The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long will it take to notice a difference after hock injections?

Horse is getting injected this week for the first time on Tuesday. How long does it take for the injections to kick in. He's getting injected with Steroids and HA.

Also, how much time off is given after injections. My previous horse had injections but this was 15 years ago so I can't remember at all!

We started noticing a difference in about 2 days. Emmi just got better and better over about a month and then remained stable for a couple of months after that.

I believe the vet told us to give Emmi a week off.

Good luck to you!
    Rita
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

I have never noticed a difference until about the two week mark and with some injections it has gotten worse before it's gotten better. I find usually it's when I think it hasn't worked that it starts working. All this will depends on what you're putting in and where but I would wait at least two weeks before you start worrying that it's not working.

Always been immediate for me (after 4 days off plus equiox/previcox). Then continued improvement until 2'weeks then some go down hill pretty soon (usually when hocks are a secondary issue) or they stabilize for several weeks or months.

I think 2-4 weeks is usually how long you should allow before making any judgements about how well the injections have worked. I just had my older horse's done, and he got 2 days off, 2 days of light work (vet said "light hacking") and then back to full work on day 5.