The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

i didn't read the article, so maybe I didn't get the context right, but when it said "the sh1t", I interpreted that as the yay yay cheerleading mini-skirt wearing BRING IT ON the sh!t, like, the bomb or the best, not the sh1t as in "we hate him"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jr*:
    the thing is I really am overweight. I hate it and it's not good for me, but it's an inherent part of the A-circuit jr. set. This is sad, but honestly, the first thing I though when I read that blurb on their website was "God, i WISH i was the skinniest girl in the barn". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, nicely put. Second of all - boy can I relate! While i'm not extremely overweight, I sure am no size 26 TS. The truth of the matter is that I never will be. Neither of my parents are sticks, and i'm "big boned" - or atleast I like to keep telling myself that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But I have realized that eating 1, 6 or no boles of rice will change that. Instead of stopping eating, it's better to excercise and eat healthy. Eat smaller portions of healthier food, but always have food in your stomach every 4 hours. You'd be amazed at how fast that weight can come off. It's not something magical - it's like being an effective rider - you have to WORK for it. WHile I will always wish I was the skinniest girl in the barn, or even a size 28 TS, it won't happen and it's nothing i'm going to kill myself over. My horse is more important than my weight any day.

Jr
    I took "the sh!t" as the "yay yay cheerleading mini-skirt wearing BRING IT ON the sh!t, like, the bomb or the best" as well. JANE mag was trying to be the ever-so-on top of things magazine it tries to be.

~*~Erin B~*~
    Have you hugged your horse today?
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

How old am I when the word 'shit' has evolved into a compliment? I suppose I'm now 'old school'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(I can see it now, this thread will now degrade to a raging debate about the origin and definition of the word, 'shit'.)

On many issues, and specifically as it relates to body image, and factoring in the fact that girls have a hard enough time combating these social pressures without having to confront the same conceits and standards in their chosen sport/hobby, George Morris is the worst thing to have been unleashed onto the sport.

but he's such a cute old man! like a teddy bear. don't ya just want to walk up to him and hug him!! huh heidi, huh????LOL ROTFLMAO
    ok guys, seriously, I HAVE to write this paper...

Jr*, I think Grandpappy George would prefer to be hugged by our trainer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm peeing out all 24 oz. actually, your trainer might be too old for gandpappy...he's so good with the kids..................

Not with that bristly brushcut [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sh!t he may be, but he's never promoted anorexia. All he's ever said is that hunters are placed according to the overall package they present. Long and slender will always beat out short and slender or long and heavy or short and heavy.
    That's the man's bias. Heidi, ole Georgie is the one who's old school!

Might keep me from eating for at least a little while [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Another Georgie-Porgie Gem:

"But he doesn't think this (judging down not-so-skinny people) leads to many eating disorders. "That's called going to extremes," he says. "...I don't know it. I don't think I created it."

As an aside, I just finished typing out the article if anyone wants me to email them "copious quotes" from it - just drop me an email if you do.

-------
    Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.
    ---------
    Delighted Studios - I\'m not too proud to beg.

Hey Delighted, my interest has been peaked, could you send me a copy of those "quotes"?-- sydney781@yahoo.com

Thanks!

** Ashley and a big fannie named Annie **

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    I haven't noticed it a bit, certianly not around my delectable feasts!

Crab mini quiches
    Shrimp mini quiches
    Vegetable crudite w/sour cream/roasted garlic blue cheese dip
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ETBW, we need recipes!!! All in the interest of good health, of course! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Agreed Midge! Forget copies of the article... I want copies of ETBW's recipes!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I tried to find the artical on Jane's website, but I guess they don't talk to Mac computers.
    *Endurance Rider Wannabee!* (But...just passing thru...for now!)
    ~*Peruvian Paso Clique*~

Jr*, like Frog said, eating only rice will not help you lose weight. I saw a great show on The Learning Channel that explained from a physiological standpoint what happens when you diet.

First, the body goes into conservation mode. You will first lose a lot of water weight (don't remember the exact reason for this), inspiring you to continue on with the diet. Then your body weight starts to level off once you've shed the water. You then try harder to eat less. And the brain become irritable with the lack of proper nutrients. Finally, you cannot stand it any longer and you binge, gaining all the weight back plus some. Your body thinks it is being starved and it will do whatever is necessary to prevent this from happening, including slower your metabolism.

But there is a way to lose weight...EXERCISE! Naturally you want to cut down on fatty foods and foods with empty calories, but exercise is the key to increasing your metabolism. Exercise builds up muscle, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even when you are at rest! And the more exercise you do, the healthier you feel, and the more energy you will have to do even more active things, like going for a walk, riding your bike, whatever. And the more time you spend doing those activities, the less time you have to sit around thinking about food!

Would someone please send me the article?

chiquitabanana86@yahoo.com

http://user.boardnation.com/ythejuniorsclique/board.cgi
    Junior Clique!

For those who wish to express their dislike of the article and the exaggerations, I'd suggest emailing Jane Pratt.

Go to this link and send your feedback to her.

http://www.janemag.com/2001/forms/mail.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I haven't noticed it a bit, certianly not around my delectable feasts!

Saturday, CDCTA schooling show menu: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ETBW, You should have seen the swarm when I announced: "The volunteers have finished their lunch. Competitors are welcome to the leftovers."
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Those special moments come and go...a photographer makes them last a lifetime!

Try having my MOTHER! I agree that I have put on a couple of pounds...but everyday I hear "You have put on some weight there girlie" or " You are starting to look just like you did after you had Matthew" or "Are you eating again?"
    I guess it's good in one respect, but ugggh, I get sick of it sometimes. I'll go on binge diets. The kind where I eat nothing but rice and drink water. It knocks off about 15 lbs the first month, and about 10 the next month. I don't know about the 3rd, cause I can't stay away from FOOD that long, lol. Eat sensibly...Hmph.
    Should we all have to eat "MUSH" (or "gruel" as Suz and I call it) like GM? We actually saw him eating what appeared to be Beat Pulp at a clinic a few years back. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] NOT I SAID THE FLY!
    Anyway...with magazines like this one it's no wonder girls are sick, malnourished, bulemic, annorexic, etc. I don't care if GM would pin me lower than he would the stick figure riding against me. That stick figure couldn't ride some of the horses I could either. How do they make it through a normal horse show day without keeling over? I'm sorry if I offend some of the "smaller" people here...but get off the weight issue would ya! It's hard enough being an average weight with all the teeny tiny girls around these days. I'm 5'8 and not ashamed to say that I currently weigh about 145 lbs. Hell, I've had a kid. OK OK OK...I'll stop now. I could go on for years...but it won't do any good. Sorry for the long vent. This IS a touchy subject for some of us! Natalie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

You're only as good as the judge thinks you are...
    www.kimballphotography.smugmug.com
    ~*~Mom of the wonderful Nikolas aka \"Niko\"~*~
    **Proud member of The Colorful blinb-bling helmet, SCgirls, BGSGand the EquinePhotog (do we have one yet?) cliques**

Could I have a copy of the article too? Jo_at_COTH@hotmail.com. TIA.

I'm gong to check out this article, and I mean really check it out. What I've heard so far on this thread uttelry disgusts me. If GM said these things, given what we know now about eating disorders and body self image then I am equally (again), disgusted with him. And that is surely a shame because I think that he is a teacher whose legacy extends to the very roots of hunter/jumperdom in our country. I WONDER WHAT GORDON WRIGHT WOULD THINK OF HIS VIEWS OF THIS???
    Personally I suspect he would be ashamed. And if Goerge really wants to wonder where we were a few decades ago when our USA team was knocking the socks off of everyone take a look at Melanie Smith (who was no one's idea of Kate Moss) or Katie Monhahan, not exactly anorectic either. Yeah the the winners of the Medal/Maclay final may have been barfing in the bathrooms at the Garden but the girls who got the job done in the GRAND PRIX had some meat on their bones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes me want to scream.

Oh, go ahead and raise that schooling fence a little higher, use a metal pole for the top rail, it'll teach your horse to be more careful when he nicks it. Of course it MAY be the last thing he ever does, poor bugger, gee, he was nice horse, just didn't learn his lesson..... DOA

[This message was edited by heelsdown on Sep. 11, 2001 at 02:06 AM.]