his students were ever anorexic or buliemic!)

The article quotes Alan Balch as follows: "'Maybe we need to have our equitation committee take up this question a little more formally,' he says, sounding sincere. 'If these are things that are out there, maybe we should have some official campaigns.'" From what I've seen of Alan Balch and the new direction of USA Eq over the last several months, I'll bet money that he is sincere and will ask the committee to follow up. So maybe the article will do some practical good in that respect.

To me, the article really doesn't say anything more than make public in the general media what we were all discussing here and agreeing on a year ago -- that the weight issue is a real problem and too many people are ignoring it. Yes, the article publicly exposes a problem in the horse world -- but it is a problem that needs exposure.

JMHO, of course.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I guess my issue with the article was that it implies that ALL horsey teenage girls were in this habit and failed to point out why.

Eating disorders have nothing to do with the sport you play or the hobby you participate in, they are a psychilogical issue manifested in food.

Riding horses makes you no more suseptible than any other sport and probably less likly than some.

Many sports encourage thin bodies, but most, including riding, need HEALTHY bodies.

To me the article was really an editorial, or a personal account, not a true journalistic endeavor, yet it was presented as such. No where is there really a by line, only the statement of the author's name and their views. That to me is an editorial, not a factual article.

Many facts were incorrect, and that makes me question the rest.