The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Conroe, Texas, Where Grass is Green and Stalls are Clean

I am Lucien. My mom uses the name "Portia" here, but Portia is really the name of my adopted sister, the gray mare who has the stall next to mine.

Portia is young and pretty, and a girl, and she goes to lots of shows so she gets lots of attention. She also asks for lots of attention by doing things like sticking her head out and making faces, and hanging her tongue out of the side of her mouth until she gets a cookie.

I am much older and more dignified, and do not beg the way she does. But somehow, I always seem to get treats at the same time she does, just by sticking my head out of my stall. I am distinguished looking and have a noble head, and come from fine old Trakehner stock.

I am a very good brother and son. When we're turned out together, I make sure I protect Portia from all the other horses in the neighboring paddocks. She flirts a little too much sometimes, so she needs me to keep an eye on her.

I take excellent care of my mom, even when she messes things up and I have to say "just hold on, Mom, I'll get you over it!" I do like to have a good joke once in a while, but it's all in good fun. I know my job. My mom loves me and says we will be together forever, so I really don't care how much attention the girl gets.

I really don't want very much at all for Christmas. I have a nice trailer, though I don't use it very often which is fine with me because I like to stay home most of the time. (Shows are fun, but not every week.) My mom doesn't make me wear hand-me-downs, and buys me pretty much whatever I need. I also have a very nice teenager who takes care of me and rides me during the week when my mom is busy at the big office building. So, I'm not asking for much.

Except, if you could arrange it, I would like to get more than one pound of sweet feed per feeding. Everybody else gets much more than I do. Mom and Auntie Jo and Auntie Alex say it's because I get pure alfalfa and not grass hay because I'm allergic to the other stuff, and too much grain makes me fat. But I look good with some meat on my bones, really I do. And I do love my Omolene 200.

I would also like my mom to make sure she keeps the cookies in stock all the time. Sometimes she forgets to buy the big bags of Apple Wafers and I have to go days without proper cookies.

So please remember that, Purina Omolene 200 for Lucien. And cookies.

Also, please ask my mom to stop calling me her "Little Sweetums Babykins" in public. I'm 14, and it's embarassing when the guys hear it. (At least she doesn't call me "Porky" or "Countess Porkula" like a certain over-sized grey horse I could name.)

Thank you very much, dear QHSM.

Your friend,

Lucien

So Intent Guest

dear QHSM
    I, chief, have hijacked mom's screen name to write this stuff,

First of all... I would like you to give my girlfriend, Sierra, a chewtoy, so she can stop biting me all the time. I'm sensitive, and it mars my coat!

I would also like more food. Peppermints, carrots, grain, sweetfeed, hay, any and all of it.

Can you give my mommy a higher paying job so she can work less and spend more time doing the important things, like feeding me? I'm on the verge of anorexia.

And while you're at it, can you make my best friend Charlie Brown <snicker> be nice to me? He never shares his hay, and he always ignores me in the pasture. I have to go play with the mare and the pony <shudder>.

Oh, and can I have a pony? I want a pony.

Cheif can have Pockets [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OW! I take it BACK!

I am Red Storm. I am 26 years old and know many things. I Have seen many Christmas seasons come and go. My Mom knows how wise and wonderful I am, and she gives me almost anything I want. So, my Christmas list for myself is short. All I want is for my Mom to give me more peppermints each day. She says that I am old, and that she doesn't want to ruin my teeth. But, I am Red Storm, and my teeth are fine. So, if you could please tell her that I can have more than two peppermints a day, I would be very grateful.

This is important, QHSM! I have a sister by adoption. She is my Mom's other horse and her name is Promise. She is a nice horse, even if she is a Thoroughbred (I am a Polish Warmblood, which is better of course). Please, for Christmas, tell her, and make her understand, that she can't get sick so often. My Mom loves her very much (maybe as much as she loves me) and worries when she is sick. If Promise would just understand that, and not think that when she gets sick she gets all kinds of attention, and attention is good, then my Mom would be very, very happy.

I am old. I have had many owners, and I know how lucky I am to have a nice Mom to end my days with. If you could make my Mom happy, you will make me happy.

Thank you very much,
    Red Storm (the old and wise)

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

QHSM (and her channeler) so do like reading such fine letters. (Ahem, Proof Set: QHSM heard that!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

First, to Lucien: You sound like such a learned, kind horse. QHSM (and Beezer) would be honored to have your in her barn. I don't suppose ... well, no, probably not.

QHSM will speak in the sternest manner to your owner about her neglectfulness in the treat department. And about upping your ration of Omolene 200. QHSM quite agrees: A gentleman of your stature *always* looks better with a rounder tummy.

Now, about those nicknames ... QHSM fears that she may not be able to help here. After all, she is guilty of similar silliness herself. Try to look at it this way: the higher regard your owner has for you, the sillier the nicknames tend to be. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

To Chief: How kind of you to ask for a toy for your friend Sierra. QHSM's only concern is that you might try to use it as leverage to "get something" from Sierra, and QHSM does not want to be responsible for that. Perhaps you might suggest that she try gnawing on a wooden fence or tree or a halter that a human carelessly left within reach? These are all things that QHSM tolerates on a regular basis, so why should Sierra's family be any different?

It does sound like you're a boy with an appetite! QHSM knows all about those; they've been eating her out of house and home for years! Your owner will be told of your needs and desires, with strict instructions to see to them ... but you have to promise to stop teasing your friend Charles Brown -- particularly if you want that pony. Deal?

And now, dear, dear Red Storm: Last, but certainly not least. What a wonderful, genuine fellow you are. You are a horse after QHSM's heart. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

QHSM will speak to your sister about her health problems and see if there is anything she can do to help ease them. And she will try to help alleviate your mom's concerns. But you must remember: It is a mother's privilege and right to worry; it's our No. 1 job. I am sure, though, that if she knew how her worrying worried you, that she would make an effort not to worry so much in front of you. Would that help?

Now, QHSM is going to concentrate very hard on granting one really important wish for you: Many, many more years to enjoy your life with your mom. It sounds like a match made in heaven. QHSM likes those best. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

***I see trees of green, red roses too. I watch 'em bloom for me and for you. And I think to myself ... what a wonderful world. Yes, what a wonderful world." -- Louie Armstrong.***
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

This is so cute, I wish I had a horse who could write to other horses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*
    http://emmapony.diaryland.com

Conroe, Texas, Where Grass is Green and Stalls are Clean

You are a Polish Warmblood? I am a Trakehner, so we are very nearly related. Those of us from Eastern Europe must stick together, right?

You are not a beautiful shade of Chestnut, by any chance, are you? Since we are probably related somewhere way back, if you don't mind, I would like to think of you as my uncle. Every horse needs a wise old uncle to turn to every now I then.

I just wanted to let you know that horses like us are very tough stock, and we live a long time -- as long as ponies. I am only 14, but my father was 32 when he finally passed over the Rainbow Bridge. And he kept making babies up until nearly then, so how's that for strong stock? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It is nice of you to be so kind to your sister, especially since she is a flighty Thoroughbred. I will try to learn from your wisdom and be nice to my sister Portia, too. I will hope for good health for Promise so that you and your mom can stop worrying, and so there is more money for your mom to spend on you.

(Sorry to butt in on your thread, QHSM, but I'm sure you will understand why I would like to talk to Red Storm.)

Hoping to be your friend,

Lucien

I was nice to Pockets ALL weekend!

Dear QHSM, did you send a tiny note to my Mr. Wings? I heard him tell my Mummy that I could have a new turn out sheet TODAY [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thank you, Thank you!

N2Jumpers can stay, too. She is nice and gave me a carrot. I wasn't very sweet and dear when she visited me but I was VERY hungry and they interupted my breakfast by being there in my aisle and talking. I would be Very dear and nice if she comes to visit again.

Is that better? Do I get my other presents?

I am indeed a very beautiful shade of chestnut. My Mom has mentioned you many times, so I know that you are too. We surely are very closely related, as another name for Polish Warmblood is Polish Trakehner.

I would be honored to act as your Uncle, as you are such a fine young man. You are quite correct, we Eastern Europeans must stick together.

Your notion to take good care of your sister, Portia, is a very good one. Those who love us, such as your Mom, love us with all their hearts, and they have more than enough room in those hearts to love more than one fine horse such as we are. We are very lucky to have found such love, and we must be sure that we return it. Your sister is young, and has many important lessons to learn, you can teach her.

Don't forget, however, that you must also teach her and your Mom the importance of the HORSE. They must know that we reign supreme, with fire in our eyes, and sparks flying from our hooves. Just be sure you don't hurt your Mom, while you are demonstrating this.

I am old, but, as you say, I am healthy and will have many good years left to be loved and cared for by my Mom. We do come from good stock, and can thus reward those who care for us with many years of our company.

And now, dear QHSM (and your most excellent channellor also), I too must beg your pardon for infringing upon your wonderful thread. Thank you for the very kind words that you said to me earlier, I can see why you are so beloved by so many.

Red Storm (who is now an Uncle!)

Bonjour!

Merci Proof Set for starting just zee sort of topic that I vant at thees time of year [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There are many things that I can think of that I would wish for the Christmas day.

Perhaps this QHSM (or le Reine de Mom au Cheval as I vould say ) can help.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I would like to be a single horse again. For the past year I have shared my owner with this mare that I neither asked for nor wanted in the first place. She came for Christmas last year and never left [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Please relocate her for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <LI>I am a show horse. I am meant to show. Therefore please write the boss of my owner and let them know how important it is that he gets more time of and holiday this year so that we may have some fun. I am tired of always staying at home.
    <LI>I vould also like un nice bridle - it is not fair that Alice got one from Hadfields and I didn't [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    <LI>Jair loves to bake. Please provide him with a copy of le recipes de cookies de chevaux [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    [/list]

Its a seemple list, no? I am easy to please [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Exclusive Arrangement Guest

Dear QHSM,

Although I have chosen to use my proper name for these purposes, this is Chiefs "said" girlfriend, Sierra. First I must set the record straight, I AM NOT chief's girlfriend he is just rather fun to chew on. I am a commited woman. I am, how do you say... "with child". How I got into this position heaven knows, I fought him off as much as I could possibly have done. But alas, this burden on my soul has caused me to require many things this Christmas.

First and foremost, I would like some shoes. A simple request yes, but being put into the old fashioned genre of "barefoot and pregnant" just doesn't suit a high class Thoroughbred such as myself.

Second, I request a new saddle, alas yes I might choose to never be ridden again (I have this incredible ability to be "injured" all of the time), but the Butet just isn't right for my precious back.

Third, I request more grass in my pasture, and an additional flake of alphalfa. The 2 cans of grain 4 flakes of coastal and 1 flake of alphalfa is just not enough to sustain me now that I don't have to watch my girlish figure.

And Last, and maybe the most important, I would like to be reunited with my estranged husband. Although so far he seems to be a love em' and leave em' kind of guy, I'm sure that with my female charms I can woo him into a lifetime of happiness.

Thanks, so much QHSM

The Princess.

Dear QHSM,

As I am still quite young in age I don't really have much that I really want for Christmas, however, I was wondering if you could please let my Auntie Blaze's tail grow back nice and long. I am really sorry that I chewed it off but I was really bored out in the pen. My humom is still looking for a winter blankie for me as well, I keep telling her that I don't need one but she is insistant. I was also hoping that maybe you can talk to my mom, Canasta and tell her that she had better have a colt so that our humom will sell that baby and keep me.

Last but not least can you please let our humom know that all the horses in the barn (all 26 of them) would really, really like it if she makes her horse cookies again this year. Except for Aviva and myself, we would just like some baby carrots as they are lower in protein.

Thank QHSM,

Briana

I am der Lovely Alice, who you haf heard of, yah? I live in der Canada mit my human, Jair und der French horse, Bambi.

I am German und I am a beautiful fraulein. I jump wery, wery gute. Mein Jair must try wery hard to stay on, but he does it most of der time.

For der Weihnacten, I vould be liking a new vardrobe. Jair is generous und buys me many tings, but everything now is being from last year. I vould also like him to not go away so often und leave me alone. I am getting much older now and and ready to be going to der shows.

You vill not be listening to der Bambi horse, ya? Because he ist not to be telling you der truth. He gets many, many tings from Jair, yust as many as I do. Besides, he ist French, so he is already thinking he ist better than der other horses. Vich ve know better, yah? He can get vat he vants, so long as I get too. Because ve are both vanting to haf more time mit Jair.

Frohe Weihnachten,

Lovely Alice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dearest Sparkling-Nosed Chester...

QHSM, alas, does not "do" jumpers ... alas, QHSM seldom rides at all these days (she is much more into the lead-'em and feed-'em school of horse ownership) ... but I, Beezer, ride jumpers!

Now, about that bit.... QHSM thinks that while it is very admirable that you look after your mummy so well, she detects the slightest hint of a naughty streak in you for asking for a milder bit. (Someday, you must ask Merry what happened the time she ordered Beezer to buy a certain fancy bit for Beezer's mare and the "amusement" that ensued.) In good conscious, Chester, QHSM cannot promise you a rubber snaffle
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in that case... maybe you would like to come show me in the jumpers??? I would be very, very good and go very fast for you... and I am good at those funny turns where you see a short turn over the top of a jump...you know, the ones where the coach-person says "go around" but you see the inside turn at the last minute?

And if you got me that rubber snaffle, you could pull all you want to on the reins without worrying about hurting my tender mouth!!

We could have a lot of fun, and if I don't have to get braided, you would have plenty of mane to grab if you need to!!

Love,

Chester

Jump High, Go Fast
    Jump High, Go Fast

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh... PRESENTS? We get presents??! Oh, I am SO EXCITED! Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh...

Oh, by the way, I am Chief, but someone here already has that name, so you can call me Chiefie The Goat. That is what the blonde lady who feeds all of us calls me, because I have horns. Really, I do! My red-haired-girl rubs them for good luck! I don't really like being called a goat, or Chiefie... it really doesn't suit a tough guy like myself. But these people do so many weird things, I just have to go with it.

Now, let's see... my red-haired-girl has been kind to me the last Christmas or two. I got all new stuff because I am a teeny tiny Thoroughbred, and none of my big brother Rocky's stuff fit me. (He's retired and fuzzy, so he doesn't have to wear blankets anymore, the lucky dog.) So I don't really have much to ask.

I would, however, like some new playmates. I don't understand it, but all of the other guys I'm turned out with are scared of me. I'm only 15.2 on a good day, and I haven't hurt anyone too badly yet. I'm a nice guy... I'm just younger and faster than everyone else. So maybe QHSM could provide me with some other OTTB buddies to play with? None of these guys are fast enough to keep up with me.

Now, for my red-haired-girl... for goodness' sake, please get her some spots for Christmas. I guess she wants to be like that little spotted pony she has... and boy! Is he a weird-looking thing! Anyway, she's always looking for those spot things and can never seem to find them. I don't know what they are, but for some reason she is always losing them when I play my favorite game -- seeing how far away from the jump I can take off! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think my red-haired-girl also needs to learn to steer! She is always trying to run me into these crazy obstacles that I have to jump! It's fun, don't get me wrong, but geez... I never know what's next. All these logs, and scary ditches with monsters in them, and water... and then those brightly colored poles... anyway, please get the red-haired-girl a clue. She doesn't know what she's doing.

What else what else what else... I would like the red-haired-girl to spend more time with us. She always has to go do that "work" thing, when she should be playing with us!

That's it, I think. I don't want much. Maybe some carrots if you have room. I'm just happy that there's grass in that big field I get to go out in every day!

Thank you, Thank you Thank you!

Mummy brought my lovely Rambo Turn Out Sheet today! It is only a tiny bit large because I will soon be a Big Girl and is so very MUCH nicer than the one that Wings has.

Wings was VERY sweet to Mummy, not for presents, either, but because he truly is a NICE boy (even though he was COVERED in crusty stinky mud). He was good to be brushed with the nasty stiff dandy brush and he was very good to wear his old turn out sheet.

I am soooooo sorry that I was not nice to Pockets last week, he did not get new things and Mummy put my weanling sheet on him because it is drizzly out tonight.

Mummy scolded him because he did not wait for all of us and he made his stall door open before Mummy put out hay and gave us our night time treats. He was sorry, though and came back in while Mummy was busy with Wings.

I saw him sneaking back in but didn't tell. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There, see, I am a very nice filly, full of consideration for my brother and our friend. Holiday Spirit! Mummy is happy, we are happy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] She brought a VERY large bag of carrots and we all got some!

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

First, dear Proof Set, QHSM is happy to learn that your owners are finally living up to your expectations. She hopes they continue to do so!

Lucien and Red Storm: QHSM could hardly take issue with your "butting in," as you so charmingly put it, when she would like to take a small measure of credit for bringing uncle and nephew together. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Chester: Beezer thinks you and she would deal very well together. Beezer is FAMOUS around here for coming up with very, ahem, "creative" jumper turns. (Her coach, on more than one occasion, has been heard to mutter, "Well, *I* wouldn't have thought of that...." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) Beezer also has a fondness for horses who like to play tug of war.

Sierra: Is it OK for QHSM to call you by that nickname? Or do you prefer the more formal Exclusive Arrangement? Either way, QHSM has a very soft spot for all expectant mothers. She will do whatever she can to make your wishes come true. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Chiefie: But OF COURSE you get presents. All good horses do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] QHSM will be sure you get "doubles" on the carrots. She will work on getting you faster playmates; you sound like a horse who needs a challenge! As for your little red-haired girl's obsession with seeing spots ... well, that's a common obsession among riders. It's not, dear Chiefie, so much that she wants to WEAR the spots herself, she simply wants to FIND them so she has a better idea when and where to ask you to jump from. QHSM has learned that "finding spots" is a skill horse and rider best develop together so they reach agreement. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh, young, sweet Briana: Chewing a stablemate's tail is a natural compulsion; it is nothing to feel *too* badly over (besides, the humans were probably more upset than your Auntie Blaze). You sound like you're growing up to be a lovely young lady. QHSM will make sure that your humom gets your (very sensible and sweet) request for horse cookies for the whole barn.

And now, Bambie and Alice: QHSM is VERY used to dealing with squabbling siblings. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] She is not above sending you to your stalls for a timeout!

QHSM thinks that the two of you need to learn that bickering, slinging insults and trying to one-up each other are not conducive to good family dynamics. She knows for a fact that you have a kind, loving owner who appreciates each of you for your own unique talents. QHSM is not certain that she can, in good conscience, work on getting your wishes granted until you two promise to work on getting along better with each other. Deal?

***I see trees of green, red roses too. I watch 'em bloom for me and for you. And I think to myself ... what a wonderful world. Yes, what a wonderful world." -- Louie Armstrong.***
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beezer:
    QHSM is not certain that she can, in good conscience, work on getting your wishes granted until you two promise to work on getting along better with each other. Deal?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean I must be nice to zat Hannover fraulien Alice? That is no easy ting that you ask, I am french, she is german.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Oh well, I suppose if it means that mon cherie Jair will be happier (and I will get my presents! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

I'll be nice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Merci for taking the time to respond [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dear QHSM:

If it vill be better for mein Jair, I vill try to be nice to der French horse. He ist not all bad. If only he vere not so.... French.

Ve vill be trying to get along better, however, because ve both vant Jair to haf more time to be mit us und to go to shows mit us. Jair spends too much time looking at rocks und things in der ground, vich I do not understand at all. He does not look for grass or water, only rocks. Wery strange, but I have come to be learning that humans are wery strange much of der time.

Also, I should be wanting to meet der Red Storm und der Lucien. They are Trakehnen, und soo are gut. Not so gut as Hannoveraner, but gut still. I do like older boys to take care of me und admire me, und it seems they are being experienced in proper admiration of der young female. Bambi could do this also, if only Bambi vere not so French.

Again, I am promising to try to be more kind to Bambi, in honor of der Holiday Season. Und because you und your human daughters are freundliche Damen.

Frohe Feiertage,
    Alice

I'm lucky if QHSM gets around to giving ME a freakin' pair of slippers for Christmas, okay?

Not that I'm jealous or anything, or perturbed that Beezer is spending time shilling gifts for all the HORSES! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."