The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

We have had so much rain, that I feel like I'm raising hogs and not horses right now. We had a drought all summer and now it won't stop raining. It will stop for a day or two and then start right up again. It has not had time to dry out since Sept. I have gravel dust at the gates and high traffic areas, but with so much rain, those ares are sinking away too! What do other people do to help with mud reduction around there barns? The horses sure don't seem to mind slopping through it, but I DO! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Home to the stallions Zillionair, Billionair, Issue of Gold, Gold Card, and Pure White Gold.
    http://www.norsire.com
    Realtor RE/MAX Renaissance, Million Dollar Club

[This message was edited by Norsire on Feb. 07, 2004 at 08:29 AM.]

Norsire is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

We have had so much rain, that I feel like I'm raising hogs and not horses right now. We had a drought all summer and now it won't stop raining. It will stop for a day or two and then start right up again. It has not had time to dry out since Sept. I have gravel dust at the gates and high traffic areas, but with so much rain, those ares are sinking away too! What do other people do to help with mud reduction around there barns? The horses sure don't seem to mind slopping through it, but I DO! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Home to the stallions Zillionair, Billionair, Issue of Gold, Gold Card, and Pure White Gold.

[This message was edited by Norsire on Feb. 07, 2004 at 08:29 AM.]

Tight fitting rubber boots...so they won't get sucked off in the mud. What about pea gravel? That seems to work pretty good around here and the gravel is so small that the horses don't seem to have tender feet walking on it. There is probably not a good answer...only dry weather. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Original Poster

Yes, I just went out and spent 40.00 on a nice tall pair of rubber boots with a thick lining for the coming cold weather with the mud! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I have never tried pea gravel. Thanks that is a good suggestion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains - Heart of Hunt Country, USA

Not wood shavings but the wood chips you see on the side of the road where small trees and limbs have been sent through a chipper and you see a pile of the chips -

you don't have to worry as much about your horse graveling - they absorb some water but mostly pack down and mud does not come through as easily - I swear by the stuff in all high traffic wetter areas

contact either a large landscaper or the state or even a sawmill?

My barn is on a hill and rubber boots are not enough you also need good tread to keep from sliding back 3 steps for every 2 you take up the hill! (when you are out in the pasture)

Quality is never achieved by accident - but rather by Design!
    Standing the imported Caspian pony stallion Cheleken Zealandia aka "BAXTER"
    www.americanridingpony.com
    Quality is never achieved by accident - but rather by Design!
    Breeding a quality animal should always be the goal
    \"Proud Member of the Hunter Breeding Clique\"

Some people have used limestone fines with success on muddy gate areas. It's supposed to get
    very hard.

Norsire, after going through soupy, boot sucking muck (heavy clay soil) I decided to try geofabric around the bad areas. We just put it down about 10 days ago and it's working fabulously!

The fabric is purchased in rolls, laid out on the ground and covered with limestone screenings. The fabric allows the water to seep through but stablizes the ground and the gravel or screenings are kept separate from the muck. The gate and water trough area of my bad weather turnout was always extremely mucky - to the point of being pulled out of my suctioned in boots if a horse came out of the field quickly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] It's now solid, decent footing after weeks of rain and wet snow. I know a few people that have done entire winter paddocks with it.

Here is a site that describes how to use it Geofabric Application . We only had to prep a small area of the ground we were covering, laid the fabric, dumped the screenings and spread them. It took 2 days to do a 40'x40' area inside the gate, with about 4' on the outside of the gate and a walkway to the barn. And that was without anything but me, a wheelbarrow, a shovel and a rake.

One friend of mine that did an entire paddock scraped the area to lower it a few inches so that when they were done it would be level with the surrounding area. They did use a bobcat to spread/dump a lot of the crushed limestone but you have to be careful that you don't crease the fabric too much when moving the machinery on it. The raking and levelling still has to be done by good old fashioned sweat. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I paid $350. cdn (about $230. US) for a roll that is about 11' wide and 330' long and I used less than half of it. One of the more economical ways I found to deal with the problem.

Do a search on Google for "geofabric" or "geotextiles" to find who has it in your area. One company in the US sells it under the name of Cow Carpet, but they were pretty expensive.

Hope this idea helps.

We have just built a beautiful new barn. Because of all the excavation work associated with it - I am sure my mud is worse than anyone elses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . I am ready to go to Home Depot and get the knee high contractor boots used for wet concrete..... All my horses have a thick crust of new mud every day. I agree they don't seem to mind - but it is very slow going. One of my fields has the weanliings which I go out in twice a day to feed and hay. I know it is just a matter of time before they bump into me and I get to take a mud bath. ARGH!!

We are scraping off the mud and putting a blend of stone and screenings in all the gateways. It is slow work as they try to do it after a few "dry" days. Still won't help the rest of the fields though...

I am sooo sick of mud. I had a load of crushed stonedust delivered a month or so ago, but have not been able to get to it to use it. I just had another delivered to the middle of my parking lot, so we didn't have to wait until a dry day (yeah, right) We spread paths as many places as we can, but and it is much better, but still soggy in lots of places, and my small paddocks are like sinkholes.

We spend a couple of days terrorizing my young stallion to get him to go into his paddock. I thought he was going to kill me. He kept trying to join me on the "other" side of the gate, and no way was I going to actually lead him into the paddock. He kept saying, if you won't go in there, I am not either! My body space was becoming a serious issue, as once my foot got caught under the gate when he was pressing to get around it! I was beginning to like my space more than his 2 testicles! I finally quit blaming the problem on his testosterone, and realized he was just "self-preserving". Now, I use bribery. He knows there is a handful of grain in the bucket just inside the slop, and apparently the way to his heart is thru his stomach, as he walks (scrambles) nicely thru the gate.

I have not been this sick of Winter before March - AND IT IS ONLY NOVEMBER!

Darlyn
    http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

So Follow, Me Follow, Down To The Hollow, Where We Can Wallow, In Glorious Mud!!!!

A little ditty that my mother used to sing to us. Anyone else heard of it? Or am I the only one raised by someone odder than odd??

Anyway, I am also going thru an UNBELIEVABLE mud sojourn. To the point where my horses don't even want to go out - period. It is swiftly becoming uglier than ugly. To get them to cross the "ugly zone", I've been topping it with used straw/manure, which I KNOW is just ultimately adding to the problem. But I can't have any type of stone/dust delivered till things dry out a little, at least.

Turnout has now reached catastrophic proportions. Crazy horses that don't want to go out! HELP!

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

I live in the Great PNW Swamplands- home of 9 months of mud. We've found that "inch and a quarter minus" is the only way to go if you use straight gravel. If you use smaller like 5/8" minus...or pea gravel the horses will just blow through it and it mixes right in with the mud. The "inch and a quarter minus" has bigger pieces mixed in and will pack and hold together better.

Original Poster

Pony1, the wood chips sound like a great idea, and the only possible thing I can do right now, until the mud dries up. My neighbors have huge piles in their fence rows from the state deptment. I will call them today and see, if they will let me have any of their excess wood chips. It is so deep and muddy right now this is the only thing I can do. I also, never thought of how much the wood would even help with absorbing the water. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

horse chick, the gravel fines are there and have disappeared, into unknown depts of the ground!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Nitkita, I will look into the product you are talking about, because my gravel fines have sunk to unknown depts. I can not possibly do what you are suggesting until it dries up so I can get a dump truck in the areas to dump it on the fabric, that you suggested. Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

breezymeadow, I love your Mom's saying. Now, as I slopp throught the mud this morning, trying to keep my tall mud boots on, I will be singing it to myself, so I don't cuss the man above for so much rain! My boots have almost come off so many times, it is not even funny anymore. I have to walk close to the fence so as one of my boots is sucked way down deep in the muck, I can hold onto the fence as I excavate my boot out of the sucsion hole, trying to pull me under to unknown depts! ROFL!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Run-A-Muck, I have seriously thought about doing this in the one paddock. I was going to put the large gravel down and then go back over it with gravel dust. I'm just worried about stone bruises and gravels on the horses hooves. I guess they walk across creeks and rocks in pastures. But, it is such a concentrated area, I worrry about it hurting them. But, if the large gravel stayed down underneath as a filter to let the water go down and the gravel dust stayed on top it may just be my best solution. Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well, I'm off to feed the hogs in their mud lots!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breezymeadow:
    So Follow, Me Follow, Down To The Hollow, Where We Can Wallow, In Glorious Mud!!!!

A little ditty that my mother used to sing to us. Anyone else heard of it? Or am I the only one raised by someone odder than odd??

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to sing that at camp every summer! I remember!

I am also beyond sick of the mud. At my place it's red clay that stains everything too.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

"Inch and a quarter minus" gravel is a mixture of pc's up to an inch and a quarter and everything below that in size...so you don't have to layer it. They may call it something else in other parts of the country.

I have barefoot babies on it...unshod adults, and shod horses with no problems except for the 2 fools who love to dig in it. Going out to feed is a real treat when you roll the wheel barrow into a new water hazard that wasn't there the night before.

Is that the same thing as we call "Crush & Run". They use it here for gravel roads.

Darlyn
    http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Original Poster

I just got some for my driveway about a month ago. On my drive way, we first put down #3s, which is 3 inches and then the crusher run over top to pack down like sement. If, the #3s did not come up, that would work great. But, I do worry about the 3s coming through. I'm off to sing my mud song and feed the hogs this morning! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    At least it was windy as hell last night so maybe it will dry up this week, with no more rain! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Now I have huge hunks of frozen mud for the horses to struggle with. At least with things being frozen we can add some screenings in the gateways. My two yearlings were so happy to have some soft/decent footing to play in. They were leaping around on a 12 by 24 foot section for over an hour - of course totally tore it up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] - just can't win. I hope everyone else is surviving "the conditions".

Original Poster

It is now frozen craters! Watch your ankles! But, atleast you can put down some stone now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

...why don't you use the mud as an excuse to have a "sale" on your little filly BF FyresSiren Song (if she's still there!)?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'd gladly take her off your hands!

Original Poster

So, Norsire...

...why don't you use the mud as an excuse to have a "sale" on your little filly BF FyresSiren Song (if she's still there!)?!

I'd gladly take her off your hands!

Which filly are you referring to? BF FyresSiren Song is not a foal or horse of mine. I think you maybe confussed. I did just attempt to do a video of my filly Shimmering Gold to send out to someone, but the mud was so bad, I'm going to have and try another day...now it is frozen crators and will break ankles! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]