The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you calculate optimum time?

What equation would you use? Let's say I want to gallop 2100 meters at 470mpm. If I divide 2100/470 I get 4.46. How do I then convert that to minutes and seconds? 4.46 doesn't seem like it would equal 4 minutes 46 seconds, it would be something closer to 4 minutes 25 seconds, yes? Sorry if this is stupid; math is not a strong point! Thanks so much!

.47 minutes * 60 seconds/minute = 28.2 seconds

So optimum would be 4 minutes and 28.2 seconds

You are correct to divide 2100 by 470 - it will take you 4.47 minutes (correct rounding ) to gallop 2100 meters at 470 mpm.

That is four whole minutes, and 0.47 of another minute. To convert that 0.47 to seconds, multiply 60 seconds (1 minute) by 0.47, which is 28.2 seconds.

Thus 2100 meters at 470 meters/minute will take you 4:28 (four minutes and twenty-eight seconds).

You guys are so smart!

I don't mean this sound snarky so please don't take it that way. But if you are going 470 you are not going BN or N. Meaning this is not your first event. Have your coaches/trainers not taught you this already? Do you know how to figure speed fault for BN/N/Tr? How about Time Limit?

This is one of the basics, like your position, a half halt, etc.

Sorry. I just see so many people now a days running around courses jumping "big things" and tickled to death (literally) that they got around and survived. But totally clueless that they were out of control, were turning completely off the inside rein with non balance (and that only the grace of God and who knows what else saved their butts), jumping for absolutely horrible spots (and clueless that a long one is NOT a good thing for an oxer, esp not repeatedly), etc. And don't know these things. And as soon as they meet the USEA requirements for moving up, they are all over moving up since they are "qualified".

I am no great shakes. Will never compete at Prelim. But I have had the rules and the basics hammered into me over the past 20+ yrs. I get it ugly a lot but I know when it is ugly and cringe everytime at a show since people see it. But I also don't move up (for a lot of reasons) or go buy a better horse that could pack me around just so I could move up.

Sorry about the small vent. Didn't mean to flame anybody and definitely not directed at the OP in particular.

Her question is just common example of what I see so much of. And it is merely my opinion, and nothing more. Now, back to my hole (otherwise known as the house I have to clean on my weekend off)

I have never been to an event that didn't post the actual optimum time, limit, and speed faults (in other words, do the math for you), so not sure if it is a conditioning or a show question.

But I'm not sure that I would conclude that someone who can't convert decimal minutes to seconds is unsafe and moves up to soon and rides an unbalanced gallop, jumping from horrible spots?

I do all kinds of advanced math at my job and it hasn't helped my position or x-c skills a bit, unfortunately.

I have had plenty of good riders ask me to help with the distance/speed = time calculation.

The ability to do the calculation is pretty much unrelated to riding or competing ability or experience.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

No correlation between math calculations and riding ability. Actually, there might be, but if there is a correlation, I am guessing it isn't a positive correlation. Sometime minds that are good at math, can get overly analytical and can't ride off of feel -- ask me how I know.

Our barn has an old meter that is in feet, rather than meters. I have to do all of the "math" for the talented upper level riders, and then work my tail off to be able to ride at the lower levels.

Math does not translate into riding ability.

This was indeed a conditioning question, but thanks so much for the concern on my ability to ride around a bn course. I have a track metered out, and wanted to be able to accurately ride at 220, 350, 450, 520, etc. fwiw, I've competed through intermediate. And yes, I suck at math.

I think what crosses most people up when calculating is that there are 60 seconds in a minute and not 100. So, in the calculation of the OP - it's about 4.5 mins to get around the 2100 meters - but 4 and 1/2 mins would be 4 mins and 30 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by ottb View Post
    I think what crosses most people up when calculating is that there are 60 seconds in a minute and not 100. So, in the calculation of the OP - it's about 4.5 mins to get around the 2100 meters - but 4 and 1/2 mins would be 4 mins and 30 secs.
    I always thought hours/minutes/seconds should be some factor of 10, too . Can't see it happening though!